Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Trying to get my 72 Super from Canada registered in CA. Got my shit inspected and sent off to Sacramento and they said I need letter confirming the smog information identifying my vehicle by its VIN

Apparently VW doesn't give these out anymore, I contacted the emissions board for an exemption and they are asking for a picture of my smog sticker. I have a picture of my safety sticker, but no such smog sticker exists on the car.

Were there even smog stickers in 1972? I thought that started later? Anyone had any luck getting around this with a pre-1974 vehicle before? Already reached out to Waxhead to see if he has anything.

Car is in pieces too which makes things a bit more complicated...

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

CA doesn't smog anything older than 1975. So I'm not sure why you need to provide smog info. Maybe because you're importing it? Idk. Maybe you're just getting bad info? When I brought my car back to CA, they asked for my smog inspection. I just told them is a 1966. No smog required. They said "oh yeah" and just processed the registration.

Each year I just get the renewal in the mail. No smog required.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Apparently im exempt from smog testing, but need extra paperwork for initial registration to show that the vehicle is compliant (possibly cause of import?)

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Welcome to California !!!

I'll stay away from there !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RA 70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-an-imported-vehicle/

Read that. Looks a bunch of stuff might be required
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found this in the photo gallery, a bit too new. Personally I’d lie to California about the color of the sky just to see them cry.
Emissions stickers don’t have vin numbers on them back then as this clearly shows.
Look around you may find one on the webbs that matches your year.

You can make an affidavit stating the facts they ask for, have it notarized correctly and they’re loving it. Look into samples on the Internet for the wording.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Jordan, go down to the DMV and talk to them, there. If the car is smog exempt, it’s ridiculous to ask for anything smog related.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Jordan, go down to the DMV and talk to them, there. If the car is smog exempt, it’s ridiculous to ask for anything smog related.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

I know the label they are talking about. In those years, CA had a mostly clear sticker in the left rear quarter window. It was a California only sticker. I know my friend's 71 had this sticker in it, but don't recall if he left it in when he restored the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Ugh, I quake at the thought of finally registering my '74 Super when the time comes.

Try finding the info about exemption status on the DMV website, printing that out and taking it with you. They can't argue with their own literature (they still might...it IS California)

H20SB
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

I'm So glad I'm out of California!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Do you have AAA? They can handle it and may be more helpful and sympathetic than the DMV. Shorter lines, too.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Found this in the Gallery!

Tell them you took a picture of it years ago. Since then the glass has been replaced.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Found this in the Gallery!

Tell them you took a picture of it years ago. Since then the glass has been replaced.

California will spend the money checking his prints before applying the correct law to his year model, because they hate new smoggy cars coming into the state! Do they still charge extra for that?? Wasn’t it like $900 or so?😂

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

CSAA would be my recommendation as well.

Do you have to go to a referee or is that only for sniffer tests?

Most of the clerks are zombies working for the state so the information you received I would question.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

The dangerous thing about this is that in this very thread people say that cars that old don't have smog. The car is imported, that brings us here.

1968 to 1974: California does not recommend the purchase or importation of these years of NON-USA vehicles, even if currently registered in another state. These vehicles require compliance with USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972. This provision when written, was considered by the California legislature as a gradual phase-out of very dirty "non-collectable" types of imports, as this specific requirement was understood to become increasingly difficult to meet. Today, this requirement, while not impossible to meet, would require testing expenses and modifications that far exceed most vehicles value and would make little sense from a collectors standpoint to attempt. Some limited exemptions apply to individuals moving to California with vehicles of these years registered in their home state for at least a year before moving to California. Contact us for more information.

I recommend for people with cars like this to just register in Vermont first and never tell them it came from another country. But, it's too late for that now.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Jordan, if this becomes too difficult, you might do as they do for Mexican Beetles: buy a decent, rust free chassis of the same year; one that has a pink slip, and put the rest of your car on it, and register it to the new chassis.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

Not to sure if you would qualify for this, but this is available to everyone! You just have to qualify.

https://m.smogtips.com/consumer_assistance.cfm

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
Today, this requirement, ...., would require testing expenses and modifications that far exceed most vehicles value and would make little sense from a collectors standpoint to attempt. .

This may not apply to a Canadian spec car since in 1972, Canada spec cars were identical to USA cars as far as EPA and DOT are concerned.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another CA registration emissions issue thread Reply with quote

OP, did you ever get this resolved?
I'm in a similar boat. 1968 'Manx" and I need the Emissions Label. DMV said 'none' and won't issue registration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: