Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
I would suggest going to the 1800, there is little difference in price if you use the stock rods and barrel shims. I only had to clearance the piston skirts on my build because I was using the short rods. I am using the in/out pump from CB on my build as well. Some things to consider with your build regardless of the displacement you select:

- read up on center sections and ends as some aftermarket flow more than others.
- cam choice, I went CB 2232 with mine, others like the 2280.
- get everything dynamically balanced.
- you can buy a tool that will allow you to drill your flywheel for 8 dowels. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6548.htm
- you didn’t mention what heads you currently plan to run. I would suggest saving up and doing the heads now - maybe reach out to https://www.performanceworkshop.net/cylinder-heads to get a price on a built set of stock valve sized heads.

Thank you for all the info!

With stock rods I wouldn’t have to shave the piston skirts?

Center sections and ends of what? Sorry I didn’t understand

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Looks like that case needs lots of machining TLC anyway. The decks need resurfacing. Might as well bore to 88mm machine in...or 90.5mm.

I’m going for these
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Piston-Cylinder-Set-88mm-x-69mm-Slip-In-p/vw8800t1k.htm

But haven’t ordered yet. Didn’t know there were 88s that you machine on the case side, I’ll look into it!

Overlanding the USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Update from the shop (finally!):

Seems like I have to stick to 1600 or find a different case

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Overlanding the USA
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

I don’t see any reason it can’t be fixed. Once repaired you can still use the 88’s that slip in at the base and require machined heads.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

This insert might be useful for the one stripped out, enlarged hole:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Big-Sert-Thread-Repair-Insert-10-x-1-5-x-20mm-p/50153.htm

Then use this kit for all of the other cylinder stud holes so that you can reuse your original studs:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Case-Savers-14mm-OD-x-10mm-ID-16-Pieces-p/case-savers-14x2x10-16pcs.htm
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to decide the target compression ratio but I read too many different opinions. A lot of people say the GB information is outdated.

Would you still recommend running compression ratio of 7:1 or even lower?

I plan to use 87 regular gas and want longevity, not racing

Overlanding the USA
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Gene Berg got a lot of things right, but even back in the day his recommendations on compression were IMHO not the way to go.

Go with the recommendations of the cam manufacturer and from experienced builders. Even a stock engine can benefit from tighter deck and slightly more compression.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:
Do you have any pics or link to the scavenge tubular header that you recommend?

In bays a regular empi header was all that would fit back in the day

https://www2.cip1.com/c13-3100/
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:
I’ve been trying to decide the target compression ratio but I read too many different opinions. A lot of people say the GB information is outdated.

Would you still recommend running compression ratio of 7:1 or even lower?

I plan to use 87 regular gas and want longevity, not racing

With the ethanol in todays fuel you can run MUCH more compression which equals better efficiency and power. With a W110 I have been running 9.5:1 for all these years (15 years +). The key is to KNOW YOUR TEMPS!!!!!! Even with a stock engine if you want it to last in a loaded down bus you need to know whats happening. Cylinder head and oil temp gauges are the bare minimum.

What is more important is matching the compression to the cam.

I once built a low compression 'bus' engine, it was a pig and had to have my foot in it all the time just to keep it going.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

UPDATE: Engine Case arrived from the shop!

Overlanding the USA
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:
Update!

Checking some stuff off the “tools and equipment” list

(pic shows Harbor Freight tap and die set)

I often refer to that old Axl Rose chestnut,

"Not to be an asshole, but..."

Not to be an asshole but...

Friends don't let friends buy their machine tools from Harbor Freight. Rolling Eyes

They're not durable. They're not accurate.

I work with an ancient metric tap and die set, an heirloom from my uncle Joe's motorcycle shop. Joe closed up shop and moved out west in 1960.

You only need a couple taps and maybe a die or two to start. I find an 8mm tap and an 8mm die takes care of most of what I need to do. 6mm takes care of the rest of the small holes.

I use an heirloom Starett tap wrench. USA made in Athol, Massachusetts, baby! 70- plus years old and counting. Buy quality and only cry once. Cool

onehappykombi wrote:
UPDATE: Engine Case arrived from the shop

The still reamed out cylinder stud hole is a bummer. The goal of re- machining a case is to end up with a usable case. Rolling Eyes

If a stock case saver won't fix it I would create a custom case saver.
However the existing hole is threaded, that's the thread for our custom case saver.

All of the cylinder studs should have inserts. I don't trust the threads once I've removed the studs. Neither did VW which is why later cases all come with inserts.

It's handy if you have a lathe that will cut metric thread assuming that hole is threaded metric. If it's SAE any old USA lathe can do the job.

A useful lathe trick is to cut a custom thread to fit tight.

onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

The still reamed out cylinder stud hole is a bummer. The goal of re- machining a case is to end up with a usable case. Rolling Eyes

Do you think this case is not usable? If so, why?

The man who did the machine work has been running a machine shop for decades

Overlanding the USA
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Confirming I will go for 1679 mainly due to the oversized case saver that won’t allow opening the case bores. Also because it’s my first build and not dealing with adjustable push rods will make it simpler.

I’ve been trying to find a 1 3/8” header that will work with:

- Moustache bar
- Hitch receiver
- Full flow pump cover
- Better flow than stock muffler
- Under $600 (price of Vintage Speed)
- Heater boxes

Is this impossible??

Alternatively is it worse to run the “restrictive” stock exhaust or an “oversized” 1 1/2” sidewinder?

Thank you !

Overlanding the USA
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

any pic of the repair to the oversized case saver hole?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Overlanding the USA
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Did they turn a new insert or source one?

onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Did they turn a new insert or source one?

I think he had old ones laying around and needed to find one.

Are you trying to do something similar?

Overlanding the USA
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity. I've turned down deals on cases due to similar issues. I turned down a really nice otherwise 36 horse due to a big hole like that.

I have two cases on hand that are good, fortunately.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Isn't this picture of the deep stud on #3? The insert would be down in the bottom of that hole, and it will use one of the longest lower studs in that spot.

Take a couple pics of each whole case half with all the stud holes in the picture frame. Include a close up of anything the guy "repaired".

I don't know why you couldn't cut the case bore. It has been proven cutting into the case saver threads a little bit won't hurt anything.

Brian
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2022 Junkyard engine build project - 1679 or 1800 ? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Take a couple pics of each whole case half with all the stud holes in the picture frame. Include a close up of anything the guy "repaired".

I don't know why you couldn't cut the case bore. It has been proven cutting into the case saver threads a little bit won't hurt anything.

Brian

Overlanding the USA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: