Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

A few months ago, the #1 intake pushrod bended on a recent engine rebuild - total stock. After checking my valve adjustment, the head, the valve springs (all fine), I replaced that bent pushrod with a new one thinking my troubles were behind me - that the bent pushrod was some sort of fluke.

Then when timing the engine and tuning the carb yesterday, a *second* pushrod bended - this time the #2 intake.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So something strange is happening. Any ideas?

I added this latest information to my original thread ("Found an Oil Leak"). But since my issue is no longer an oil leak, I've started this thread with an appropriate title to my problem hoping to get feedback

Thanks, if you can, for brainstorming this issue with me.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Something sticking, lifter? Rocker? Valve? Or maybe binding?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

List what was rebuilt to give us a better picture. Did you hear anything before you found the bent push rod?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

New stock cam. New valve stems and exhaust valves. New lifters. New crank if that matters. New adjusters on the rocker but used old rocker components except a few wavy washers that were worn. Hmm, maybe I'll switch the rockers this time. If it happens a 3 rd time on the other side, then I'll have a primary suspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Are these OG pushrods? Or some aftermarket brand?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

The first broken pushrod was original to the engine. The second broken pushrod happened to be the new replacement.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Use a flashlight and look closely at the valve stems for scoring which could have cause the valve to stick if the clearance of stem and guide are too close. Look at the valve springs for binding when fully open. Is the valve/rocker arm area look nice and oily? if not maybe the rocker arms/shaft might be plugged if not disassembled and oil passages cleaned during rebuild.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Did you get new valve guides and who put the cylinder heads together . Are you seer any dust or shavings the same color as the valve guides . Sounds good switching the rocker assemblies around . Let us know.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Did you get new valve guides and who put the cylinder heads together . Are you seer any dust or shavings the same color as the valve guides . Sounds good switching the rocker assemblies around . Let us know.

Agree. Any brass shavings or glitter in the valve area?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Turn the engine over by hand 90 degrees at a time, and shake/wiggle the pushrod in each 90 position to make sure it isn't getting loose at any position. I had this happen on a junkyard motor and it turned out the pulley was marked wrong and we had been trying to set the valves 180 degrees out- causing the pushrods to become unseated and jamming sideways. Embarassed

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Turn the engine over by hand 90 degrees at a time, and shake/wiggle the pushrod in each 90 position to make sure it isn't getting loose at any position. I had this happen on a junkyard motor and it turned out the pulley was marked wrong and we had been trying to set the valves 180 degrees out- causing the pushrods to become unseated and jamming sideways. Embarassed

Been there a few times! LMAO right now! Thanks for the memory!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Update: I reversed the rockers and inserted cheap expandable push rod tubes to save having to drop the engine. I fired it up and it ran perfectly for about 10 minutes.

Then the gushing oil appeared *again* on the floor. The #1 intake push rod was bent and severed its tube. This is the third time now (first was also #1 intake, second was #2 intake).

So the rocker does not appear to be the problem.

I then measured the valve lash and found that *all* of the valves were alarmingly loose - especially the #1 intake but loose everywhere else too. The looseness, I'm guessing now, is causing the push rod to fall out of its little cup and then get crushed (bent) on the next engine stroke.

So maybe I have a new problem, any thoughts on why all 8 valve lashes would increase after just 10 minutes of idling? This is a new build - new cam, new followers, new stems, new exhaust valves. I feel like I'm missing something easy. Thanks if you have any thoughts.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Are you possibly setting the valve lash at the incorrect time? Idk. It sounds like after your setting the lash, and the valvetrain moves, it's opening up the lash way too much, and the pushrods are falling out of the cups and getting smashed. Like your setting the lash when the lifter is on the ramp, not the base circle.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Are you possibly setting the valve lash at the incorrect time? Idk. It sounds like after your setting the lash, and the valvetrain moves, it's opening up the lash way too much, and the pushrods are falling out of the cups and getting smashed. Like your setting the lash when the lifter is on the ramp, not the base circle.

I've been adjusting these VW valves since I was 16, but how nice it would be if I simply messed things up *three* times when adjusting the valves. Problem would be solved.

So I'm going to try again. After *carefully* setting the valve lash, I'm going to let it idle for just 3 minutes. Then I'll let the engine cool for a day and measure the valves and adjust if necessary. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I just have to wait for a few more expandable push rod tubes to arrive from jbugs.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

I've made silly mistakes in the past.

The only other thing I can think of are the valves have too little clearance to the guides, and are sticking. Unfortunately that's a teardown to fix.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

What makes me think it's not the heads or valves or stems is that *both* sides exhibit excessive valve lash even though the two heads - both stock - were sourced from different places (one original to the engine is on the passenger side).

Egads. This is a weird one. I'm really hoping I have just been stupid when adjusting valves on this car. I'll be dialed in for this next attempt.

Thanks for giving it some thought.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
So maybe I have a new problem, any thoughts on why all 8 valve lashes would increase after just 10 minutes of idling? This is a new build - new cam, new followers, new stems, new exhaust valves. I feel like I'm missing something easy. Thanks if you have any thoughts.

Have you bothered to check the oil yet? Sounds like you have a cam going flat and/or lifter faces getting chewed up. Drain the oil, remove sump plate and take a pic of what you see. You shouldn't be prolonging the idle on a fresh build.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Have you bothered to check the oil yet?

I'll check it today.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Thinking you need to double check TDC. Get a pencil. Pull the number all 4 plugs, rotate till the pencil pushes out, all the way. You may need to rotate the crank back and forth to get it 100%. Once you get it, compare it to the pulley. Is it on the case seam?

I have seen several pulleies modified with an incorrectly placed notch!

Also, the lifters stick very quickly when the oil galley between them get plugged with debri. That debri, also works into the space between the case and the lifter, causing it to bind and eventually causing the case to need new sleeves. Really think you need to pull the motor and check those lifters!

Did you clean out the oil galleys really good when you rebuilt the engine?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Thinking you need to double check TDC. Get a Plastic drinking straw pencil. Pull the number all 4 plugs, rotate till the Straw pencil pushes out, all the way. You may need to rotate the crank back and forth to get it 100%. Once you get it, compare it to the pulley. Is it on the case seam?

I have seen several pulleies modified with an incorrectly placed notch!

Also, the lifters stick very quickly when the oil galley between them get plugged with debri. That debri, also works into the space between the case and the lifter, causing it to bind and eventually causing the case to need new sleeves. Really think you need to pull the motor and check those lifters!

Did you clean out the oil galleys really good when you rebuilt the engine?

Fixed it for ya Jimbo! Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: