Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions? Updated w/pics
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions? Updated w/pics Reply with quote

Hey guys! We just booked a ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola in July and are in the planning stages of this multiweek trip. We are going to be on Vancouver Island for about a week exploring our way from Victoria up to Port Hardy were we catch the ferry. Last time we were on the island, we explored west towards Tofino but this time will spend more time in the northern section.
We are super excited about the 10 hour ferry ride and the chance to explore around Bella Coola and the road leading out of the area seems remarkable.
Looking at the map, anyone have any must see's or areas for us to explore? We plan on spending the majority of the time in northern Vancouver Island and around Bella Coola.
If you are on/near the route, hit me up and maybe we can meet up for a beer.
nate

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Hey hey! The GF and I are based on Vancouver Island and will be around there for some of mid-July. If you need parking for a stopover in Victoria let me know and I can arrange you a driveway!

I'd make sure to hit Cathedral Grove (MacMillan Provincial Park) on your way down the coast - amazing!

Lots of pullouts/rest areas all the way up the coast there too so plenty of opportunity to go slow and sight-see.

Also 'Deuce Days' - a huge classic car show with upwards of 1200 cars is on from July 14-17 in Victoria, it's only held every 3 years so well worth a look - lots of people from all over N. America come to it.

Tons to see here on Vancouver Island and I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Heaps of good Vanagon/VW people here, so if you ever need assistance reach out! Be prepared to wear your arm out waving to fellow Vanagons/Westies on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Looks like an awesome route! SO many choices along the way. Once you're up around Campbell River on Vancouver Island, its worth checking out Strathcona Provincial Park - BC's first Provincial Park! Some nice camping up at Ralph River among the old growth cedars. Barkerville is absolutely worth checking out, if a bit touristy, and Bowern Lakes is a nice campground.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

This is on my “sooner rather than later” list… <taking notes>

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Raft Cove on northern Vancouver Island is a nice muddy hike to the beach. You might be too early for the grizzly bears on the upper end of the Bella Coola river but keep an eye out. Just before you leave the Bella Coola valley to climb "The Hill" there is a road that goes up the Atnarko River. Very cool drive and camping at the end of the road. We've done it in our 2wd Westy in a year when it had recent maintenance. Lots of bears fishing the river at certain times.

And finally there is a good day trip trail The Rainbow Range once you get up the hill. Be sure you haver the Canadian Backroad Mapbooks for the areas you are visiting.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
proofpudding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

What are your goals while you are on the island / what style of camping are you planning to do?

There are endless forestry roads to explore — rivers and lakes to paddle or fish etc. but if you are more brewery, cathedral grove, and pavement type people there is plenty of that too. With only a week you will unfortunately have to move pretty quick.

Definitely recommend the “old highway” up from parksville / nanoose to comox for the water views and cruising speeds. A trip over to denman island or tribune bay is well worth the ferry cost — same with the other gulf islands.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you need recommendations for routes, campsites or a driveway to camp in.

Cheers,
Dave
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

About half a mile west of Bella Coola along the water is Clayton road. Goes straight up into the mountains.

A little rough but very rewarding. There is a tiny campground on a tiny lake at the end of the road.

The road turns into a trail past the campground going back down to the water where there is a golden spruce.
We saw one on Haida Gwaii..magical..

There is a great little music festival in july..

Definitely do some reading on "The Hill". Good story..

Anahim Lake and Charlotte Lake are very nice places to camp.

You'll have a great time..oh..if it's a wet spring bring lots of bug juice !
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Raft Cove on northern Vancouver Island is a nice muddy hike to the beach. You might be too early for the grizzly bears on the upper end of the Bella Coola river but keep an eye out. Just before you leave the Bella Coola valley to climb "The Hill" there is a road that goes up the Atnarko River. Very cool drive and camping at the end of the road. We've done it in our 2wd Westy in a year when it had recent maintenance. Lots of bears fishing the river at certain times.

And finally there is a good day trip trail The Rainbow Range once you get up the hill. Be sure you haver the Canadian Backroad Mapbooks for the areas you are visiting.

This is great info! We are definitely looking for remote, free campsites and not afraid to put our Westy through it's paces.

proofpudding wrote:
What are your goals while you are on the island / what style of camping are you planning to do?

There are endless forestry roads to explore — rivers and lakes to paddle or fish etc. but if you are more brewery, cathedral grove, and pavement type people there is plenty of that too. With only a week you will unfortunately have to move pretty quick.

Definitely recommend the “old highway” up from parksville / nanoose to comox for the water views and cruising speeds. A trip over to denman island or tribune bay is well worth the ferry cost — same with the other gulf islands.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you need recommendations for routes, campsites or a driveway to camp in.

Cheers,
Dave

You haven't seen our videos have you? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
We aren't really campground people and would rather drive gravel than pavement. We hope to skip up past Victoria rather quick as we were in the area in 2019 and want to explore the northern interior section of the island a bit more.
I will send you a PM and we can chat about routes and stuff, thanks!

syncroserge wrote:
About half a mile west of Bella Coola along the water is Clayton road. Goes straight up into the mountains.

A little rough but very rewarding. There is a tiny campground on a tiny lake at the end of the road.

The road turns into a trail past the campground going back down to the water where there is a golden spruce.

There is a great little music festival in july..

Definitely do some reading on "The Hill". Good story..

Anahim Lake and Charlotte Lake are very nice places to camp.

You'll have a great time..oh..if it's a wet spring bring lots of bug juice !

Awesome! Added that to our list! We are looking to go visit Odegaard Falls down Bush road and maybe camp out there as well.
Looks like its a wet spring already so I think we are going to get some bug nets for our heads and bring plenty of spray!
I keep hearing about the "hill". Now I need to do some research on this....

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:

Not so magical now: https://www.haidatourism.ca/news/golden-spruce-story . You obviously copped that thrill decades ago.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

I know..crazy story!..our friends there told us about it when it happened in '97..
such a loss..

Might be why it's harder than it use to be to find info on these trees..
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

For BC I have always used and love this book..

https://www.amazon.ca/B-C-Road-Recreational-Atlas-6th/dp/0968077269
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

This is one way to explore Nootka Sound https://www.getwest.ca/ if that is of interest to you. You'd burn off a couple days doing this because it's a bit of an out and back trip.
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Following.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting Backroad Mapbooks for the areas you will be visiting. I do not live on the island but have used these maps extensively in other areas of BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.

https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/brmb-products/bac...-maps.html

https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/brmb-products/bac...-maps.html
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

One more idea, we enjoyed exploring Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island. You can drive out onto the spit which gets down to about a 1 lane road then opens up into a picnic area. It's about a 15 minute ferry ride from Campbell River. It's also on the main route North so it doesn't cost a lot of time to divert over one island to the east. We camped at the Heriot Inn RV park because we were early in the season and other campgrounds were closed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

I see the Baldwins are passing through Lytton, BC. That town was destroyed in last summer's wildfires. That is not my point, although the devastation there (and nearby) is notable. Near Lytton are two different river rafting companies, Kumsheen River Rafting and Hyak River Rafting. Both have camping on their sites.

They both do trips on the Thompson river, which is a beautiful, clean river and at mid-day, almost always features a warm to hot wind blowing north, while the river flows south. I prefer Hyak as they get the participants more involved. They are well worth the prices and have different packages.

Right across from part of the rafting route is an inexpensive provincial park called Skihist Provincial Park that is currently closed due to last summer's wildfires, but who knows if it will re-open this summer? If not, there is plenty of camping available at Forest Service Rec Sites.

An amazing feature throughout BC, in addition to the always-busy Provincial Parks (clean, well-run, moderately-priced) are numerous Forest Service Recreation Sites. Several decades ago, the BC Forest Service opened public access to logging roads and began developing rustic campsites with picnic tables and outhouses, with typically no water supplies. Initially, these sites were always free. About 15 years ago, the more popular FSR sites started charging a fee. There are still hundreds of sites that remain free.

Here is a link to the BCFS Rec Site website interactive maps:

https://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp...f6c91d09c6
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Awesome info guys! I am usually not a book guy when it comes to trip planning as they seem to go out of date pretty quick but I may look into a few of those.

A rafting trip might be pretty fun as it has been years since we have done that last.

Once we get back from Descend on Lost Sierra, we are really gonna get the details planned but of course, just wing it once we get there! Very Happy

nate
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

Largely that route and the Bella Coola ferry ride has been on my list for years. I fluctuate back and forth between doing it on a moto or in the van. It sure would be nice to sleep in the van on the ferry but as I understand the auto deck is off-limits while underway (a notable safety concern should the ferry need to be evacuated).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Largely that route and the Bella Coola ferry ride has been on my list for years. I fluctuate back and forth between doing it on a moto or in the van. It sure would be nice to sleep in the van on the ferry but as I understand the auto deck is off-limits while underway (a notable safety concern should the ferry need to be evacuated).

Yeah it says every three hours they let you down there for a bit.

A dual sport moto trip on that route would be epic. Kinda wish I wouldn't have sold my KTM Very Happy

nate
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island/Norther Canada trip questions for locals or ?? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
It sure would be nice to sleep in the van on the ferry but as I understand the auto deck is off-limits while underway (a notable safety concern should the ferry need to be evacuated).

Pretty sure that's because of the Queen of the North disaster...2 operators bumping ugly's caused the sinking and 2 passengers on the auto deck died and were never recovered.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: