Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
primitive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
sitting having breakfast a situation came to mind that I thought might be something you and your son might want to be careful about, so I am adding the story for you even though I am out in this thread. My brother had a VW that needed work. He was living in Northern California at the time and needed it ready so he could drive to my home in So Cal at the time for a job. The car was towed to the shop where he lived, repaired and then he drove to SoCal. When he got to SoCal the car was barely running and the engine was toast. The shop in NorCal had charged him 4X as much as they told him the repair would be, and they guaranteed that their repairs would get him to SoCal and back. Before he left the car did not seem right so he took it back, they inspected it and said it was fine. When it got to SoCal I inspected it and it was running on 2 cylinders. Oil was pouring out of the engine. He called the shop that did the work and they said bring it back 600 miles and we will work on it. Since that was not possible, we had a friend at a local VW dealer dissemble the engine. It was full of used mismatched parts and had been assembled poorly. My brother had been billed for all new parts that he had not received. I documented the engine and my brother contacted the shop to see what they wanted to do. They laughed and hung up on him, so he sued since they had violated their quotes and promises. They had billed him for parts he did not receive. My brother lost. The reason is that in California the consumer protection laws do not apply on a vehicle that is towed in and not driven in under its own power. That is why the shop offered to have it towed in. They can even add the tow bill and storage to the bill, and seize the vehicle if it is not paid too. Then sell it at a lien auction. The only way he could have solved the situation was to tow it back to NorCal and let them work on it per the judge. Since he did not, he simply lost regardless their lies. You and your son may be getting yourselves into something similar in this situation if you do not find a reputable shop to work on the bus. In my brother's situation he lucked out because I am a (now-retired) master mechanic and automotive machinist so I built him a like new engine. However he was never able to recoup a dime of the bogus repairs the shop he took it to cheated him out of.

thanks for your info Are you in the bay area?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

primitive wrote:

thanks for your info Are you in the bay area?

100 miles east of there but I grew up in part in that area. Quite familiar with it. I've been in California since the early 1960's and seen about all there is to see. We stay out of SF and the East Bay these days. Too much crime and crazy people on the streets, drugs, homeless, feces on the sidewalks. You can't leave your car or have anything of value these days in many of those areas. It is like a huge ghetto. Everyone who can get out is getting out. You've got to get about 45 minutes to an hour out of there to find reasonable quality of life. Google "Homelessness in San Francisco" and look at some of the images. According to some government statistics, SF is more dangerous than 98% of American cities and people there have a 1 in 16 chance EACH YEAR of being a victim of crime. To out it into perspective, Compton, in SoCal which was always held out as a place not to go, is twice as safe as San Francisco. Costs are unbelievable. A 1600 sq ft home with a view of a slum is about $2.5 million - $3 million USD.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Call Skinner Classics in Vacaville. (707) 449-4200

See who they recommend since you are still heading south.

Also, tell your son to have a cold beer at Anderson Valley Brewing Company before heading out of the valley.
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

well, we are all waiting for an update.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
sitting having breakfast a situation came to mind that I thought might be something you and your son might want to be careful about, so I am adding the story for you even though I am out in this thread. My brother had a VW that needed work. He was living in Northern California at the time and needed it ready so he could drive to my home in So Cal at the time for a job. The car was towed to the shop where he lived, repaired and then he drove to SoCal. When he got to SoCal the car was barely running and the engine was toast. The shop in NorCal had charged him 4X as much as they told him the repair would be, and they guaranteed that their repairs would get him to SoCal and back. Before he left the car did not seem right so he took it back, they inspected it and said it was fine. When it got to SoCal I inspected it and it was running on 2 cylinders. Oil was pouring out of the engine. He called the shop that did the work and they said bring it back 600 miles and we will work on it. Since that was not possible, we had a friend at a local VW dealer dissemble the engine. It was full of used mismatched parts and had been assembled poorly. My brother had been billed for all new parts that he had not received. I documented the engine and my brother contacted the shop to see what they wanted to do. They laughed and hung up on him, so he sued since they had violated their quotes and promises. They had billed him for parts he did not receive. My brother lost. The reason is that in California the consumer protection laws do not apply on a vehicle that is towed in and not driven in under its own power. That is why the shop offered to have it towed in. They can even add the tow bill and storage to the bill, and seize the vehicle if it is not paid too. Then sell it at a lien auction. The only way he could have solved the situation was to tow it back to NorCal and let them work on it per the judge. Since he did not, he simply lost regardless their lies. You and your son may be getting yourselves into something similar in this situation if you do not find a reputable shop to work on the bus. In my brother's situation he lucked out because I am a (now-retired) master mechanic and automotive machinist so I built him a like new engine. However he was never able to recoup a dime of the bogus repairs the shop he took it to cheated him out of.

SGKent, was the shop in NorCal a VW specific shop or a general auto repair garage? I ask because if it was a VW specific shop, I hope someone would leave this story on the vendor feedback thread, so as to provide a proper recommendation for those crooks. I factor in such feedback heavily when I'm anticipating doing business with someone. Side note: I moved to CA in the late 90's and stayed off of 80 in a town called Meadow Vista. I agree with you on the Bay area. It was bad then and can only imagine how much worse it is now.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
SGKent, was the shop in NorCal a VW specific shop or a general auto repair garage? I ask because if it was a VW specific shop, I hope someone would leave this story on the vendor feedback thread, so as to provide a proper recommendation for those crooks. I factor in such feedback heavily when I'm anticipating doing business with someone. Side note: I moved to CA in the late 90's and stayed off of 80 in a town called Meadow Vista. I agree with you on the Bay area. It was bad then and can only imagine how much worse it is now.

The shop is out of business. The guy cheated so many people someone burned it to the ground. I don't know where the guy went. Everyone referred to him as "Red". He was a really sleazy guy. But the experience opened our eyes to don't have a car towed in. If you must, do it when no one is there, park and wait until the morning when folks come in, and tell them it just died. ESPECIALLY do not let the shop tow it in, "Would you like us to pick it up, I have towing service that does it for me for free" sort of deal. Makes it easy for them to cheat on the repair bill, then bill one high, then charge storage and towing, and lien the car, then sell it for a lot more than the repair bill and pocket the difference.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri May 13, 2022 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The shop is out of business. The guy cheated so many people someone burned it to the ground. I don't know where the guy went. Everyone referred to him as "Red".

Excellent. I hope he let his insurance lapse, or better yet, somehow got screwed by his insurance company.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

I love when the OP never completes the circle and wraps up what happened. Rolling Eyes
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
I love when the OP never completes the circle and wraps up what happened. Rolling Eyes
he doesn't need something from us anymore and won't be back until things don't work out as planned, parts aren't available, or he gets the bill.

I actually have a plan if my bus goes south on a long trip.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Neither he, nor his son, seemed to listen to the feedback anyway. Plus, he probably doesn't want to divulge the real cost of all his missteps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

It’s funny it’s a small world, they think their problem is like a Toyota timing belt or something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s a nice postcard Laughing

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

From the very first post on this thread:

"HI My son broke down in Eureka California with his 1975 VW Westy
Thanks

Thanks for all the help as a newbie to this forum we appreciate all the suggestions and comments we got.
He made it to San Fransisco without any further problems and is now looking into the best option on where get it fixed

Last edited by primitive on Thu May 12, 2022 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total."

I somehow doubt they listened to any of the suggestions made here.....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

probably true. But he has a long way to go yet to get home. Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

If one seeks validation from social media you are bound to suffer some angst as there is a wide range of expectations of etiquette. People aren’t obligated to participate or follow up unlike if you came to a club and asked for help. Some feel that way, others don’t.

I would be embarrassed to get help, split , and come back for more but that’s just one wanker.

Sending someone 3000 miles in a 50 year old car without basic knowledge is either insane or a teaching moment. You are certainly going to find you can’t Google your way out of trouble
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Quote:
Abscate

Sending someone 3000 miles in a 50 year old car without basic knowledge is either insane or a teaching moment. You are certainly going to find you can’t Google your way out of trouble

Wow have Regular Emma and I learned a lot since our first posts...............
{I sent Emma and three of her college friends from Illinois to California in a '75 Riviera that I had owned for 10 days, and knew nothing about. They knew even less. The engine got completely toasted in Eureka (Sound familiar?)}.

Insane? - certainly....
A teaching moment? - thousands of them........
But - hopefully a little proof that if you want to learn and succeed, you can.

I don't think we would trade either bus for anything.

If we knew then what we know now............
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476219&highlight=
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I actually have a plan if my bus goes south on a long trip.

Like buy a cerveza at the playa?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

{I sent Emma and three of her college friends from Illinois to California in a '75 Riviera that I had owned for 10 days, and knew nothing about. They knew even less. The engine got completely toasted in Eureka (Sound familiar?)}.

When I got my '77 I spent a week fixing it up, drove it to town and back and then my wife and daughter drove it 2800 miles from Oregon to New York in 2 1/2 days.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Quote:
Abscate

Insane? - certainly....
A teaching moment? - thousands of them........
But - hopefully a little proof that if you want to learn and succeed, you can.

I don't think we would trade either bus for anything.

If we knew then what we know now............
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476219&highlight=

y'all are special, and you made yourselves part of the community. You share and give back.

Even Abscate makes me laugh with his puns and wisdom. We don't agree politically often but that is what makes life great.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

Well since there has been no update lately. (and maybe never.) Let me kill this thread by telling you all about the time I used a rat tail file and a cresent wrench to affect a running repair to my fuel pump.

I had to work the weekend of my sister and her husbands Labor day bash. The plan was for me to meet my wife there after I got off work. She would drive out with one of her daughters. I would drive the camper bus to work and drive out to my sisters after. that way we could party till we colapse and have a ready place to sleep off the good times.

The drive out to my sisters place was about 40 miles from work. one segment of the highway went through a series of rolling hills. after going over the fist hill while climbing the second my motor started falling on it's face bad! fine on the down hill, total crap on the up hill. I pull over for a look.

First look in the engine compartment reveals nothing obvious. I keep driving. still the same problem going up hill. I pull over again for another look. This time I see it. (71 bus T-1 motor.) The piviot pin has worked itself out of the fuel pump. The pump was providing enough pressure to supply the carb while cruising flat and level or down hill. But once a severe load or heavy demend was put on the fuel system the wounded fuel pump could not keep up with the motors demands.

I had no regualr tool hit with me except the small VW tool pouch in the glove box It had nothing more than the stock fan belt tool some fuses a cresent wrench and a small rat tail file. everything except the cresent wrench came with the bus when I bought it.

I found the pin the pump spit out on top of the engine case. (lucky me!) The plan was to drive the pin back into place and drive on. I could not accomplish this with the tools at hand. only for lack of pliers. So I took the rat tail file stuck the pointed end into the piviot pin hole of the pump and drove it home with a couple of blows with the flat side of the cresent wrench.

It worked! the fuel pump was back to providing full pressure and no more craping out. I got to my sisters place and enjoyed a great party. The next day I swapped out the bad pump with another one my brother in law had to get us home.

Sometimes what you think will be a short trip ends up being longer than you thought. Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Update re Urgent help needed in Eureka, CA Reply with quote

neat story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: