Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!
What an exciting first post, pictures of such a rare item, new in the box.
The crankshaft you show has bearings marked “34ps”. In the US this is commonly referred to as the 40 horse, and was delivered in production vehicles from 1961-1964.

Please post pictures of the bearings as supplied by SPG, they were factory modified with special oil notches.
kleinergti1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

I just acquired one of these NOS in the box. I can post a picture of the modified bearings if needed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

Is it a 36hp or 40hp roller crank ??? Post pics when you can
Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

Please let us know if it's 36or 40hp and if you're looking to sell it.

A roller crank seems to be the irrational purchase I need in my life

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

kleinergti1 wrote:
I just acquired one of these NOS in the box. I can post a picture of the modified bearings if needed

Please post pictures of the bearings, as I need to modify bearings for a SPG crank
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

I am beginning to feel inadequate as I don't own any roller cranks, let alone a NOS one.

Laughing

I will continue to hope (and pester random strangers about VW parts in the hope of finding such treasures).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

I found a little more info on the bearings:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581552&highlight=spg

raymon covey wrote:
I installed several of these in the 70's. They cut a v shaped grove from the inner oil passage on the bearing with cutter. You could use a file to do this. As the notch reached the outside edge of the bearing it was very small about the size of a .030 drill bit. This would create a spray that would align with the oil hole in the outside of the crank. Grove was bigger on the inside and reduced to smaller size at the exit.

TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 36 HP Roller Crank Thoughts and Opinions Reply with quote

I just purchased a 74mm stroke 356/912 roller bearing crank for a recently acquired 912 engine project. It's been run, tiny amount of wear on the mains, but the thing looks awesome, almost new.

The pictures of the modified bearings are exactly what I needed, much thanks! I've only had (1) SPG roller vw engine apart, back in 2005, and couldn't remember what they looked like. With the price of 356/912 main bearings, I really want to get it right Smile

Someone asked about how to tell if these are 'bad' or not: It's just like checking a press fit 2-stroke motorcycle crank. If you feel any radial clearance in the rod bearings, or can see rust forming on the rod pins by viewing through the rod slits, it's game over. Sure you can press them apart, and reassemble and true them, but unlike a 2-stroke motorcycle, repair parts for the SPG cranks are not available (so far as I know), making them a "throwaway" when the rods, rod roller bearings, and rod journal pins are worn.

A guy could always take a used roller bearing crank to a 2-stroke motorcycle tuner for an opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: