Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RadFlo Shocks, Two Bump Stops? Shock Extensions, Shims
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: RadFlo Shocks, Two Bump Stops? Shock Extensions, Shims Reply with quote

Alright friends I have read every post about bump stops and am confused as all hell. I bought the RadFlo's from Burley, they are sweet. Wife and I can't have kids so the van gets to be our baby, I don't want to hear about the ridiculousness of the price, I am aware. We spend about 4 months a year in the van so the van gets what the van wants.

I've run into a some interesting configurations on this here van and I'd love to get some wisdom. As I was doing the fronts I came across two bump stocks on the front shock. There is the big one that attaches to the dust cover but a 2nd one was installed on the shock rod itself. Why would anyone do this? It would seem that this would create almost no travel for the front shock. I am thinking of taking off the small one that is attached to the shock rod and just running the big one on the top, for those that are curious the top bump stop is this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://vancafe.com/powerflex-shortened-front-bump-stop-set/

and the bottom is a Powerflex BS002 universal bump stop. Why both any ideas?

Second concern is that the the rear RadFlo's installed easily however, I have about an inch of shims and a shock extender, see picture. This leaves only about 2 1/4" of available travel when lightly loaded on level ground for the shock before it hits the bump stop. This seems like too little travel and I am considering dropping the extensions.

I've got Schwenck Springs with over 1" of shims, I did not install it this way, but I have enjoyed the lift this thing has. I have 944 Joints so I am not concerned about the CV angle.

What you all think?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RadFlo Shocks, Two Bump Stops? Shock Extensions, Shims Reply with quote

Only the Carat lowered van had the 3 rib bump stop I think. Others like the Syncro got 5 rib I think.

The aftermarket replacement match the 3 rib, so people add an extra donut.

If your axles or shocks can handle the extra travel, don't worry about it, just put the short bumps.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
craegandbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RadFlo Shocks, Two Bump Stops? Shock Extensions, Shims Reply with quote

Thanks Alika. When you say the short bumps do you mean the larger ones attached to the dust cover or the smaller ones on the shock rod? I don't think I need both. I was thinking of using the one on the black dust cover. It is my understanding that the ones attached to the dust cover are the replacement for the shorter carats.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RadFlo Shocks, Two Bump Stops? Shock Extensions, Shims Reply with quote

craegandbritt wrote:
Thanks Alika. When you say the short bumps do you mean the larger ones attached to the dust cover or the smaller ones on the shock rod? I don't think I need both. I was thinking of using the one on the black dust cover. It is my understanding that the ones attached to the dust cover are the replacement for the shorter carats.

The bump stops are only directly above the shock and associated to the dust cover yes, below the perch, that's why they are called bump stops. The outer one on top of the perch is always only one, no shocks are threaded long enough for more than one. So what you're playing with is the thickness of the bump stop, that's it.

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: