Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

monitor with backup camera
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dormungus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Hi,
My partner insists that we attempt a backup camera in the new rig. Like I dont have 10 other things to do before I worry about it....anyway......

I know they have LCD stereo units that slide into the stereo slot. Unfortunately that slot may be used by up a smallcars in dash AC since this 85 gl had no factory AC.

Has anyone seen a monitor or fabbed up something that goes through the ashtray o. the dash?

Im sure the AC can be wired to move over to the passenger side of the dash but Im just looking at options and at what you ladies and gents may have seeen.

Thanks
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

The VanTop unit functions as a rear view mirror (big view, no obstacles). a back up camera (points down when you are in reverse) and also has a forward facing dash cam:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some wiring to tuck & snake rear to front. I mounted the rear cam with magnets until I was sure I liked the position. Held so well I left it like that:

Details elsewhere in the archives.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Ahwahnee, smart install on the rear camera with those magnets!

I think the rear view mirror monitor is the way to go. I installed the AutoVox V5Pro last year and it’s worked really well aside from a few times where something glitchy happened with the screen, but that went away after cycling the key off and on. This one replaces the stock mirror.

I mounted the camera outside with double sided tape because the rear windows are tinted so dark:
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Ya think you could attach a tablet to the sun shade as a monitor ?
I wouldn't want to look down at the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dormungus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

great ideas ty so much
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

I did a custom Tadi Brothers deal.
I would recommend that you get the largest mirror possible so you can see details and if I were to do it again I would do the extra work to mount the camera in a new third brake light above the hatch back door. I had already done my Nissan third brake light so was too late.

Here is the camera.

Here is the mirror.

Here is where I would put the next Combo Third brake light and backup camera.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Yes, you want the camera up high so that it can look beyond your rack full of bikes when you're backing up. License plate cams are looking straight into the rack upright. It's especially important when I'm using my cargo carrier

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Dormungus wrote:
Hi,
My partner insists that we attempt a backup camera in the new rig.

I know they have LCD stereo units that slide into the stereo slot. Unfortunately that slot may be used by up a smallcars in dash AC since this 85 gl had no factory AC.

Has anyone seen a monitor or fabbed up something that goes through the ashtray o. the dash?

Im sure the AC can be wired to move over to the passenger side of the dash but Im just looking at options and at what you ladies and gents may have seeen.

Thanks

Judging by the bold in the OP's initial (and only) post, it looks like he wants something at the dash level. I have the same need.

I had a TomTom GPS between the tulips and the cup holdler which for me was the right place. Then it died. I have a Galaxy tablet for monitoring my engine management and it also has GPS. It will be mounted in approximately the same place, but since it is lower, will have the bottom edge just above the radio. On a pullout from under the wood dash, so it's not always out. I want to connect a rearview camera to this tablet, which I suspect is about the same thing the OP wants.

Can you help us with advice about a bluetooth camera that could do this?

Thanks, Duncan
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

For a dash-level solution, we use our low windshield-mounted Garmin GPS with a compatible Bluetooth camera at the rear. No cable to run from back to front. Easy tap into the reverse lights wiring.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
For a dash-level solution, we use our low windshield-mounted Garmin GPS with a compatible Bluetooth camera at the rear. No cable to run from back to front. Easy tap into the reverse lights wiring.

What's the a?

Duncan
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:

What's the a?

Duncan

It is a Garmin BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera designed to pair via Bluetooth with most of their recent model GPS units. NOTE: The original 12v power cable that came with the GPS unit must also be replaced as the replacement contains the actual Bluetooth receiver. They can be purchased as a kit ($140 on Amazon) or separately.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

I've been looking for something too - I've seen some wireless cameras, and I think now they are coming out with split systems - where you can mount a screen separate from the head unit. (After looking up again - I guess they are called modular - where the head unit is separate from the display). I think this is the way I will go - when I eventually get there. Probably next year - and the tech will be ready for me..

The tech is advancing so fast - (like you I've got a bunch of different things to do my van) I'm sort of waiting/working on other things, as I figure a year or two can make a big difference with these things.

maybe something like this - https://tinyurl.com/yck5fujc or this https://tinyurl.com/2p8n4z56

or here is the modular type I was thinking of -
https://tinyurl.com/yckvkywh albeit super expensive, there are probably others...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper

Last edited by kguarnotta on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

This is my setup. My rear window is completely covered by the curtains and a piece of aluminum bubble insulation so the camera is set to always on.

Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

I installed the boss double din with front and rear cameras.
Ben Root
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: monitor with backup camera Reply with quote

Mateo83, is your unit the one with the license-plate frame camera? What was your wiring routing to the front unit?
[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: