Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Preacher's 52
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Given that tomorrow will be it's 70th birthday, I thought it appropriate to start a thread on the bus that I recently purchased. I'm a bit of a wordy person and kind of a nerd when it comes to the history of early buses and the stories behind them, so I apologize in advance if I write too much, but it's just me. I will do my best to include as many photos and updates as possible for those, who just prefer pictures. Laughing

I figured to start the thread, even though I am not yet ready to begin progress on the bus in hopes of possibly finding some more information about the bus. (Kind of a long shot). I could also use any advice from the BD experts throughout the process.

This is my 3rd BD, but really the first that I have high hopes of completing. The first 2 were Colombian barndoors, which if you know, you know why I gave up. I have no plans of "restoring" this bus, but rather doing as much as possible to "preserve" it much like the several that been done by the European gents. I have been through all the Awesome Barndoor Resurrection threads for inspiration and there have been so few done here in the US and very few in the past 10 years, so looking to add a recent build to this part of the world.

So on to the bus! It's an April 8, 1952 build with many of the cool early features present and many of the original parts still intact. I purchased the bus from Jakob with the help of his friend Gunther (djfordmanjack) and the two couldn't have been a better bunch of guys. I definitely couldn't have done it without them and have made 2 new friends in Austria. Jakob made it mobile and drove the bus 23 hours to the port for me during the winter, so that it could make it's voyage. Gunther has provided a wealth of info for me and even provided a patina barndoor front bumper for me to roll. 2 months on a ship and it finally arrived in Long Beach! Hope you enjoy the photos and please help me stay motivated to finish the bus. It will require lots of welding, time, money, etc, etc, but I'm ready!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

sweet. good luck and have fun!
@Buswerx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Nice! It's a great starter. Have fun with the build and keep us posted. LMK if you need anything. IG @buswerx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Very cool Bus! An early rear body bumper Standard Micro Bus! Doesn’t get better than this. These rare birds are totally different from later Barndoors, as well the earlier ones.

You have your work cut out. Looking forward to your build and congratulations …………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I'm definitely excited but know it's going to be a big task requiring removal of the body to do all the frame repairs, etc. I don't even think I would attempting it without the wealth of information here and those who have previously done it.

Here are a few more. I'm curious if anyone has information on the headliner color for me? It appears stock but seems to be an unusual color. I dig it though and think I'm going to do it the same.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Wow myklsmyth, sorry I missed the 70th birthday party for you new German Barndoor. It's always nice to see a new find and to me more important to keep the history and as much original as possible.

I never knew it took 2 months to deliver from Europe as I keep eying the 57 in Italy that might have my birthdate. But I am OK with my bus for a bit longer. However it's good to know my next one may travel across the pond and give me plenty of time to start the nursery.

I'm super excited to see your progress even if slow. It's as though a 70 year old baby bus is born here, congratulations. Please continue to share what you learn, the process and all the efforts are as much fun as the bus itself.

BTW what is the story behind the title "The Preacher's 52"?
Linda

Everett can you please add this Birthday Barndoor "The Preacher's 52" into the "Awesome BD resurrection/build threads"? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523630

myklsmyth wrote:
Given that tomorrow will be it's 70th birthday, I thought it appropriate to start a thread on the bus that I recently purchased. I'm a bit of a wordy person and kind of a nerd when it comes to the history of early buses and the stories behind them, so I apologize in advance if I write too much, but it's just me. I will do my best to include as many photos and updates as possible for those, who just prefer pictures. Laughing

I figured to start the thread, even though I am not yet ready to begin progress on the bus in hopes of possibly finding some more information about the bus. (Kind of a long shot). I could also use any advice from the BD experts throughout the process.

This is my 3rd BD, but really the first that I have high hopes of completing. The first 2 were Colombian barndoors, which if you know, you know why I gave up. I have no plans of "restoring" this bus, but rather doing as much as possible to "preserve" it much like the several that been done by the European gents. I have been through all the Awesome Barndoor Resurrection threads for inspiration and there have been so few done here in the US and very few in the past 10 years, so looking to add a recent build to this part of the world.

So on to the bus! It's an April 8, 1952 build with many of the cool early features present and many of the original parts still intact. I purchased the bus from Jakob with the help of his friend Gunther (djfordmanjack) and the two couldn't have been a better bunch of guys. I definitely couldn't have done it without them and have made 2 new friends in Austria. Jakob made it mobile and drove the bus 23 hours to the port for me during the winter, so that it could make it's voyage. Gunther has provided a wealth of info for me and even provided a patina barndoor front bumper for me to roll. 2 months on a ship and it finally arrived in Long Beach! Hope you enjoy the photos and please help me stay motivated to finish the bus. It will require lots of welding, time, money, etc, etc, but I'm ready!!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow myklsmyth, sorry I missed the 70th birthday party for you new German Barndoor. It's always nice to see a new find and to me more important to keep the history and as much original as possible.

I never knew it took 2 months to deliver from Europe as I keep eying the 57 in Italy that might have my birthdate. But I am OK with my bus for a bit longer. However it's good to know my next one may travel across the pond and give me plenty of time to start the nursery.

I'm super excited to see your progress even if slow. It's as though a 70 year old baby bus is born here, congratulations. Please continue to share what you learn, the process and all the efforts are as much fun as the bus itself.

Linda

Hey Linda! Thank you for the kind words! I'm really looking forward to the process and really hope there is much more out there about the history of the bus. As of what I know now, the documents I have date back to 1962 when it was sold at a car dealer in Macedonia. There are some other documents, but I have not been able to decipher the language origin and text yet. In 2011 it was imported to Austria by Jakob and remained there until I purchased it from him.

As to the story behind "Preacher's 52", there is not much to it, other than that I am an associate pastor of a local church and just thought it was a catchy title. Laughing
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

So you are the preacher, very good and in good hands. Post an image of the document here and maybe someone can read it.
Very exciting.

myklsmyth wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Linda

Hey Linda! Thank you for the kind words! I'm really looking forward to the process and really hope there is much more out there about the history of the bus. As of what I know now, the documents I have date back to 1962 when it was sold at a car dealer in Macedonia. There are some other documents, but I have not been able to decipher the language origin and text yet. In 2011 it was imported to Austria by Jakob and remained there until I purchased it from him.

As to the story behind "Preacher's 52", there is not much to it, other than that I am an associate pastor of a local church and just thought it was a catchy title. Laughing

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

The first document translates something like this in Croatian/Bosnian?

In addition to this, we submit a deregistered traffic book for purchased cars through this company, Volkswagen Reg No. BG 119-74 under the sales contract number, 152/117-g for your further use. We apologize for not being able to check out earlier, but owner Vukelic was on the road for a few days. We greet you friendly.

The rest are a mystery to me and if anyone could help that would be great! Thanks, Mike

laszlo805
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Hi Mike
congrats on your new barn door.
can't Waite to see it come along.
also I have some spare Barndoor parts laying around if you need anything let me know
happy you got his early barn door
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Hey Laszlo! Thanks brother and same to you. I think that you’ll be rolling much sooner than me. Laughing I will message you and see if maybe you have some things that I might need. Mike
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Hi
My friend Filip said it is in Serb language...
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

It is official sales bill stamped by the local motor vehicule buro Cool
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:
Hi
My friend Filip said it is in Serb language...

Thank you for the help! Can you tell me if it changed owners on each document and if so, what were the names of the buyers/sellers? Thanks!
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Sorry I can't be of more help...
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

myklsmyth wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Nice ride.. enjoy the buildup. Looks like a nice project.
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

johnny d wrote:
myklsmyth wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Nice ride.. enjoy the buildup. Looks like a nice project.

Thank you sir! I enjoyed reading through your build. It was very inspirational. Cool
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

myklsmyth wrote:

Thank you sir! I enjoyed reading through your build. It was very inspirational. Cool

You are welcome. Smile
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Just adding a few more pictures of all the original bits that came with the bus. Still trying to decide if I want to search for OG seat covers for the front and search for an OG middle. I think the back will clean up nicely and the front back rest is nice, which is why I'm considering trying to stay OG.

Anyone know what the part in the last picture is?
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Preacher's 52 Reply with quote

Surely a bit premature but the more that I see original photos of stock BD's the more that I contemplate whether or not I should go the stock route. I like both lowered and stock but with the traveling speeds of CA highways and insane drivers I've always leaned more towards performance, but I'm having second thoughts. Just wondering what the opinion is of those who drive stock buses in metropolitan areas? Too dangerous?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: