Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much do you think my van is worth?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Hey guys I've been wanting to sell my van for something a little better to daily drive. I started looking at other vans to try to figure out a good price but there all over the place. I was wondering if you guys could help me formulate a price for it.

Its a 1987 vanagon, with the stock 2.1 liter engine, its running and driving great and has about 80,000 miles on a completely rebuilt engine. I have about 7500 dollars in receipts sitting in it for everything that has been done to it in the past 20 years. Since I got it I have done a lot of work on it. I've replaced; Spark plugs, air filter, aluminum fuel rails, all new fuel line, new fuel filter, speedometer cable, turn signals, all belts, cv axle boots, transmission pan gasket, differential pan gasket, aluminum valve covers, and just did the front door window weather stripping.

It is pretty much ready to go the only problem with it is that it leaks a bit of everything but as long as check up on it its not a problem. I have most of the gaskets to fix these leak but I haven't got around to putting them in.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but I'm just trying to formulate a good price for my van. If you guys could help me out id love it. Ill include a Photo album because I'm not sure how to post photos on the samba.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PbwmfHe8e4QKXZBK7
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

sorry, couldn't resist..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

I looked at all the pics.

$3,000-5,000 assuming the mechanicals all work well and there is no seam rust.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Nice looking van. If the AC works well and that is original paint then it will certainly attract intere$t.

Rust and coolant leaks are what I would find worrisome, hopefully neither here.

I'm not qualified to name a price but GLWTS.
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Sadly AC doesn't seem to work but it doesn't leak coolant and it is the original paint. It also has virtually no rust
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

I've been shopping for a tintop locally for months now.

I can't look at your pics at work, but...

I haven't seen one that was running and not in pieces for less then 5k. The market has shifted, at least for now.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Of course the real answer is that it is worth exactly what a bonafide buyer will pay. I would expect a sale in the range of $5,000-7,500.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Ya most vans 5k and under that I've seen need an engine rebuild or something major.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Don't confuse asking prices with selling prices.
People can ask whatever they like.

In Calif the seller is legally required to provide a current smog certificate when selling to a consumer.
Do you have one?
They are only good for 90 days from test date.

Mark
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

ya ill have a smog certificate at the time of sale.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

These are always funny threads.

The site rules clearly state "no ads in the forums", we are to lock and delete them.

And this isn't an ad, it is an opinion inquiry on pricing.

But....

The Van is obviously for sale (or soon will be) and offers to purchase it are being made in the thread (removed now) which turns this into an ad.

Please place an ad in the classified section.

Thanks!
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Location has a lot to do with pricing. Where in CA are you? I think given the CA location I would list at $8k and negotiate from there. Used car prices right now are all 50% higher than they should be.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

$8,000 for an 87 tintop is stupid expensive. A Proper A/C rebuild at a shop will be an easy $2,000, probably $3,000.

Maybe that $ amount for a great shape 90 or 91......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
$8,000 for an 87 tintop is stupid expensive. A Proper A/C rebuild at a shop will be an easy $2,000, probably $3,000.

Dave

Here in Portland 8K for one that runs is normal... More if its actually in good shape. There's non-runners selling for 3-5k right now here. Its crazy.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

You guys on the east coast always love to argue about pricing, but I know what sells out here. On the west coast these things sell for stupid amounts that you just won't believe. Look at Cl in any major west coast city and you will see what is being asked (not sold). Project vans are going for $4-5k asking. The OP can start high and see what bites.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=vanagon

https://portland.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=vanagon

Last edited by PDXWesty on Wed May 11, 2022 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

If people are offering you $6k within minutes in a forum, you know it will sell for more in the real world. Price similar ones here, then consider the "Samba factor"
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

Ya I think when is go to sell it ill ask a bit more because people will for sure try to negotiate. I'm in Redding, California so it really doesn't have any rust because its pretty hot and dry. And I'm going to try to get a Compression test, Vacuum test, Leakdown test and a fuel pressure test done before I go to sell it. They seem to be absurdly expensive right now but if the market ever crashes I will definitely try to buy another one Because it is something that I have enjoyed working on.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
$8,000 for an 87 tintop is stupid expensive.

soooo, what is a proper price, hmmmmmm? Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

my offer still stands Laughing
though I'd maybe double it if you removed that awful green grass carpeting. Wink

danfromsyr wrote:
sorry, couldn't resist..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much do you think my van is worth? Reply with quote

haha ya ill have to remove some of the carpeting
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: