Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing questions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robertmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Timing questions Reply with quote

On a 356 with a 009 distributor, is it correct that counter clockwise advances the timing? Also, If you have tdc mark and 5 degrees before tdc mark on pulley. Is advanced timing when the tdc mark is to the right of the mark on the case? And retarded the opposite? Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: timing questions Reply with quote

Ccw will.advance the ignition

Dump.that 009 and get the correct vj4br18 distributor

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robertmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: timing questions Reply with quote

So if timing is retarded does that mean the tdc and 5 degree before tdc will be to the left of the mark on the case?
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: timing questions Reply with quote

There is an excellent U tube video series on356 maintainance called Heide & Franny’s Garage. Don’t laugh until you visit. I just watched ‘electrical tune up’ and she carefully explained how to properly time your engine.
She has a whole series on 356 service.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: timing questions Reply with quote

Robertmark wrote:
So if timing is retarded does that mean the tdc and 5 degree before tdc will be to the left of the mark on the case?

To the left of case split is advance but you are using a 009 so you have to time with a timing light to max. advance at 3000 RPM and let the idle measurement fall where it may as the book is for a vacuum advance dist.. If you have a protractor you can lay out a degree wheel the size of your pulley and find out the measurement from TDC to 32*-34* and make a mark there or where the motor runs without pinging with the gas you are using.
Robertmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Timing questions Reply with quote

"To the left of split is advance" is exactly what I was curious about. And yes,
I've watched Heidi and Franny, very informative, but she didn't come out and say which direction the pulley goes to advance.

Thanks all, appreciate the help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Timing questions Reply with quote

BTW, the 009 has 22* advance which the VJ4BR18 has 32* advance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robertmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Timing questions Reply with quote

I got my engines confused. The engine I am referring to has a 1600 normal with its stock distributor with the 32* advance. My pulley only has one mark on it, the tdc, there is no btdc mark. It is currently timed to the tdc mark. Should I mark the 5* btdc, and time it to that? With a fresh battery it seems to turn over a little slower than I would expect. Someone said if timing is off, it can make it do that. ??
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing questions Reply with quote

If you have 32* adv. time a TDC because that is close to max. advance, that is why you need to mark the pulley for max. advance when you find the point the motor won't "Ping" at WOT going up a grade with the gas you are using because the book is for ethanol free gas so your actual timing has to be adjusted for todays gas.
356roady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing questions Reply with quote

Please help with timing on a 1960 Porsche 356 1600 N .022 Dist, Everything lines up when static timing the motor. Its a total different story when using a vintage Penske 12 volt timing light hooked to a 12 volt battery. Pickup installed on Cyl. # 1. At idle the engine pulley with light going shows mark of around 35 degrees BTDC lined up with case line. Upon rev the motor all timing marks on pulley go to the left !! 5 degree mark BTDC on pulley is like 30 degrees ATDC with light . Any one out there know whats going on with this? Thank you very much
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: