Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

Hey guys...I tried googling this, but I couldn't find a year specific list.

My 63 ragtop is, from what I understand, a European model. It has the steering lock and ignition on the column. It did have Euro bumpers with no overriders until recently.

My question is, what other differences did the European models have for 1963??

Here's a few pictures of the car for reference...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

nice herbie! Cool
euro cars have amber indicator lens in peanuts and in rear lights

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

finster wrote:
nice herbie! Cool
euro cars have amber indicator lens in peanuts and in rear lights

That's right! I forgot all about that. Mine don't have those anymore, if it ever did. I know it's been restored once in its life, so maybe those parts have been lost. I've been trying to dig up the history of the car without alot of success. Hagerty has a person working on a report for me, but I havent heard anything back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

FWIW 1964 had the steering lock and amber tail lights too.

The only other strange thing on mine was the absence of outer front seat belt mounting threads. All others were there. (One family car with no pan mod's)

Anyways....

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

The only other strange thing on mine was the absence of outer front seat belt mounting threads. All others were there. (One family car with no pan mod's)

Anyways....

Interesting! I've got the front seat belts mounted, but I can't find a spot to mount rear seatbelts. My 66 had mounting points for them with threads. This car doesn't seem to have them.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

slowfiveo wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:

Anyways....

Interesting! I've got the front seat belts mounted, but I can't find a spot to mount rear seatbelts. My 66 had mounting points for them with threads. This car doesn't seem to have them.

You drill into the body and use thru bolts with beefy washers backing up the body around the bolts.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

a euro 63 should have shoulder mounts for diagonal seatbelts front and back, look for them, they are there, it's the third lower point for the lap portion that will be missing

by the way not all european spec bugs had steering locks, it was a german market thing only (my old 64 didn't have it)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

Likely kph speedo, and no safety glass for windshield.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

The steering lock was a factory option, standard on convertibles, orange turn signals and separate bulbs with fluted lenses, not sealed beams on the headlights
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
The steering lock was a factory option, standard on convertibles, orange turn signals and separate bulbs with fluted lenses, not sealed beams on the headlights

steering lock was standard since model year 1962, at least for Germany. I saw beetles from Italy, Portugal, France and Austria, where it was obvious not a standard.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
a euro 63 should have shoulder mounts for diagonal seatbelts front and back, look for them, they are there, it's the third lower point for the lap portion that will be missing

by the way not all european spec bugs had steering locks, it was a german market thing only (my old 64 didn't have it)

I do have the mounts for the shoulder belts in the back. I had honestly never paid attention to the caps over the holes.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

How about a photo of the front and rear. Does the body have holes in it for the bumper overrider supports?? A photo whould show that.
By the way I was just in Bluff City a few weeks ago.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
How about a photo of the front and rear. Does the body have holes in it for the bumper overrider supports?? A photo whould show that.
By the way I was just in Bluff City a few weeks ago.

The rear fender does have the holes, but it looks like it may have been drilled to make them in the rear fenders. The spare tire area looks to have been replaced at some point, so that explains over rider holes there.. Here is a few pictures of the front and rear plus the should strap mounting points.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

There are Five basic "SEDAN" models of left-hand drive for 1963 coming out of Germany. They all have different specifications like engines, paint color, interior trim, bumper type, exterior trim. To list the differences would take several pages. Just for instance, the standard models and the Custom models pans have no seat tracks, they have the stud in the floor and the claw and wing nut to secure the tube of the seat frame, and the pan floor has the welded in mushroom fasteners for the old-style floor mats.

1. 111 Standard, with 1200 36 hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
2. 115 Standard, sunroof with 1200 36hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
3. 111 1200 Custom with 1200 36hp with fresh air heat exchangers. Canadian Customs get the 1200 40hp engine.
4. 113 deluxe, with 1200 40hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
5. 117 deluxe sunroof with 1200 40hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
There are Five basic "SEDAN" models of left-hand drive for 1963 coming out of Germany. They all have different specifications like engines, paint color, interior trim, bumper type, exterior trim. To list the differences would take several pages. Just for instance, the standard models and the Custom models pans have no seat tracks, they have the stud in the floor and the claw and wing nut to secure the tube of the seat frame, and the pan floor has the welded in mushroom fasteners for the old-style floor mats.

1. 111 Standard, with 1200 36 hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
2. 115 Standard, sunroof with 1200 36hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
3. 111 1200 Custom with 1200 36hp with fresh air heat exchangers. Canadian Customs get the 1200 40hp engine.
4. 113 deluxe, with 1200 40hp with fresh air heat exchangers.
5. 117 deluxe sunroof with 1200 40hp with fresh air heat exchangers.

Mine is a radio delete car, so I would imagine that'd place it in the standard catagory.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

slowfiveo wrote:
Mine is a radio delete car, so I would imagine that'd place it in the standard catagory.

er no. if your car was originally a standard it has since been deluxified. as helfen says they had basic seat mounts plus other details such as - oval style or three spoke steering wheel, headliner only for centre panel, no glove box lid, only one horn grille, reduced/no chrome etc

slowfiveo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

finster wrote:
slowfiveo wrote:

er no. if your car was originally a standard it has since been deluxified. as helfen says they had basic seat mounts plus other details such as - oval style or three spoke steering wheel, headliner only for centre panel, no glove box lid, only one horn grille, reduced/no chrome etc

I was just assuming standard due to the lack of a radio. It has the factory metal cover there.

Can you still get birth certificates?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

yes you can, here's the link for usa delivery addresses:-
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_us/service/certificate-data-sheets.html

see also 02fun61's post here for a good run through of applying -
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

slowfiveo wrote:
I was just assuming standard due to the lack of a radio. It has the factory metal cover there.

A common misconception nowadays since nearly all new cars come standard with radios and convenience gadgets. There's no such thing as a "radio delete" for our old Beetles, instead a block off plate is what came standard for all models from the factory. A radio was an optional item that added to the price of the car and quite often the radio wasn't even installed at the factory, but rather by the dealership.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Euro model vs Us model differences for 1963 Reply with quote

slowfiveo wrote:
finster wrote:
slowfiveo wrote:

Can you still get birth certificates?

Radios were a option on all models-they weren't built with them. When I worked at VW all the cars came without a radio-we installed them.
There are three different steering wheels. The deluxe uses the dished steering wheel with the short steering column, the 1200 standard Custom uses the old style long steering column and uses the old (1956-59) deluxe steering wheel, and the standard model uses the old long steering column and the three spoke steering wheel that goes back to 1938-39.
All five models use the same glove box door. The Custom or the Standard, if not specified can come with deluxe chrome bumpers and also if specified to have towel rack over riders like all Canadian Custom models to meet a country's bumpers bumper height requirement. My 65 Custom has the deluxe bumpers for that exact reason. 65 is also the last year for the 36hp engine in the two models. My 65 also had a factory installed radio because the vehicle was picked up at the factory for delivery, also it's first (600Mi.) service and it's third service was done at the factory before being shipped to the port of L.A. for the owner to pick up. I knew the original owner, I bought it in 1968.
My 65 1200"A" Custom next to a friends 1966 type 115 Standard sunroof 40hp https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516077.jpg
my 65 36hp fresh air numbers matching engine;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516081.jpg
Interior with the old steering column and the deluxe 1956 to 1959 deluxe steering wheel. still no gas gauge, speedo is in kilometers, no chrome on the dash, driver only sun visor, gray only door panels-no map pouch-no passenger arm rest, no dash assist bar. And a 3/4 only headliner. Look at the door jam "a" pillar there is no door light switch because standard and Custom models only have a manual dome light. Note my glove box door and dash inserts are painted black and they should be painted the same as the rest of the car. I have since repainted in L360 sea blue. Also notice the wiper arms are painted black and should be painted L328-steel gray, they have now been repainted. Also note that bumper brackets, bumpers (on the standard model) , wiper arms are painted L328 steel gray where as on a deluxe model for example bumper brackets would be painted L-91 silver.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516079.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: