Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What different/unusual things do you use your VW for?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

I was going to start this in the "off road" section but... why not include everyone?

I will start with what I am using mine for right now - checking oil wells!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I hide it in the battery yard out of sight overnight between the compressor and free water knock out buildings.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Hauling water for the garden.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

my 2332 baja street car with skinys on the front & 19.5x33 mickey thompson sportsman prostreet tires on the rear was a school buss for many years for 4-5 kids every day until highschool.I think they kids loved it more than I did.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Maybe not as unusual but our street Buggy has pulled this on holidays.

And this one locally.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Dragging the horse arena

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Nice to see I am not the only one that does goofy things!

Here is my go at raking hay. Worked fine on the flat but on a side hill the rake pushed the Buggy around too much to get an even windrow!

marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

sailboat hauler

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

I like it!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Ive seen lots of yard ornaments...
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Buses make good storage containers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive seen lots of yard ornaments...

Thanks for reminding me of the first Beetle Dad bought. He paid $25 for a '59 Beetle as is, where is from a farmer. Well it had been pushed into a slough along with a bunch of other junk. We pulled it out of the mud, put some air in the tires and drug it home. It took several miles before all 4 rusted drums let go and turned. Then when we got it home it took several days to clean the water and rust out of the engine and transaxle.

We cleaned it up and it ran! We mounted them up on top the potato digger to convert it from wheel driven/horses drawn to tractor pulled with it's own engine and gear box.

Dad traded the Beetle body for a truck box utility trailer to haul potatoes in. The fellow who got the Beetle body set it up in his back yard for all the kids in the neighborhood to use as a club house/play ground furniture. The kids LOVED it!

That was back when we lived in a free country... try that today!
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Cool story ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

So much of that story would never/could never happen today.

$25 Beetle,
Towing a derelict car 30 miles with a chain on the road,
Dismantling a car and building machinery in your back yard,
Running an open exhaust engine in the garden Very Happy
Selling potatoes door to door out of a trailer in the fall,
Using a car body for kids to play in! Shocked

And above all... 2 boys working on stuff like that with thier Dad! Today you wouldn't be able to pry them off their devices! I know, I tried with my son...
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

I use mine like you would any other car, groceries, quick trips, commute, you name it. I even buy wood for my woodworking hobbies and carry it in there. Gets a lot of funny looks when you load a dozen grocery bags in the front.

Recently mounted a decklid rack and I'm going to figure out some sort of solution for carrying fishing rods on it, maybe some rod holders meant for boats? The rack will be where I store the camp stove with the rods alongside either side. Trunk up front will have the cooler and tackle, camping chairs, etc.

I set it up with wingnuts at each point so one can easily swing it out of the way to get to the engine.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Excellent idea!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

A few years back I bought plans from GlenL for a VW powered air boat. I swear I will build that sucker one day!

As soon as I get a few other projects out of the way...
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Had the bug out during yardwork, needed some topsoil. Into the back seat it goes

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

My Cousin Ordered Baby Chic's from the Feed Mill In the next tow from us and he heard I was going for chicken feed ,so he ask if I could pick them up ? I was driving the 65 Baja bug so I told him ok as long as their payed for Wink loaded them in the back seat,about 2 sconds later they started chirping so Loud I could hardly stand to drive,,,, got back to his Farm and the Guys had a Good Laugh Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

Back in my grandfather's day, you could tell which farmers in the community were doing well because they could afford a car as well as a truck. Not to be outdone Grampa never own a pickup, he always bought cars. I have memories of him and Gramma stuffing a calf in the backseat of a '47 Chevy two door sedan to take it to the auction mart!

Nobody does that with their VW... I hope!
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What different/unusual things do you use your VW for? Reply with quote

I once hauled 800 lbs of cement in my 91 Passat wagon. I was working in construction back then. I kept the rear seats folded down and used that car like a pickup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: