Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

I just received 2 brand new GKN Lobro Axle assemblies and the axle shafts are different. See below. Besides the physical appearance is there any difference in these axles?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one on the left is a little thicker in the middle which I like and the boot grooves are different.

Would love to know the difference and if it is worth sending one back or if it doesn't really matter?

Thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN LoBro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

The one on the left looks a lot like one of the aftermarket axle shafts I've seen and used, from China.
These are known to sometimes fail under duress that stock axle shafts survive.

The axle shaft on the right looks more like a factory Vanagon axle.

Mark
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN LoBro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

They both came in identical boxes with GKN logos. I’ll reach out to the supplier. Interesting because the one on the left feels much nicer. The one on the right is similar to the Chinese ones I pulled off my van.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

The one on the right looks German to me. The one on the left, unknow origin. It could be from another VAG car....

The shaft on the right is not supposed to have the convex washer, and even though, it's mounted backwards Rolling Eyes

I dunno why you (and other people) buy rebuilt axles, it's mostly junk, even from Löbro; another proof today.

Just install new cv's on good old German axles, it's not a messy job if you don't have to clean the old cv's.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN LoBro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

What markings are on all the actual joints from these axles?

I hope you kept all parts separate so each joint has its complete original mates.

Mark

craegandbritt wrote:
They both came in identical boxes with GKN logos. I’ll reach out to the supplier. Interesting because the one on the left feels much nicer. The one on the right is similar to the Chinese ones I pulled off my van.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

The one on the left looks like the GKN axles I've received. The one on the right looks like a refurbished axle, it looks like it was rusty and then it got painted. It looks like it has a lot of pitting on the surface.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

I don't know if someone else mentioned it, but those look like used axles. The one on the left is the earlier Bay Window bus style. Are both the same length?
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

Alika, I was under the impression that these were new axles when I bought them. The one on the left looks brand new. I didn’t know they were selling rebuilt ones. I took off the stock joints these came with to put on 944’s.

The mechanic that originally did this job, installed Chinese axles and threw away my old axles. He told me he installed OE axles, I confronted him and he refunded me but I didn’t have any axle shafts that would fit the 944 joint.

I bought these assembled axles from Parts Geek just for the axle shafts since the Chinese axles I had won’t fit the 944’s. The 944’s do fit on both shafts so I think I can use them but I was wondering if they were real since there were no etched part numbers on the GKN joints like normal.

No markings on the joints from the axle on the right of the picture.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

Oh I remember the story.

The right one is German, I'm 99% positive. You can even see the old rust pitting in them, suggesting it's old.

The other one (left) could be VAG, like an Audi, or even a Porsche. If the length matches, use it, the CV joint is the important part.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: GKN Lobro Axle Differences? Two Types? Reply with quote

I have two shafts that look exactly like these. The left one looks like the one from an EMPI half axle. The other looks like the OEM one that I have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: