Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time in NY. Any recommendations?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luftgekült
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi,
My wife and me will be traveling to NY in July. It's going to be or first time in the US.
What museums, activities, shops, etc would you recommend to a motorhead like me? 😊 That's in case my wife left me some free time 😂😂😂
Any other useful information is also greatilly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

As it stands now and last I heard you need a C19 card to get into anything. Weather that is issued by the state of NY or not, I'm not sure

You'd be better off getting a list of stuff you want to see and find out what restrictions you may have and hoops you have to jump thru to see anything.

It may be worth reaching out to a travel agent to see what the deal is....and even at that expect the rules to change

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

I think the proof of vaccination rule was lifted as of March 7th. It's up to the individual businesses to decide on customer requirements. Employees have to be vaccinated though I'm pretty sure.

Of course, things can always change.

https://fortune.com/2022/03/04/new-york-city-ends-mask-vaccine-mandates-march-7-covid-19/

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

You want to have a vaccination card and photo ID, as some restaurants may demand it prior to seating. Others not so much.
Gear head in NY? Moma had a car exhibit last year, but I believe it's done. They have some cool things industrial design area of the museum.

With the weather getting better, nothing like a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Ride the ferry to Staten Island and back.
There's the NYC Transit museum in Brooklyn, down in a subway tunnel. Grand Central is nice to wander thru, as is the downtown Occulus space.
As cheezetastical as it sounds, Circle line tour around Manhattan on a nice day nets some amazing vantage points
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

You know?
New York is a State.... lots of great places to go and things to do!

New York City is a town........ crowded, dirty and expensive.
If I lived in New York State, I'd campaign that New York City and Long Island have there own unique license plate. That way maybe the New Yorker Hate would wane. New York State is a great place with nice people.......

I'm trying to remember my last trip to City for fun......
ellis Island, Statue of Liberty ....... but they're both in Jersey. NYC claims to own it but the mailing address is Jersey City NJ. Actually the Federal Government owns the island, has since the very early 1800's.

But if you must go to NYC, hit the highlights.
Rockerfeller Center
Times Square
Museum of Natural History
DUMBO
The Mountain of Garbage on Staten Island ......
there is a old cold water flat pretty much preserved as it was decades ago.
Take a ride up the Hudson to the Cloisters.

For my money? Head upstate, Adirondacks, finger lakes, Catskills........

Cities are places to drive around...... not into.
If I have "Cityitis" ...... I'll go to Philly instead of NYC and wander around the area near independence Hall. Much calmer, more interesting and cleaner.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Wow.. what a Debbie Downer.

New York City is one of the great cities of the world.

Wall Street
World Trade Center
9/11 museum
Greenwich Village
Lower East Side
China Town
Little Italy
SoHo
Times Square
Central Park
Museum of Modern Art
Lincoln Center
Harlem
USS Intrepid
Hells Kitchen

Bronx Zoo
Yankee Stadium
Bronx Botanical Garden
Arthur Ave

Coney Island
Luna Park
Prospect Park
Brooklyn Bridge

Astoria
Flushing Meadow Park
Citi Field
Hall of Science

I've lived near NYC for 66 years and still find new things to do.

On my list is the Louis Armstrong house in Queens.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Wow.. what a Debbie Downer.

New York City is one of the great cities of the world.

Wall Street
World Trade Center
9/11 museum
Greenwich Village
Lower East Side
China Town
Little Italy
SoHo
Times Square
Central Park
Museum of Modern Art
Lincoln Center
Harlem
USS Intrepid
Hells Kitchen

Bronx Zoo
Yankee Stadium
Bronx Botanical Garden
Arthur Ave

Coney Island
Luna Park
Prospect Park
Brooklyn Bridge

Astoria
Flushing Meadow Park
Citi Field
Hall of Science

I've lived near NYC for 66 years and still find new things to do.

On my list is the Louis Armstrong house in Queens.

I’m retiring from upstate to Long Island. I can sit by the water and meet 12 people speaking 6 different languages in 15 minutes. I can be in Manhattan in 90 minutes for $14. I can walk to my sailboat in 5 minutes.

I can’t find OlivecGarden though.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Yep, it has all of that stuff but it is still New York City, a crowded, dirty and expensive City.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Divert your flight and go to Honolulu.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

X2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10+
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yep, it has all of that stuff but it is still New York City, a crowded, dirty and expensive City.

all cities are crowded, expensive and dirty. turns out it costs money to have cool stuff. and people gravitate towards cool stuff. and people are messy. the rural parts of the country arent exactly tidy.

my favorite thing to do in NYC is to get dollar pizza and go to central park. meal and an afternoon for super cheap. in kansas you cant even get crappy slices of pizza for a buck.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

I used to go to Long Island to pick up machines all the time few years back. I like upstate too.

But I will not be in the city -if I can help it. Why anyone will visit the city is crazy.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

When I lived in Honolulu I vacationed in NYC. Wink
I’ve been to many city’s around the world and NYC is one of my favorites. I have not been in 20 years so I’m not sure what’s changed.

-I enjoyed the Empire State Building observatory. Even better then the old Trade center.
-Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.
-Walking from One World Trade Center to Central Park.
-See a play
-Any Sporting event you can get to. Even if you are not a sports fan.
-Check out some unique restaurants
-Brooklyn if you have time.
-The Tonight Show, The Late Show, SNL, and etc.

It’s a great city to be a tourist. So much to do.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

When I lived in Honolulu I vacationed in NYC. Wink
I’ve been to many city’s around the world and NYC is one of my favorites. I have not been in 20 years so I’m not sure what’s changed.

-I enjoyed the Empire State Building observatory. Even better then the old Trade center.
-Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty.
-Walking from One World Trade Center to Central Park.
-See a play
-Any Sporting event you can get to. Even if you are not a sports fan.
-Check out some unique restaurants
-Brooklyn if you have time.
-The Tonight Show, The Late Show, SNL, and etc.

It’s a great city to be a tourist. So much to do.

Noo Yawk City is full of Noo Yawkers. The rudest, most arrogant people that I have ever met. TG my parents wised up and moved from there to SoCal before I was born. Every time I run into Yankees fans I'm reminded how obnoxious these people are. Go TF home. It's a great city to visit if you like being treated like shit.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

all cities are crowded, expensive and dirty. turns out it costs money to have cool stuff. and people gravitate towards cool stuff. and people are messy.

Laughing

Link

i follow Louis from time to time about the R2R stuff he posts. he pretty much nails NYC to a T. worth watching

Jon Schmid wrote:

Noo Yawk City is full of Noo Yawkers. The rudest, most arrogant people that I have ever met..

agreed. every one of them is better than you just ask them, they'll be happy to tell you.

that has been my experience with NY folks. I know exactly 2 (married couple) who are salt of the earth. the rest of your assessment is spot on.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

moma. van gogh's "starry night" (the world's greatest painting) is there, as is much more great art.

the guggenheim for the stairway.

of course, the statue of liberty, as suggested by others.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Eat at Carmine’s Italian Restaurant in Times Square. Check out a Yankees or Mets baseball game. And I 2nd the Museum of Natural History.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage

Last edited by NJ John on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

i went to SVA, an art school in NYC, in the 1960s - a great city for sure and a hell of an art scene - My dad, took my son and me to the Empire State building, while my mom was at a beauty salon, a few years ago - to park underground for 4 hours was $100, cash - All the way up to the top of the building was $150 ...

Nothing inexpensive about that city - Then, we drove around Central Park and looked at all the "naturalness" in this city of concrete in dad's Mercedes - We had a great time...

I'd recommend just, going with the flow of traffic, when driving or walking - i'd buy an "i love NY tee shirt ", eat at several restaurants, eat at a street vender stand - go to a Broadway show and museums - The Natural History Museum, for sure - forget about cars, for once - the city dwellers are friendly - is not as dirty, as some say
- gotta go, more than once - have fun - z

Commuter parking in Fort Lee, NJ - about 1970...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

new york's alright if you like saxophones.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: First time in NY. Any recommendations? Reply with quote

Cannabis is legal in New York..... just saying.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: