Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
Many who have gone down this same road with their teens ask about safety upgrades. Bottom line is if you want a safe car for them to learn on make a better choice.

There was a thread on here about 10 years ago describing a father/daughter project where they rebuilt a '64 Beetle for her first car. They put in a lot of time and effort over a three year period, and when it was all done, the daughter didn't want it. Not because she didn't like it, but because her friends couldn't ride in it due to their parent's concerns about safety. That was a deal-killer for the kid. Something to think about...

Yeah, it was one of my favorite threads, but was sad to see the outcome.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524322&highlight=
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
Many who have gone down this same road with their teens ask about safety upgrades. Bottom line is if you want a safe car for them to learn on make a better choice.

There was a thread on here about 10 years ago describing a father/daughter project where they rebuilt a '64 Beetle for her first car. They put in a lot of time and effort over a three year period, and when it was all done, the daughter didn't want it. Not because she didn't like it, but because her friends couldn't ride in it due to their parent's concerns about safety. That was a deal-killer for the kid. Something to think about...

Sunday breakfast. Time for one of my trademark apples 'n' oranges anecdotes:

One of my biker buddies just finished tellin' me about this latest near death experience.

We might as well toss in an anecdote about critters and evolution. I wonder how some critters evolve. They just end up as decals on the road. A decal on the road isn't going to participate in creating the next generation of critters. Rolling Eyes

Biker Buddy has an OCC style chopper. The rest of us, we may be geezers but we ride grey market race bikes, old Ducatis and such that were never supposed to be on public roads but somehow slipped though the cracks. Cool

B.B. has a big inch Harley. He says it's around 120 cubic inches bit I think that's BS. His last motor was 80 c.i. with a similar inflated claim. The bike is rigid with an open primary, suicide clutch, jockey shift, long, long girder fork with a ton of rake and no front brake.

Rear sprocket does double duty as a brake disc. It looks cool but the brake pads inevitably pick up oil from the chain.

Bike is built well enough but it's 99% styling. Built to impress in a juggling chainsaws kinda way. Rolling Eyes

B.B. no sooner finished tellin' me about his latest near death experience where the bike almost got the better of him, next breath he tells me he's building one like it for his son. Kid's first bike. Rolling Eyes

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Excellent candidate. It's solid car and great foundation. It's also something that can grow with him over the years if he finds himself liking the VW scene. He will be able to take it to the Wednesday night cruise and get lots of attention. People walk right past the high dollar muscle cars to smile at the old bug. He's going to love it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

We have a solid plan. I have spent a lot of evenings searching this site for info. Good stuff.
We did some paint prep this weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

I know nothing about paint, but I found this odd.
When sanding the rest of the car, I sand thru the ugly paint, original paint, original primer, and then get metal. On the front quarter panel I sand thru ugly paint, original paint, then a layer of rust, then metal. That or they used a rust colored primer in 1966 only on the front quarter panels?

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

buzzlatka wrote:
I know nothing about paint, but I found this odd.
When sanding the rest of the car, I sand thru the ugly paint, original paint, original primer, and then get metal. On the front quarter panel I sand thru ugly paint, original paint, then a layer of rust, then metal. That or they used a rust colored primer in 1966 only on the front quarter panels?

That looks like red oxide primer. I think it was a pretty popular primer to use back then and it’s definitely not original. Likely they re-sprayed the original color over the primer after doing some body work after a accident or such
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

One word: Bugomama. You live close enough.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Minor delay, had some major health issues pop up.
Public Service Announcement, get regular physicals and blood work, especially if you are in your 40's or beyond. Now back to the project.

Finally painting this weekend.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

www.masterseriesct.com silver & black brushes on chassis/inner fenders real sweet!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Paint turned out good, original color. Was able to blend it on the door frames with no lines. It matches the original color/interior perfectly. We painted the battery box and some rust on the pan with POR. The carpets will cover it up. Now time for the fun stuff, putting it back together. Much better than sanding.

We had paint left over, so we are going put it on stands and paint the wheels and brake drums next week.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Dang that looks good. Who painted it for you?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Wow, going back to the Sea Blue? That looks good.

However, I'd talk your son out of those "Mad Max" boonies on the back. They will be a huge tax on the engine, and it's an enormous amount of unsprung weight.

Maybe you can use the extra paint for two stock rear fenders that you could switch over to after experiencing how it rides and handles with those massive meats.

(Also, I'm a sucker for a stock-looking '66.)

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

It looks fantastic.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Looks good and great color. Make sure you at least check above the headliner for dead mice and mice crap ,I've seen it many times.
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

I have found lots of mouse crap. What is the best way to gain access to area above headliner without removing it. We are saving headliner for a later date
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

The Sea Blue which you/your buddy painted the '66 is a lovely color- one of my top 3 VW favorites. Excellent choice!

What rust treatment method did you/your painter use for the surface rust along the sides of the front and in the spare tire well?

Quote:
Last night I was planning on the headliner, but based on posts and talking to my son, we are going to leave that alone

The headliner on my '77 Beetle had some mild smoke stains from the PO which I could not remove with the usual cleaning methods and a mild scuff pad. I bought a can of SEM ivory spray paint for vinyl, waited for a warm day, parked the Beetle outside for a few hours so that the vinyl warmed up, and taped off most of the interior. I only needed to paint the section from the windshield back to about the 2nd lateral support bow seam. The paint worked very well to cover the stains, but there was alot of mist that luckily settled on the masking plastic sheet which covered the entire interior. This was 25 years ago and it's held up very well. So if your headliner has spots per some of your photos but there are no tears, I can highly recommend the paint. But mask the interior and the windows thoroughly so that any mist does not blow outside onto your fresh paint! You can buy that brand at good auto parts stores, such as ones that can also supply exterior paint.

Wheels: Please don't paint the wheels all 1 color... factory scheme was black centers with ivory outer section. That combo will look very good even on your w-i-d-e rear wheels and the fronts.

Safety belts: Make certain you install a new set of modern 3-point lap/shoulder inertia reels, which should come with latches that attach to the original bolt holes in the center tunnel sides slightly aft of the emergency brake.

Is that a large exposed seam break along the front axle's shock tower?! Shocked
buzzlatka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

We used POR in the front trunk and the wheel wells. Then painted over with the blue.

Seat belts are a given

I don't see the seam in the shock tower that you are talking about?

I need to call this thread "in way over my budget"

We have leftover paint so the wheels will be blue. I was going to paint the drums blue also but I can hit them with black spray paint.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

buzzlatka wrote:
We have leftover paint so the wheels will be blue. I was going to paint the drums blue also but I can hit them with black spray paint.

Painting the wheels all blue may be a bit overkill, don't you think? Maybe a two tone blue with white might look better. Something like the ones below, but with the blue on the inner part instead of the black shown?

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

You aren't the first and won't be the last to get in over your head/budget. Ask me how I know Embarassed .

But I gutted through it and now really enjoy the car.

Just do what you're doing - get it back together - stopping and rolling first and enjoy it a while before you do anything else.

I'm enjoying the thread. Keep it coming!
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle rebuild. In way over my head. Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see the seam in the shock tower that you are talking about?

The vertical long black slightly jagged line? As if the shock tower metal ripped apart?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: