Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sidewinder 'Dip'
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Here's two three four examples.
Plenty of people have heard or seen the same around 3-3.5k rpm.

The 1 5/8" apparently top out around 170bhp, ties in with what VW speedshop say their system will support and the CB performance 170hp build. The 180bhp build steps up to 1 3/4"
I only gained a 3hp taking the muffler off, but we know my induction is limited in the upper RPMs until we swap to the 40s but we're not talking about the upper rpms here

Muffler or not, the 'dip' remained. So it seems header related. Right in that rpm we want all the torque.

Has anyone tuned around it?
What did it take?

My engine with the bigger cam in the first chart seems to recover quite well. Why would that be?

My 2276, FK10, 11:1 1 5/8" VW speedshop sidewinder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2280739.jpg

Baz's 2276,JPM cam, 10.2:1 1 5/8" VW speedshop sidewinder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2216496.jpg

2110, FK8, 9.8:1 1 5/8" sidewinder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2076339.jpg

Tabari's 2276 V26 9.8:1 1 5/8" sidewinder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1456904.jpg

Alstrups, 1914, web 163 A1 1 1/2" sidewinder
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1283700.jpg
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Yeah I know.
Tho you take out the dip may also take out the peak below it.
And it can be mild or a problem, a lot to do with the head flow ratio.
Im a believer in 75 percent area ratio as well as flow
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

I don't have a dyno sheet with a dip, but I have put a bunch of miles on my bus with a sidewinder, and I get a 10-11.5 AFR dip right in that same rpm range. When it dips that low, you would guess it kills the power like the graph shows. I can certainly feel mine when it goes rich.

I have tried most everything to get rid of it. Swapping to a VSpeed is next to try. I have noticed it with 3 different engines with the same style sidewinder. All IDF's. I also know another guy with a similar setup, and his does the same thing.

Torben believes mine is related to my flange to muffler section being to short, But other guys have the same issue and different mufflers.

Just a thought on something kinda related. Do you have an AFR chart that goes with the dyno pull? Maybe it would show yours going rich and killing power at the same point?

Brian
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Here is a John Maher 2276 w FK10 with 44 IDFs 42x37.5 hand ported 044 heads and manifolds and came out with 179HP and 177ft lb of torque on the dyno. He used the CSP Python exhaust (which is similar to a sidewinder) in 42mm.

If you look at the graph there is a dip in the torque as well.
https://johnmaherracing.com/2013/02/1953_oval_179bhp/

Maybe you should try a different exhaust to try to get rid of the dip since you are going to hit the dyno again. http://www.ttexhausts.com/vw-beetle-exhaust/

Why do you think your hp/torque numbers are down a bit compared to others-throttle body size and heads and manifold flow and dyno differences?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Using the AA 1 5/8" with no dip, but I believe the primaries to be too long, which should restrict power above 7,000 rpm.

The racers in Real Street that have tried, have removed their sidewinders--all of which ran faster after swapping to a traditional style header arrangement.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

We only made one tweak in that area, but we were doing full power runs nust getting data for when we have bigger throttle bodies on. Everything after the dip was good in terms of AFR.
Yes it did go a little skewy which ties in with the dip, but the VE table scales linearly. Suggesting the exhaust just doesn't scavenge as well around those rpms?

I don't want an exhaust poking out the back, I know the full merged setups make more up top, but they don't quite tickle my pickle.

Tabari, the dyno chart I pulled of your engine shows the exact same dip we're talking about.

74, itb size. Hopefully I'll be into the 160 region soon with a minimised dip

Brian, the dip is still there with no muffler, we tested it on the dyno.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

In a sense... longer duration makes up for longer tubes.
My tri-y does not stick out the back Wink

My latest design could rule them all, in theory, but that's only in theory. LOT more testing needed, but I am confident that there is no need to have it sticking out the back in any case.

Would say more but I am caught off guard, 10-15 years ago I was FAR more into it and I've known about it for 20 years, better late than never.

HOW rich it goes should be an indication if its a problem or a feature.
That richness is double metering from reversion.
Good for MPG, but bad for heat. How can it be good for MPG? well not at WOT.
Secondary volume and length can be tuned to minimize it. IMO secondary length should be at least 2/3 primary length or same as primary length, and also will help to have more volume where it merges. Offroad systems which merge sharp are the worst for this.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

The other day I was looking at one of the cheapy old style bug headers with the super short collector and it got me wondering about "ideal" collector sizing and length. There's lots of good info on the net.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Well I do have a 1 3/4 inch merged "out the back" header that could be tested but I won't be fitting it that's for sure. Maybe you could all chuck in some cash and get Luke to do it ? Yeah thought not Laughing

It'd be like driving a reality train into "dysney world"
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

I have a rich spot (11s) according to my wideband in the same area on my 2110 bus, twin 40 idf's and just a c35 cam, 40x35 heads, with 1.5 inch exhaust. My solution was since I have a cb blackbox was increased the timing a couple degrees in the rich area and then pull it back out as air fuel goes back to mid-upper 12s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

94touring wrote:
I have a rich spot (11s) according to my wideband in the same area on my 2110 bus, twin 40 idf's and just a c35 cam, 40x35 heads, with 1.5 inch exhaust. My solution was since I have a cb blackbox was increased the timing a couple degrees in the rich area and then pull it back out as air fuel goes back to mid-upper 12s.

How did that work out for you? What exhaust are you using?
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

challomoner wrote:
94touring wrote:

How did that work out for you? What exhaust are you using?

Hard to say really since I have no dyno comparison. Figured it must help a little. I already have the maps increase advance based on altitude for when I go to the mountains, which has worked well. It's an empi quiet pack exhaust. Looking into some of the CSP exhaust for an upgrade when this thing falls apart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

94touring wrote:

Exactly! One of the pleasures of being able to program in 3D. That said, the AFR dip may be just about gone, but the power dip is most likely still there, only much less. How much depends on the actual header and muffler set up.

We have been here before, so I will try and strain myself from the large disputs.
Now, wrt port on port induction (Especially with IDF/IDA carbs) and 4 into 1 headers with corresponding muffler systems. - Just about all sidewinder systems have an error in the layout. That is due to space constrainments mainly. It can be fixed within the same basic layout, but it will make the systems even louder. Not many want that.
Most out the back headers have the same problem, which is, that the secondary collector (From the collector flange to the muffler) is too short. This results in some unwanted turbulence and basicly improves the scavenging issues in certain rpm areas. This can be seen all the way down to a simple W100 cam or similar.

A few headers are much less sensetive to this. The CSP Super Comp is one of them. Yes, it "only" has a short stamped collector, though with a relatively large flange/outlet, - AND it has long tubes from there to the muffler. This solves at least 50% of the issue. If you have good carbs like 40 Dells or Weber Trijets you can make a completely straight power curve from 2000 & up even with a cam in the 256 degrees @ 0,050" range. The EVO does it aalmost as good and can handle a tad more cam duration before the system hits the wall, - like Web 86b, FK8, FK44 and similar. It - is - after all also a street system, so that sort of makes sense.

That said, a 4 into 1 header is actually not the best option for 75% of the builds, but it is what we have been bottle fed with since Speedwell and Empi entered the scene some 60 years ago. Some of it was/is also due to the simple fact of the layout of the engine, so a fourtuned header was the easy way.
Probably something like 50% of the medium power tuners would have been much better off with a 4-2-1 header, as we use extensively with inline engines. But, then you canīt have heaterboxes unless you build something creative. So thatīs a set back for some people at least. - By using 4-2-1 headers you can adress two peak torque areas and you can adjust the 2nd tubes for the rpm band you want thew most along with sizing the secondary collector so you can control the total amount of scavenging.
Modok have shown a layout at some point (I think. Correct me if Iīm wrong) While I donīt buy into the whole package heīs onto sumptinī

As I have also advokated before, systems like the Vintage Speed SS143 and the BAS Customsport "shorty headers" are really good for people that want the most torque in the driving rpms, but dont care much for power above approx 5500 rpm. Due to the shorter primaries these mufflers optimize at different (lower) rpms and due to this they eliminate the afr dip almost completely. These mufflers shine the most in conjunction with cam durations up to 250 degrees, no more. Well, you can of course, but then the upper rpm band will suffer more.

Getting back to the sidewinder systems. You can to a certain extend solve the issue by replacing the muffler with someting better like a 2 in line system, one muffler on each side. Even for the garage mechanic, who can weld, it is a relatively simple job, only somewhat time consuming before everything sits correct.
If you wanna go ballistic you can look into dialing in the secondary collector and sizing expansion chambers and finally figure out which total exhaust length NOT to hit.
As for performance windows with varius headers. Most 1 5/8" headers will support 180 hp easy. But it also depends somewhat on the muffler. Some, like the Python, even more. (With a displacement & rpm specific set up 200 hp is not a problem, but not necessarily what you want.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alstrup on Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Very informative post torben. Guess I'm going for the ballistic option then 😅
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

A tri-y with secondaries 1/2 primary length, and tertiary 1/2 primary length
DOES work very well, and has no dips, but it's powerband is not very wide.
Compared to the dyno graphs here what you get is flipping the dip and the hump before it, just swaps them, so the powerband is "dip free" but actually narrower.
Although IMO that WORKS better for street driving and canyon carving. Killer midrange. Engine runs more consistent temperature. Good MPG when driving in the lower rpms.
But for street/strip it's not better. If you want to CRAWL on the street and fly at the track and/or when nobody is looking....not as good, because you are just using the top end and the bottom end, and will have live with some reversion in the midrange.
Lengthening the tertiary improves low end AND top end, but CREATES a dip in the middle.
Shortening the secondaries means you have to shorten the tertiary also so that's no overall improvement either, just narrower powerband.
So that "system" I think, "is what it is" and you can take it or leave it.
I've seen that kind of length ratio work well on MANY kinds of engines, and it works on VW and Porsche too.
But there are more possibilities. Very Happy
The SAME way added volume near the merge can SOFTEN the problem in a four into one, SO can it with a tri-y.
The primaries can merge into the secondaries tight, but where the secondaries merge into the tertiary..... that is where volume could be added to allow the tertiary length to be longer and/or secondaries to be shorter and soften the bounce back from the other side.
I believe it CAN work and it hasn't been tried much.

Probably should learn how to tune your regular header too.
So, ready when you are. Get some tubing and lets get to welding.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Yeah, but oin the other hand, this 1 / ― / ― length is the part that I do not necessarily buy. I see the theory behind it, but real life sometimes differ from the theory. My reasoning is, that if you look at say a 1700 cc Kent engine I helped tune last fall, where we went from a 4-1 short tube header and a very annoying power and afr dip in the midrange to a hand built 4-2-1 header (The engine resides in a Westfield 7, so nothing fits and have to be hand built) The guy that built the header basicly copied a Burton 4-2-1 from a Fiesta XR2. Burtons super street/race header is 1 / 1,5 / 1. This engine pulls a healthy 145 hp @ 6300.
Also, both Simons and Supersprint 4/2-1 headers for Golf & Jettaīs are 1 / 2 / 0,5, or their high rpm ones which are 1 / 1,5 / 0,5
Manufacturers for Honda tend to use 1 / 1 / 0,5 for street engines and a lkittle shorter secondaries for higher rpm track engines.
Opel is basicly the same pattern.
I had the opportunity to help work on a Mercedes 230 SLK which had a Klemann power kit installed (It went bad because they over did it as Klemann often do, so it needed a rebuild.) This engine has an M62 supercharger, so it is not 100% apples to apples, BUT, I did notice that the Supersprint header on it also was 1 / 1 / 0,5. This engine was 235 hp/350 Nm after the detune.

All this taken into consideration, with most of these engines designed to peak at or above 6000 rpm I have the feeling that the secondaries should be longer if possible.
Also, when the Slk 230 was repaired I came across a calculator specificly developed for designing 4-2-1īs for Mercedes. We played a little with it both with low and high boost to see how it affected the exhaust lengths and in all cases it recommended secondaries in the 3/4 to 1 compared to the primaries.

As always, we will have some space limitations, but based on these observations I tend to lean in the direction of relatively longer secondaries in order to make the engine have a wider powerband. But I am open to be proved wrong Cool
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Does changing the intake length make any difference to where the dip is and how bad it is ?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Does changing the intake length make any difference to where the dip is and how bad it is ?

We'll find out, Paul has trumpets we can try
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:

Having taller stacks will bring the power band lower into the rpms. I'd expect to see a shift with the dip. I never took notes on the dip going to taller stacks and adding half inch phenolic spacers, other than a leaner mixture above about 4300rpms when doing WOT pulls. My rich dip is around 3000-3200rpms as a comparison to the dyno charts above.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sidewinder 'Dip' Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Yes, All things equal, going from say a fairly accurate 14" for a peak power at 6000 on the third pulse to say 16" on the second pulse (Give or take a little for the intake diameter) The dip will usually smooth out a little. Going insanely long like 18" usually creates a torque spike just above the afr dip area and then it flattens out again. I have naturally not seen it all, but I have never seen the afr dip disappear just by changing the intake length.

This is not street, but still somewhat interesting. - I was a little involved in a 3 liter VW type 4 dragrace engine some years back. It pulled a healthy 318 hp which was quite respectable for the time and the money invested in the project. However, it had a nasty flat spot in the power curve anound 6000 rpm. None of the hot shot tuners in this part of the world had any remedy for that. Then one day I came to think of a Finnish guy that also ran a large cc type 4. This guy had extremely long intakes, so I began to look into it a little, and I thought "what if" we extended the intake length intead of focussing on the third harmonic wave which everybody seem to be rather focussed on. So I asked them to make some extensions to go between the carbs and manifolds. a set of 40 and a set of 60 mm. Everybody basicly laughed at me with the exception of the owner, right up until they made the first pulls. Then their jaws dropped to the floor, because even the 40 mm extensions almost elliminated the flat spot, and the 60 mm spacers cured the issue completely, and, without loosing any top end power. There is no mathematical explanation for this that I know of, but it works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: