Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Plastic
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

I have one of these Westy trim pieces and it is three times more crinkled than the one shown below from the classifieds.
How would one begin to straighten it out for reuse. It has been years since installed: how does one install it. Is it on the slider door?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

leave it in the sun for a day.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727903&highlight=headsplitter
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663158&highlight=headsplitter

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

I'm certain mine is not the "head splitter" piece. My sense tells me it lives on or around the slider. Here is the original ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2436189
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

Ahhh...., maybe the door sill trim, either way some heat gun application and stretching is in your future.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
I'm certain mine is not the "head splitter" piece. My sense tells me it lives on or around the slider. Here is the original ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2436189

You are correct Stevo, but it doesn't divert rain like the ad claims. It just hides the upper sliding door track. Goes between the curtain rod and the track. MIne's a little wavy, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

They all are wavy. I think it helps keep grease off the curtains. Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

That is another head knocker piece. Kind of a "warning track" for your head. On my 71 the side curtan rail is below it, riveted to the upper roller track for the side door. So this piece is promanantly displayed above the slider. More than once it warned me I was about to smack my head. it wedges in the metal strip that holds the roof panel in along it's bottom. Very Happy
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Plastic Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I washed mine then hung it on a piece of 1X4" wood held down with 7-8 clamps, and left it out in the sun for a couple days. I realized the plastic is quite malleable when I noticed the imprints made by the clamps. So the piece was re-clamped this time with a couple 1/8" slats between the clamps and plastic. Continued leaving it outside another two days before removing clamps. Now I'm staring at it, waiting for it to revert back to its former messed up shape. As I wrote earlier mine was way more tweaked than the one photographed up top. Already I've seen signs that the piece is reverting. So I'll continue leaving it in next week's hot sun for as long as it takes.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: