Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front brake t piece odd mounting hardware?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpolzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

hey guys, 79 westy bus.
I am replacing the hard brake lines and the corroded front t piece under the floor.

The mount i have has a plastic expansion plug similar to a dry wall anchor that runs into a recessed area stamped into the floor.
The plastic plug was destroyed taking off the lines.

The new t piece i got from WW included mounting hardware but its just a machine screw and washer.

Any ideas on how to mount this thing or what that plastic expansion type plug is ? or any other suggestions for mounting would be awesome. Would love to be able to do it without punching a hole into the floor in the back and tearing up the carpet if i dont have to. Thanks.!!!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

Flaps probably has many screw anchors that fit the existing hole in the floor.
Or a small "wellnut" AKA rubber expansion nut.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

Oh geez,
Just because VW used a cheap plastic part during production of a million cars doesn’t mean you need to. Make it work. Move on.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plastic fitting is unique. Not sure if there's even a part number for it. I always try to put things back together the same way it was built originally but it's not always possible.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

Thats interesting. That same Tee fitting on type 4 cars is mounted to the forward footwell firewall behind the gas tank. It uses a 6mm hex head bolt...and...it uses a pressed or welded in thread insert.

There are several places in my car where relays are bolted to the firewall with a self tapping sheet metal screw. These relays need to have a solid ground to the screw and they get loose causing issues. So....I installed these:

These inserts have a ring of teeth that bite into the edge of the sheet metal hole. They work VERY well....and NO...you do not need the $500 install tool. The right size hole, a stack of washers and a bolt...and they pop right in. I have installed hundreds of them in steel and aluminum control panels.

They would be flush on the side where the Tee fitting is and have either a but of a boss on the other side of the sheet metal.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: front brake t piece odd mounting hardware? Reply with quote

On the Bus the place where this part attaches is not flat. It's located right on the middle of a stamped rib in the floor section between the seats, so the rivet nut might not work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: