Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank interchange question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

I searched for a thread on this but couldn't find one
I need a new gas tank for a 76 fuel injected bus and was wondering if a tank from a 71 would work. Thank you in advance! 🙂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Not really.

Fuel injection gas tanks have inlet and outlet ports for the electric fuel pump and fuel rail return.

And I’m not sure, but I don’t think the actual shape of the tank is different, and I can’t recall if the fuel sender in a ‘71 gas tank is like the old tubular style, or if it’s the arm-float style.

Whatever the case, you’re better off holding out for the correct fuel tank instead of trying to dick around making one work and less you’re good at fabricating things; brazing, and welding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Definitely don't want to get into any rigging/fabricating lol thanks
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Hold out for the right tank.

Look into the Samba Photo Gallery and the Bentley to start identifying all the little differences.

Don’t get trapped into paying shipping for an incorrect gas tank because some dildo did not title their classified ad correctly and you trusted them to be right.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

And that'd be just my luck. Appreciate the tips these days I sure don't have time or extra money for unnecessary agrivation lol
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

why do you need a new tank?
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Bus has been sitting for the last 5 years outside at my house in a humid climate just thought the chances of rust from the humidity are high not to mention no fuel stabilizer added.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
Bus has been sitting for the last 5 years outside at my house in a humid climate just thought the chances of rust from the humidity are high not to mention no fuel stabilizer added.

I wouldnt pull that tank unless I had too. I had sludge in the bottom of mine from shellacked gas after a decade plus of sitting in the PO's barn. Soaking it in Marvels Mystery Oil (solvent really) did the trick after about a week.

If I have rust issues, I will probably try to put some diluted ospho in there before I pulled the tank. There are other products but lately I've been using ospho/ concrete & metal etch for everything except brushing my teeth with pretty good results so far.

Are you FI? If not one vs two outlets won't matter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Yea fuel injected 1976
Motor is out already
So a carberated tank from a 71 will work??
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
Yea fuel injected 1976
Motor is out already
So a carberated tank from a 71 will work??

No. FI needs a return if you are using the stock FPR. Pulling your tank is easy if the engine is out. Fix what ya got. Do the hoses too for good measure.

You should be able to see through the sender. Even easier if you buy one of those little fiber optic scopes to put on your smart phone. They are cheap from Amazon these days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

might as well pull it since motors out. all the vent hoses should be replaced, and the rubber filler tube and rubber inlet flange probably need to be changed too. you would hate to put engine back in, just to have tank trouble after the fact.

heres new proper style replacement.

https://www2.cip1.com/c24-211-201-075-m/

new for $250. the last used one i bought for $140 ended up having micro-holes right where the gas/water line was for years. from the outside, the tank looked good due to the rather thick factory paint on the outside. once i cleaned the inside and sanded down the outside to repaint, found several tiny holes. enough to scrap.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Keep your stock tank. Tank it to a radiator shop for a hot dip. You’ll be much better off
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Keep your stock tank. Tank it to a radiator shop for a hot dip. You’ll be much better off

This is the proper solution. Even the reproduction FI tanks do not have the proper baffles in them. You must use a factory FI tank unless you want to get into some obscenely priced custom aluminum tanks.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Called a few radiator shops 1 said they can't restore them anymore due to new dpa laws and another said they only do them in winter down months that they're too busy now will keeping trying other shops
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

There's always the DIY option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
Called a few radiator shops 1 said they can't restore them anymore due to new dpa laws and another said they only do them in winter down months that they're too busy now will keeping trying other shops

where are you in PA? Post the city and maybe someone here will know a place.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Lancaster pa but willing to travel to Hershey, Harrisburg , york
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

West York Radiator says on their web page they do gas tank cleaning. (717) 852-9454. Last one I had done here in Sacramento CA was for Colin (Amseptic) whose situation was a lot like yours on a bus he bought. Cost about $75 - $90 as I recall. If they don't do it or it is too far post back and I'll surf some more.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Also the web page for Middletown Radiator in Bird-In-Hand says they specialize in it. (717) 392-9600
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank interchange question Reply with quote

Whoa calling now!!!! 🙏😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: