Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How VW prices used to be
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66bugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

I was looking at old TheSamba postings on a website, and it’s hilarious how VW prices used to be! 1200 for an oval? I wish!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

GAS USED TO BE CHEEP TOO!!! as did other cars. those dayz are long gone.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

How does $125 for a 1963 23 window Samba sound? That's what I paid in the fall of 1974. How I wish I knew then what I know now!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
How does $125 for a 1963 23 window Samba sound? That's what I paid in the fall of 1974. How I wish I knew then what I know now!

You had to pay for shipping , though
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Shipping?? If it wasn't for sale in your town or at least your county you didn't buy it, or know about it in 1974. That was pre internet days... Very Happy
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:

You had to pay for shipping , though

Shipping? What's that?

I drove it home about 25 miles.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Link

This is a compilation of Fisher Buggies commercials from the early 90’s.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

In 2003 I paid $800 and was driving it same day or next day. I had to change rubber brake lines, shoes, and fluid and replace burned fuses. Tires were dry rotted so they were replaced day 3

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Every now and then, I come across older posts on this forum, where someone is getting ripped apart for selling / buying a drivable Split Bus for a few thousand dollars. It wasn’t even that long ago in the grand scheme of things. The early 2000’s were a very different time for VW prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

If you go to Archive.org and find the Wayback machine, it catalogs different snapshots of websites. The Samba.com is on there. You can see all the cheap prices?
https://web.archive.org/web/20050207152427/http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=1

Casey
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

diablosandwich wrote:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050207152427/http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=1

Well this just about made me cry.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050204233340/http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=5
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Days gone by!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

My dad bought a 67 Ghia off a coworker in 1975.
$125.

I let my emotions go when I bought this 67 Ghia in 1997 for $3k.
A running project.
I doubt it would have gone for much more today Shocked

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Remember that real pricing is samba/3

Most of the inflation is in crack smoking sellers who watched BJ

I saw three Split project cars sell under 5k locally here in last 6 months
Yeshua63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

It looks like the vintage VW Bus and Beetle are 2 from about 10 or 12 other car brands and models out there that DO NOT lose value and only increase in value little my little each year.

In 1995 I bought a great 65 bus for $1200, and in my ignorant stupid thinking VW days and sold it a year later. It's my ONLY REGRET in my life and it haunts me daily.

So, to redeem my bad stupid actions over 25 years later, I want to adopt a new VW back into my family to properly Love and Care for like I should have, and I want a Bay Window Bus.

The problem is (like this thread speaks of) the prices for any VW continue to inch up, year after year the longer I wait. 3 years ago, you can find a decent one that needs a little work but looks good for about 8 to 10k. Today - under.
10k gets you mostly projects and no engine "mostly" - but sometimes there are a few good cheap ones you do find.

I thank the point and moral to my story (and self-talk) is we need to buy something - THIS YEAR - IF you can afford it - before the price keep getting higher year after year after year later.
The End -

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

Yeshua63 wrote:

Your old bus is still around. It is/was owned by a woman named Susan (not sure if she has sold it). I remember the first time I saw it was around '98 when she drove it to BugORama in Sacramento. She lives in LA region.

Susan attends the OCTO shows (at least I remember seeing her at one last year) and hangs out at the OCTO booth. There is an OCTO show coming up on June 4th at the Long Beach Community College football stadium parking lot. There will be over 300 early buses in attendance. You should attend and connect with her there and to scope out early and bay window buses for sale.
Yeshua63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Von Hansel post Reply with quote

Surprised Razz Very Happy WOW VON HANSEL - that is such a good tip and SO heart warming to my soul for me to learn. Thank you so very much. Wow.... that's cool.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

I speed up for animals and slow down for VWs.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: How VW prices used to be Reply with quote

In '96, I think, we bought my Mrs.' 67 Square back for $300. She still reminds me that we paid more for a lawn mower that year than we paid for her car. Laughing

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Von Hansel post Reply with quote

Yeshua63 wrote:
Surprised Razz Very Happy WOW VON HANSEL - that is such a good tip and SO heart warming to my soul for me to learn. Thank you so very much. Wow.... that's cool.

My pleasure. In case you were wondering what it looks like now, it hasn't changed much. Here is a pic taken in Long Beach CA back in September

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: