Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used transmission price
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
It's not just the manual transmissions that are getting rare. It's the automatics too. I searched for several months in my region before finding one complete automatic transmission. Of course, I've talked to folks the past couple of years who admitted how many they sent to the scrap yard because they thought no one wanted them, and didn't want to store them or have infinite space to do so.

Edit: well, I just realized I may have broke rules .... so, I edited accordingly.

There is a WBXer Vanagon Auto transmission in FB Market in Ohio. (link deleted)

There is an auto transmission for an 83 Air cool in FB Market in Alabama. (link deleted)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I actually was offered a clean looking '86 4 speed at a good price. Due to stuff on my end, like drinking etc.. I never got the trans. Just now getting back interested in the van, realizing that I squandered a good opportunity.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I wondered what happened to you, figured you got a better deal. I ended up selling that trans to a guy from a VW Facebook page for $425 plus that mount, to replace his whining transmission, I just wanted it out of my shed. He says it's working great for him. Then I see he sold his old trans for more than he paid for mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
I actually was offered a clean looking '86 4 speed at a good price. Due to stuff on my end, like drinking etc.. I never got the trans. Just now getting back interested in the van, realizing that I squandered a good opportunity.
What's the deal with your current 5 speed? I just pulled mine for a refresh. One of the Rollax bearings for a shift fork broke. So those will get replaced along with the 4-5 slider hub and anything else that's needed. Plenty of time to get done before a trip from Massachusetts to Tennessee in July!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Quote:
Plenty of time to get done before a trip from Massachusetts to Tennessee in July!

You likely publicly jinxed yourself. Wink
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:
Plenty of time to get done before a trip from Massachusetts to Tennessee in July!

Of course I did! But I'm stubborn Laughing
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

July of what year! Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

Of course I did! But I'm stubborn Laughing

I’m still driving a fair amount between Albany and nyc, possible portal to Steedle in NJ
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

My current 5 speed still works great, I don't really drive it because of the broken spring clip? that came out with a trans. fluid change. I'll probably end up getting this one rebuilt and have the r&p changed out. That will be while I am installing an old tdi. Hopefully this year.

Big thanks to Greggk for the offer. The deal was great to begin with. He was going to throw in a trans mount that he had cleaned and painted and done a sweet job for no extra money. He just wanted to get what he had paid or something like that. Really good type of person that the community needs.
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

I acquired a few basket case boxes that I am not sure if any parts are good. One has a destroyed pinion and no ring. Someone took them partially apart and the other three rings are loose so I don't know what one they were paired with.
I am hoping that there is some good parts for use but not sure where to take them as I need mine rebuilt as well.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

My spare 4-spd was bought from a friend, who's wife wanted it out of the garage.
I got it for $350 and it's from a '90 supposed to be in fine condition.
Short of sending them away for a rebuild, how do you test these?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
...Short of sending them away for a rebuild, how do you test these?

How I test a conventional gearbox (Maytag motor):

But would that work with a transaxle? I don't see why not. Still, not the same as either an inspection or use under load.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
My current 5 speed still works great, I don't really drive it because of the broken spring clip? that came out with a trans. fluid change. I'll probably end up getting this one rebuilt and have the r&p changed out. That will be while I am installing an old tdi. Hopefully this year.

Big thanks to Greggk for the offer. The deal was great to begin with. He was going to throw in a trans mount that he had cleaned and painted and done a sweet job for no extra money. He just wanted to get what he had paid or something like that. Really good type of person that the community needs.
That's exactly what made me immediately stop driving mine. Found remnants of the Rollax shift fork bushing in an oil change. That and it was suddenly popping out of first...I think because of the bushing failure. I'm almost completely torn down and so far everything looks great on the inside. These are some of the pieces i found. Found 2 balls from it when I opened it up.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
I know it is only a drop in barrel, but about five years ago, I started buying transmissions... mostly the 002 3-rib. Those are the ones the mud buggy crowd use in my neck of the woods. Although side-by-sides and ATVs are popular here, there is still a sizable mud buggy crowd.

Why 3-rib 002s? For Vanagon applications?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:
AndyBees wrote:
I know it is only a drop in barrel, but about five years ago, I started buying transmissions... mostly the 002 3-rib. Those are the ones the mud buggy crowd use in my neck of the woods. Although side-by-sides and ATVs are popular here, there is still a sizable mud buggy crowd.

Why 3-rib 002s? For Vanagon applications?

I rebuild them for the mud buggy crowd in my neck of the woods. Also, as each day/week/moth/year goes by they become more scarce.... same with all the others. And, the 3-rib Diesel transmission is an 091 in disguise.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

I rebuild them for the mud buggy crowd in my neck of the woods. Also, as each day/week/moth/year goes by they become more scarce.... same with all the others. And, the 3-rib Diesel transmission is an 091 in disguise.

Cool. Yeah, I have a 71 Bus and acquired a spare 002 along the way (from a 72-74, I believe) which is part of why I ask.

The other part is because I'm picking up a diesel Vanagon soon and am looking into transaxle upgrades! Very Happy
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

Cool. Yeah, I have a 71 Bus and acquired a spare 002 along the way (from a 72-74, I believe) which is part of why I ask.

The other part is because I'm picking up a diesel Vanagon soon and am looking into transaxle upgrades! Very Happy

The shifter "mechanisms" on the outside of the 002 and diesel transmission are not the same. So, the shift rods from the Diesel Vanagon and floor shifter would need to be moved to the Bus (if that's possible). Also, the front mount on the transmissions are not the same. To make the swap would be a challenge.

The 002 can be upgraded and at a cheaper price.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
avocado_tom wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

The shifter "mechanisms" on the outside of the 002 and diesel transmission are not the same. So, the shift rods from the Diesel Vanagon and floor shifter would need to be moved to the Bus (if that's possible). Also, the front mount on the transmissions are not the same. To make the swap would be a challenge.

The 002 can be upgraded and at a cheaper price.

Oh, I was actually thinking of moving the opposite direction: upgrading the transaxle of the diesel Vanagon, either by moving to a 091 or possibly by just rebuilding the stock transaxle (as it sounds like going to an 002 isn't sound practicable).
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

Very happy to have scored a used 2WD transaxle today for $200 from a Samba member who was looking to simplify his life a bit. He had removed it from a parts van several years ago and had stored it. Shifted through all the gears - a bit crusty on the outside, but hey, it's New England. This was a combination of luck and determination. I have been watching here and Craigslist for some time. He is also selling a tintop, which is here in the Classifieds. He had mentioned in the ad that he had a spare trans, so I messaged him and we made a deal. For now I am just going to clean it up and keep it handy. They are still out there, and probably best to go looking for one before you need it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Used transmission price Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
For now I am just going to clean it up and keep it handy.

I'd take off the bellhousing and the front cover ..... for a peek.
It's just a few bolts and you can wiggle on shafts/bearings.
Perhaps gain confidence that it's run-able.
👍🏽What if it's real nice inside.👍🏽

🙏🏽
🙏🏽
🙏🏽
Maybe its been stored since the era when low-mile Vanagons were being parted out for headgasket leaks.

Probably should have it renewed thru by a pro while they're still doin' it,
and while parts are available.

The 'pinion bearing' was unavailable recently, for example (but now it's back!)
If you wait 5 years, some other required part could go NLA.

A gearbox ready to go in your van - at moment's notice - is a beautiful thing.
Except keep it quiet, there's a word being bandied about..... 'privileged' Wink Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: