Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did I buy a '63 or '64?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

First time owner of a pre'68 beetle. I had a really nice '70 some years ago. But with a good price from a friend, this project is now mine.

After it was at home with the title I started to look into things.

i was under the impression it was a '64.

Verified the chassis number on the title to the one on the frame match--58196xx

Arizona tile lists it as a '64. However it also lists the date of it being First Registered as 04/1963.

That does not make sense since thesamba archives show it to be a September 1963 production.

So I have a '63, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

what is left of the original paint looks to be more of a '63 Turquoise than the Bahama Blue of '64.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

A September 1963 build would be a 1964 model year.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

That does have a 63 engine cover based on the liscence plate light.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

The very early 64s still had the 63 style decklid and front turn signals. I think they were only the first few months.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

The very early 64s still had the 63 style decklid and front turn signals. I think they were only the first few months.

The new license plate light housing didn't appear until January of 1964.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/64what_year/2.jpg

The car in question is a 1964 model made in early October 1963 based on the provided VIN.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The car in question is a 1964 model made in early October 1963 based on the provided VIN.

Agreed. I was going off the OP saying it was a Sept build.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

Do note in the late Summer when the adverts in paper, TV, and online start coming out about the new 2023 models you can buy when it is still well into 2022!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/11/why-us-model-years-come/
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

Need to see more of the car. I believe the trunk panel stamping changed in 64. I would need to verify that, but they modified that panel with different configurations of stamping. That ALMOST a sure fire method of dating these bodies, since that is a bitch of a panel to replace!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

If it has a factory metal sunroof it has to be a 64.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Correct, check out the Technical section - VIN/Chassis numbers for type 1
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

the wider license plate light came in august 63, all Deluxe 64s have it (Standards kept the narrow one) . Front indicators changed at the end of october
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

The first few months of the '64 model year retained the "beak" license plate light as well as the "peanut" turn signals; however, it had the new decklid with the shortened "spine."
You can see in the photo the spine ends at the license plate light, rather than curving down a bit below it, as it did in '63. VW was already anticipating the wider light.
obieoberstar wrote:

Other '64isms include new colors such as Java Green, Bahama Blue and Sea Blue, two thumb buttons on the steering wheel instead of a half ring, and unique
striped upholstery that didn't last long before splitting. (Most '64s needed seat covers.)

Heinz Nordhoff
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

i used to have a oct 63 car, i'm pretty familiar with 64isms Laughing
if you check any literature from august 1963 you'll see that they went through the trouble of airbrushing the wide license plate in place, or taking new pictures, so i don't think many 64 deluxes left the factory with the old style light
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
i used to have a oct 63 car, i'm pretty familiar with 64isms Laughing
if you check any literature from august 1963 you'll see that they went through the trouble of airbrushing the wide license plate in place, or taking new pictures, so i don't think many 64 deluxes left the factory with the old style light

Progressive Refinements indicates the license plate light holes where relocated the same time as the stamping was changed to eliminate the out turned ends on the center stamping. However, I have seen a number of those engine covers without the holes for the later wide plate light. A couple years ago I looked at a red Bug billed as a '64 and found it had an engine cover and plate like just like shown at the top of this post. It was an early '64 with I believe a September '63 production date. No evidence of welding up holes or doing any respaying of paint except for an exterior only overshoot. Progressive Refinements does indicate the front turn signals where the old style until October 31st '63. Below is the only shot I kept of the '64 in question.

obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

thanks all. looks to be an early production '64 model.

unfortunately the original fenders did not come with it. some unknown repop that have been sitting outside. I may be able to see if the fenders are still at the previous owner's place. that would be nice. along with the fuel tank and bumpers.

just going through the milk crates of parts that came with it. looks to be all there, more or less.

my plan is to put it all back together and make it a runner with out too much expended and enjoy it.

does anyone have a link to a parts catalog for this model? It would make putting this puzzle together again less painful.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:

does anyone have a link to a parts catalog for this model? It would make putting this puzzle together again less painful.

http://www.oacdp.org/

Left click on the "Upcoming" button at the top of that webpage for the type 1 parts manual.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

thank you
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
thank you

No problem! Posted the below previously in another thread, but worth posting again.

Parts manuals are a real eye opener, invariably you will find parts you did not know your VW originally had. For a lot of the smaller parts you can use the part number from the parts manuals to find more info part or availability of the part you are looking for thru a search of the WWW.

When you do WWW searches with the nine digit part numbers, put VW and a space before the part number. Remove the two spaces in the part number, and leave off any letter suffix at the end of the part number. So you will get a "VW XXXXXXXXX" to search with. Also "VW XXX-XXX-XXX" will work for other websites.

Keep in mind about every nine digit VW part number:

A. That the very first digit is what model of VW the part was originally designed for. Lots of type 1 parts on the type 2s, some type 2 and 3 parts were used in the type 1. Other parts are only used on that type of VW and no other.

B. 2nd and 3rd digits are the model the part was originally designed for. Some parts are ONLY for that model. Others were later fitted to all VW models.

C. 4th digit tells you which section/chapter of the parts manual the part is found in.

D. The 5th thru 9th digits are the actual part number.

E. Letter suffix means it is an improved part over the last part without letter suffix, or as each letter ( A, B, C, D, etc.) is used the later letter means some change has been made. Sometimes each later part can be used directly in the same area, some can not without replacing other parts around it.

F. If you know a part is RH or LH ONLY, you can tell by the last digit of the part number which side it goes on. an even digit then the part is RH, odd digit and the part is LH. Easiest way to remember this is that a LH drive VW has to have at least the driver, so one person, which is an odd digit. A VW with one driver and one passenger is two people, so an even digit.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: did I buy a '63 or '64? Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the information on the VW part numbering system. It all makes sense. It is amazing what a part number alone will tell you.

My plan is to get the glass in before the monsoon starts here in Tucson. All the hard parts are present, but the fasteners are missing or rusted from sitting in a plastic jar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: