Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 resto mod build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

After about 20 years of no beetles… I bought this 67. Have had it now for about 6 months and have been accumulating the parts required to restore.

The plan is to restore for my 16 year old daughter. Will be stockish looking but lowered and fully refreshed.

Pretty complete but needs new heater channels and pan half’s to be safe. Going to replace the whole braking system as well. Already has a 1600dp which is nice.

Pretty excited - current plan is to stay with the lotus white but switch to a red interior.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Parts accumulated so far:

Nice pair of real vw 64 front fenders and German patch panel for rear fender with hole
SS front and rear bumpers with over riders
Repro style slatted roof rack
Black BRM’s and new smoothies with SS caps - not sure which way to go yet…
New Headlight assemblies with fluted lenses
New front turn signal housings/lenses
TMI red vinyl upholstery
TMI red door panels
TMI black carpet
New ivory steering wheel
New brake parts all around and MC
New drop spindles and set of beam adjusters
A bunch of misc hardware and small bits.
New pan halves
New heater channels
New misc sheet metal for around lower wheel wells
New 2 tip exhaust
New dual Empi Weber style carbs
New German fender beading
New pan gasket and a bunch of body seals
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Right off the bat. I can see you have a major issue with your engine.

How's that supposed to work upside down? Shocked

Of course I am kidding!

Enjoy your project.

And welcome back into the sickness.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Right off the bat. I can see you have a major issue with your engine.

How's that supposed to work upside down? Shocked

Of course I am kidding!

Enjoy your project.

And welcome back into the sickness.

Haha thanks - not sure why the pic flipped but not much to see there….

I was following along from the beginning with your saga to get your stolen beetle back. Was a good story with a decent ending (so far).

I think this is my 16th air cooled vw since the mid 80’? The last was a cal look 56 in 2002. Was cool to see my old login from 02 was still usable 😀

Significantly harder to find original parts for a reasonable $ these days for sure.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

That is a great start for a project car, I think the Red Interior will look good with the White. Ha ha I have thought about getting early 65-66 fenders to put on mine also never been a fan of the upright head lights. 3 posts since 2002...get busy my man. Smile
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Sweet car. Are you gonna run it a before before you start disassembly? I definitely would.
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Sweet car. Are you gonna run it a before before you start disassembly? I definitely would.

Unfortunately No - floors/channels a bit too rusty for my liking.

Have since started the disassembly process in prep for cutting and replacing metal. I have a plasma cutter, mig/tig welder etc and the skills to do the job decently.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

This is excellent - looking forward to all the progress and pics!
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Awesome car, can't wait to see the progress!
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

As we started to dry out and strip the interior. Looks like the car sat for a few years outside.

Crusty Heater channels - actually much worse than it looks in these pics.

New channels and pans.

Rust hole in the rear passenger fender and replacement donor piece.

vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

The one thing that stands out are the empi carbs . What model are they and they may be tough for a sixteen year old. What part of the U.S. are you located , will you need heat .
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
The one thing that stands out are the empi carbs . What model are they and they may be tough for a sixteen year old. What part of the U.S. are you located , will you need heat .

Vancouver BC.

This is only a summer non daily driver. The carbs will likely not be installed right away and maybe not at all unless I build a bigger motor.

Test fit the BRM’s today - holy baja front end Batman!

pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Just noticed that these 2 pics of my last beetle were still in my old gallery folder from 2002.

Bought in Oct 2001 according to my note. It was a pretty clean older paint California car with a 12v 1600dp.

A good example of how prices have changed - I remember it languished for sale for a few months at $2600 before I bought it for $2100 Canadian.

Canadian / USD exchange was about 1.57 so in USD at the time it would have been about $1350.... Could probably sell the W decklid and 4 fenders for $1300 now.

pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Braces welded in - body can come off now for pans and channels

pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Finally got time to get the passenger fender off. The front clip is a bit wrinkled from a minor accident on this side but not as terrible as I expected. Does not look like the driver side was hit before. I will try and improve this a bit.

The footwell area is pretty poorly repaired where it connects to the channels (both sides) and will have to be replaced when I do the channels.

Other fender will come off in the next couple of days as well as dropping the beam to weld in the adjusters.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

What brand of channels did you get?
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

[quote="toxicavenger70"]What brand of channels did you get?[/

“ESTRIGUARU“ which cip listed as their “best”… I will be installing soon so we will see how well they fit. They feel sturdy and did not have any damage when I picked them up. I’m pretty lucky to live about 20 min from their Canadian warehouse in BC.

https://www.cip1.ca/c24-111-701-061-mhd/
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

[quote="pierre2"]
toxicavenger70 wrote:
What brand of channels did you get?[/

“ESTRIGUARU“ which cip listed as their “best”… I will be installing soon so we will see how well they fit. They feel sturdy and did not have any damage when I picked them up. I’m pretty lucky to live about 20 min from their Canadian warehouse in BC.

I was referring to the heater channels. CIP1 carries Dansk or KLOKKERHOLM. I ordered the Dansk version and they seem pretty decent.
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

[quote="toxicavenger70"]
pierre2 wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
What brand of channels did you get?[/

I was referring to the heater channels. CIP1 carries Dansk or KLOKKERHOLM. I ordered the Dansk version and they seem pretty decent.

Haha... sorry not sure why I looked up the pan details... same I got the Dansk and they seem well made.
pierre2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 resto mod build Reply with quote

Other front fender off. While under there I was looking at the front apron and it does not look replaced or really that bad just kinda dented a bit. Maybe I’m just used to lowered beetles where they get pretty ground ….

Front beam is out now too and not at all rusty. Was a little concerned with how nasty the heater channels were that they might be equally gross under all the crud...

Before pressure washing…

And after…. Going to weld in the adjusters hopefully this weekend and start to reassemble with all new bushings, wheel bearings, dropped spindles and brakes.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: