Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used transmission price
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I have not had a ton of luck looking for a used manual wbx transmission. One seller who adverts on this site for used parts has one. He was unsure of code but says it's from a 1.9. He wants $1500 for it, with a 30 day warranty. It will be $200 for shipping. That seems high to me, but everything seems to be high right now. I've never priced a used Vanagon transmission, and I know it's a risk. Is that a fair price for this current market?
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Hey man,
I sent you a PM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Don't do it.

For maybe $100 more, you should be able to get a quality "new" rebuild,
(with some good recycled parts) and at least a 2 year warranty... Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

30 days warranty.

Long enough so I can say it has a warranty but since I have no clue what condition it is in I’ll go on vacation until the ‘warranty ‘ expires
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

The only rebuilt ones I have seen are much more than what you are saying. I don't want to trade in my current transmission either. It's a 5 speed and imo would be worth more than the core charge.
I've been offered a much better deal thanks to this site. Part of the VW magic is how most folks into them have morals.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm starting my 5th year on a rebuild from Wright. He's currently asking
$1600 for stock 4 speed with 3 year warranty... <shrug>

Yeah, a 5 speed is a different animal...keep that if you need it. Sounds like it's
gonna work out for you & I'm glad to hear it! Cool

- Dave

PS: What engine you have in your rig?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I am running a 1.6 TD motor.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

The last one I bought (from a very reputable seller, BTW) was $400. That's been a few years back now though.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I have seen used manual transmissions go for $300 to $900 recently. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw one for $500 but I don't think the seller was willing to ship it. That can be a problem.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Yeah, I saw one for $500 but I don't think the seller was willing to ship it. That can be a problem.

You might find a Sambanista who can pack and ship,for time plus materials
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I haven't seen used Trans for under $600 in a long time..

long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I haven't seen used Trans for under $600 in a long time..

long time.

I bought one last year for $300 but it was a 'right place at the right time' situation.

I agree that $600 to $900 is more the real market. (Well maybe $500 for the OP). Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
I have not had a ton of luck looking for a used manual wbx transmission. One seller who adverts on this site for used parts has one. He was unsure of code but says it's from a 1.9. He wants $1500 for it, with a 30 day warranty. It will be $200 for shipping. That seems high to me, but everything seems to be high right now. I've never priced a used Vanagon transmission, and I know it's a risk. Is that a fair price for this current market?

I realize this is an old Thread, but did you find a WBXer transmission?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Been keeping an eye out for a used 091/1 that I could build up as a spare. It’s been slim pickens for well over a year. I’d drive anywhere in Florida to pick one up. Fingers crossed one comes my way.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

My transaxle was lost by UPS on its way to the rebuilder. He came through for me with a rebuildable core for $600.

I doubt that he likes having to do that but I was in a jam and he got me back on the road.

The price seemed fair to me and fortunately I had had the foresight to be adequately insured.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Price hikes on transmissions and transmission components seems to have skyrocketed because people are either hoarding these items, or the components truly don't exist anymore because they've been sent to the scrap heap. Either way, it's creating some serious price shock and availability concerns.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Price hikes on transmissions and transmission components seems to have skyrocketed because people are either hoarding these items, or the components truly don't exist anymore because they've been sent to the scrap heap. Either way, it's creating some serious price shock and availability concerns.

We need to recover all the 091 and 091-1 cores that got used in dune buggies that are now headed to the scrap heap because people are moving over to side by side and other ATV''s
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Silverghost500 wrote:

We need to recover all the 091 and 091-1 cores that got used in dune buggies that are now headed to the scrap heap because people are moving over to side by side and other ATV''s

I agree 100%.

I know it is only a drop in barrel, but about five years ago, I started buying transmissions... mostly the 002 3-rib. Those are the ones the mud buggy crowd use in my neck of the woods. Although side-by-sides and ATVs are popular here, there is still a sizable mud buggy crowd.

I've picked up a few 091s as well as 091/1s. I rescued a 1991 091/1 from going to the scrap man by about two days. It has issues according to the guy I got it from.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

It's not just the manual transmissions that are getting rare. It's the automatics too. I searched for several months in my region before finding one complete automatic transmission. Of course, I've talked to folks the past couple of years who admitted how many they sent to the scrap yard because they thought no one wanted them, and didn't want to store them or have infinite space to do so.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: