Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Hi Kiwi,
Yes the rear view mirror is clearly wrong for 68. I just found that the 67 Brochure is very similar to the 68. A smaller version of the same blue car on the cover was also used on the 67 brochure, except the artist made a point to show several modifications such as the redesigned 68 seats. I believe one particular item on the 68 never made it into production on the Ghia.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

And the position of the gas flap seems wrong!

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

- The US-spec round red reflector is missing from the rear quarter panel, which was a requirement for any '68 model year built after Jan. 1, 1968.
- Door handle still has the push-button below the grab handle, per a '66 or '67. '68 changed to the style where the release became a "trigger" on the inside of the handle. This was part of the federally-mandated change for car manufacturers for the '68 model year to try to reduce the tendency of car doors to open because of the exposed button if the car hit an obstacle broadside. The trigger on the inside of the handle provided a more shielded release.
- The gap between the rear tire's sidewall and the fender opening is too large for the wide-axled '68; looks like the narrower '66 axle. I'd say that the factory artist used a '66 as basis for this image.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

There are two issues with the fuel door. As Viktor Cz. noticed, it's should be on top of the fender.
The other issue with the gas door is the shape of it. They gave it the shape of the Beetle Gas Door.

There is a passenger side Grab Handle on the dash. 68 is the first year of no Grab handle.

The brochure discusses the new AutoStick transmission which is interesting as the 68 Owners Manual has no information at all
about the new transmission, although they did print an insert after the fact.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I spotted the fuel door and the missing reflector. I was going to comment that the wipers were backwards until I looked outside at my 68. I guess they were meant for right hand drive. Never noticed that before.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Your comment about wipers was interesting. I would much rather they went the other way as it would be less obstructive for the driver. In 19 years of production, the Ghia always had going the same way. I searched other cars to see if one direction was more common then the other but it seems pretty much 50/50, even with American cars. Interesting though that the Beetle has had them in both directions over the years.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I had been planning to take a ride with the car to get pictures of the foliage at the Brookfield Floating Bridge.
The bridge was first built in 1820 and has always been a true floating bridge. In 2015, it got it's 8th rebuilt.
The foliage at home was beautiful but it was pretty dismal at the bridge. Made for nice pictures anyway.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Lovely pics Cool
I have to get out before the weekend. Our foliage is just about all in the ground.
Rakes, blowers & mulchers are on standby!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Nice pictures, happy to see you enjoying it !

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Lovely pics Cool
I have to get out before the weekend. Our foliage is just about all in the ground.
Rakes, blowers & mulchers are on standby!

The season is much to short!

TRS63 wrote:
Nice pictures, happy to see you enjoying it !

Antoine

Thanks Antoine. I really do enjoy driving this beauty. Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Regatta has lost her place in the garage to O'Ghia. After sitting in storage for 25 years, she will get some much needed attention. She's now parked at the back of the garage until next spring. Next weekend the engine is coming out so that I can do some degreasing and cleaning and hopefully solve some annoying oil drips. I think the seal between the transmission and the engine is likely an issue, and maybe the oil cooler seals and likely others. So today was her last ride until next spring. Ironically, it's mileage has climbed to 23,003. I was able to get O'Ghia started and went for a short 5 mile ride. She had not been out since one year ago tomorrow. After driving the AutoStick all summer, it took me a few minutes to get used to the different shifting pattern and convince my left foot that it now has a job. Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I spent some time this week preparing to drop the engine. Being an AutoStick I was a bit unsure about the procedure. This was totally new to me. Fortunately, I had an expert VW mechanic friend, Jim, coming for the actual drop just in case things didn't go smoothly. I planned to do everything myself except when an extra pair of hands was useful.

I had everything ready yesterday except for the 4 bolts that hold the torque converter to the engine. First problem is that the early AutoSticks use odd looking 8mm 12 point bolts for the torque converter. They looked like they would need a special socket.

I Called Jim and he said a 12 point 5/16 socket should fit fine. I decided to buy an 8mm 12point anyway. I compared them with a dial caliper and the 8mm was .02mm larger. I used the 5/16th since it had a less slop.

Second problem: I could not get the socket at a good angle. The small opening in the bell housing is very difficult to get one hand in place let alone a second hand and a socket wrench. I was having no luck and rather than risk damaging the bolts, I decided to wait till Jim arrived on Saturday. Just before Jim arrived today, I decided to give it another try and I discovered that there was another opening on the Bell Housing on the right side and that one is totally unobstructed. Idea By the time Jim arrived the problem was resolved. I'm not sure if these bolts are supposed to use a special socket but I got them out without damaging them so the 5/16 socket worked fine. Jim said he had only seen regular bolts when he worked as a VW mechanic. They must have been replaced with regular 6 sided bolts.

Important note to anyone dropping an AutoStick engine for the first time: make sure to use the opening in the Bell Housing that is on the right side.

The rest of the job went pretty well. I removed all 4 bolts/nuts and we pulled the engine back a bit. Jim had warned about the Torque Converter needed to stay on with the Transaxle but it might want to stay with the engine. That is what was happening. Jim used a large screwdriver to pry the torque converter back while I turned the engine.

We got the engine on the floor, raised the car up till it cleared the fan shroud and slid the engine out.

The inside of the bell housing is coated with ATF. Looks like the Torque Converter seal has been leaking for a long time.

We put the engine on a wheeled dolly for now. I might put it on a stand if needed but I can do everything I need to do with it on the dolly.

Over all, it went better than I expected. There's a lot of cleaning up to do and the tins need to be painted. Lots of detailing ahead.
The engine main seal looks to be leaking as well so that will have to get replace. The engine deck seal is so hard that it literally is crumbling as we work.

If anyone cares to offer suggestions of what else should be done or checked while the engine is out, I would appreciate it. The car is off the road until spring so I'm not rushing to put it back in.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I would inspect and replace if necessary all Rubber brake lines, all transmission mounts, coupler, CV boots, shocks, adjust out any sag and inspect bushings, change fluid in trans.
I would also inspect the beam steering components and front rubber lines, maybe repack front bearings. Basically do all the regular maintenance and inspect all components giving you a baseline for future maintenance. Being it’s such a low mile and original car sourcing NOS stuff for replacement or at least German would be cool and deserving for this car.
All in all should be a fun winter project to while the long nights away.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I would inspect and replace if necessary all Rubber brake lines, all transmission mounts, coupler, CV boots, shocks, adjust out any sag and inspect bushings, change fluid in trans.
I would also inspect the beam steering components and front rubber lines, maybe repack front bearings. Basically do all the regular maintenance and inspect all components giving you a baseline for future maintenance. Being it’s such a low mile and original car sourcing NOS stuff for replacement or at least German would be cool and deserving for this car.
All in all should be a fun winter project to while the long nights away.

Thanks Braukuche. Yes, it's a long list. I've been slowly getting many of these things done one at a time. I was fortunate that the brakes had been completely done shortly before the PO sold it. Right now my priorities are those things related to the engine being out.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that this morning was very enjoyable and satisfying. It's been too many years since I last pulled an engine out of a car. It seemed like a big task, but it went smooth as butter.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Good work with getting the engine out, Marc!

Over 30 yrs ago I bought a '69 AutoStick Ghia Coupe in eastern NY which originally came out of Florida. There was some rust to the body but nothing major. Right side had taken a sideswipe in the past and was patched; the door's rear gap was about twice normal. I wanted to put the body onto a '72 manual trans pan, but lost interest after my first unsuccessful attempt at MIG welding and sold the body. I "think" that '69's original pan did not have the empty metal tube inside "yet" for the clutch cable which was implemented later for parts simplification. Anyway, I did get the engine out; I do remember it was more involved than on a man trans VW.
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marc, there is certainly No grass growing under your feet ! 👍
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Good work with getting the engine out, Marc!

Over 30 yrs ago I bought a '69 AutoStick Ghia Coupe in eastern NY which originally came out of Florida. There was some rust to the body but nothing major. Right side had taken a sideswipe in the past and was patched; the door's rear gap was about twice normal. I wanted to put the body onto a '72 manual trans pan, but lost interest after my first unsuccessful attempt at MIG welding and sold the body. I "think" that '69's original pan did not have the empty metal tube inside "yet" for the clutch cable which was implemented later for parts simplification. Anyway, I did get the engine out; I do remember it was more involved than on a man trans VW.

Thank you Rome.
It's a bit more involved for sure, but it's not as bad as I expected. There's more disassembling and having to deal with ATF draining and then dealing with the torque converter, both the bolts and separating it from the engine. Like most things, familiarity is everything. If I have to do it again, it would go much much faster.

My 71 is a converted autostick. It must have had the tube already in the tunnel.

mouse action wrote:
Marc, there is certainly No grass growing under your feet ! 👍

Seems that the older I get, the busier I get. Shocked

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Playing with a Ghia over the winter beats shoveling snow!

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

Everything beats shovel in snow! Rolling Eyes
I don't have a heated garage though Sad

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

Everything beats shovel in snow! Rolling Eyes
I don't have a heated garage though Sad

Nor do I 🥶

I’ll add to the list.
I discovered a plugged heat riser when refreshing Joans engine.
I doubt you have an issue with such low miles but it’s worth checking and go ahead an clear the carbon.
It’s mush easier to inspect with the engine out.

Mike Gerson

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: