Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!!! Input shaft will not come out
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! Input shaft will not come out Reply with quote

Ok, I have followed the instructions in the Bentley as well as discussions I have read on here. Remove the bell housing remove the circlip (or at least move it as far as possible) pull back the reverse sleeve and unscrew the input shaft. Unfortunately it will not unscrew. Anyone have any suggestions? Appears the builder didn’t back off one spline and maybe even used some type of locktite. I have even put it gear and blocked the spider gear (?) from turning and still no go. I know I am trying to unscrew it in the correct counterclockwise direction becauseI checked the new input shaft. Please shout out some suggestions as I would like to get his thing done and back in the van. You can email me directly at [email protected] if you want. TIA Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Input shaft will not come out Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got the collar moved far enough "upwards" but if there's any doubt about that, a couple pics of my old air cooled transaxle input shaft removal might provide perspective:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Input shaft will not come out Reply with quote

You need to rotate the differential until one of the spider gear openings lines up with the sleeve so the sleeve can slide a little more, into that opening.

It is still a very close thing to get the sleeve to slide far enough.
It has to slide far enough to stop bridging both shafts so the input shaft can turn independently of the tranny main shaft.

Like I said, this is a very near thing and you may need to fight with it a bit.

Edit: If you have a tranny with a 4 spider diff then there isn't an opening the sleeve can move into and you need to unscrew the left side bearing adjuster ring a little bit so the diff can move over a little.
If this issue applies to you, FIRST MARK THE ADJUSTER POSITION so you can put it back exactly where it was.
2 punch marks it what I do.

Mark
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Input shaft will not come out Reply with quote

Ok maybe I should have posted this to the stupid questions thread. After several people responded, some with helpful links, I went back aoutside and got the old shaft out in about 2 minutes. Maybe this topic should be stickied so that dumb, slow, old people like me can find it easily. Once again thanks to all. Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: