Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just bought my next project - RHD Glacier blue 58 from Sweden (Build date Nov 57). Its pretty solid but needs some previous repairs redoing and missing a few parts.

Im trying to make the car as correct as possible and have a few questions about the missing parts:

1) Running boards - I know a 58 still used the earlier Oval style running board covers with the ribs that stop an inch or so from the ends... But are the running boards specific year range?

2) Ignition & Key - Im looking for a Nos or good used ignition switch and key. I have found a couple but they have different keys. Which style of key would a early 58 use?

3) Semaphore switch - Are they the same as oval switches or are big window cars different?

4) Can you see anything wrong / 58 specific missing from my car, other than the ash tray?

Thanks, Neil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
Hi,

1) Running boards - I know a 58 still used the earlier Oval style running board covers with the ribs that stop an inch or so from the ends... But are the running boards specific year range?

2) Ignition & Key - Im looking for a Nos or good used ignition switch and key. I have found a couple but they have different keys. Which style of key would a early 58 use?

Thanks, Neil

1) You are correct on the mats, ribs stopping short. The boards themselves are all the same up to 79. WW sells the correct mats as well as BBT. I have them on my 58, and they are very nice.

2) This would be the correct style SG key for your 58.

Great car btw, Glacier Blue is a great color!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

Did all of 58 have the 'cigar' ash tray? a buddy has a pretty early GB 58 and I dont remember it having the cigar tray either.

Anyone know the official cut off for sedans? I know verts used them later as my old 11/58 bamboo had one back in the late 80s
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

The headlights look to be '63 and up. The adjuster screws should be at 5 and 7 o'clock. Love that interior!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Did all of 58 have the 'cigar' ash tray? a buddy has a pretty early GB 58 and I dont remember it having the cigar tray either.

Anyone know the official cut off for sedans? I know verts used them later as my old 11/58 bamboo had one back in the late 80s

I think the jury is still out on when they started, and stopped using the "cigar" style. I also noticed that this 58 did not have one, and was kinda surprised.
My July 7 built 58 came with a cigar tray, and I have also seen early 59s with them as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

mabbo, I can't help with your "year correctness" questions, but maybe you'll enjoy seeing a period "photo" of a '58 in your color- this is a screen shot from a YouTube video "San Francisco in 1958". An elegant color.
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

stale air wrote:

1) You are correct on the mats, ribs stopping short. The boards themselves are all the same up to 79. WW sells the correct mats as well as BBT. I have them on my 58, and they are very nice.

2) This would be the correct style SG key for your 58.

Great car btw, Glacier Blue is a great color!

Nice one mate, cheers for that. I have a set of mats from http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/ for my oval which were nice. Ill check out the ones from WW and BBT.

Good to know on the key, cheers Very Happy

AlteWagen wrote:

Thanks man. How did the cigar ash tray fit? Mine is OG paint and dont look like its had anything removed... unless the other section just sits in the top or something?

Zwitterkafer wrote:
The headlights look to be '63 and up. The adjuster screws should be at 5 and 7 o'clock. Love that interior!

Pisser. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I need to find a 55 to 63 set with the 5 and 7 oclock adjusters. Would there be any difference in the rims and lenses over the years for euro models?

Rome wrote:
mabbo, I can't help with your "year correctness" questions, but maybe you'll enjoy seeing a period "photo" of a '58 in your color- this is a screen shot from a YouTube video "San Francisco in 1958". An elegant color.

Thanks Smile Ill check out that video in a min. One of the reasons I went for the car was the original colour.

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Swedish 58 Gacier blue - 1958 specific questions Reply with quote

There is a headlight thread somewhere here on The Samba, but I could not find it, so I'll go from memory. Euro headlights should have symmetrical lenses up to Aug 1960. Usually "VW" at top, "Hella" at the bottom, and various other smaller markings could be at the edge. Sometime in the mid 50's, "A" and "NL" logos were added in the glass to show compliance for those markets. The chrome rim is pretty much the same late 50's to Aug '62, with 2 rivets holding on the tab, and the adjuster screws at 5 and 7 o'clock.

What's on the '58 now is interesting though. No VW sign, and asymmetrical. Maybe later aftermarket, or even Porsche?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: