Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' !
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Finally it's standing on it's own 4 wheels again!

Still waiting for yet more welding gas so I can do the final bits of tidying, but the door gaps seem to have mostly sorted themselves out (just a tiny catch on the door lock post when either is opened / closed) and the 'stance' at the front looks about right. So I can finally bolt the chassis up to the bodyshell properly, and start hacking away at that spare wheel well to see what horrors await underneath...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Back on four wheels is a significant milestone! You are doing good work and making great progress!
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
Back on four wheels is a significant milestone! You are doing good work and making great progress!

Thanks Smile

Even more significant progress for me is that the doors almost shut properly at last - they've been wonky since I got the car.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Great progress! Your rate of repairing is awesome! You have to be getting excited NOW!

Keep up the great work!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Great progress! Your rate of repairing is awesome! You have to be getting excited NOW!

Keep up the great work!

Thankyou Smile

I feel like a bit of a snail compared with agramer1966's breakneck speed though Laughing
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Super progress 👍
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:

I feel like a bit of a snail compared with agramer1966's breakneck speed though Laughing

My build is progressing at a snail's pace compared to your 'breakneck speed', if that helps take the pressure off! Laughing
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
mj2k wrote:

My build is progressing at a snail's pace compared to your 'breakneck speed', if that helps take the pressure off! Laughing

Laughing

Yours is being done with somewhat more skill and attention to detail than mine though, and I bet the previous owner of my Super would have thought you were doing your restoration at a 'breakneck speed' - it took him 10 years to get the bug into the state it was in when I got it Wink

Wish I had his skills with filler / bondo though, his repairs looked perfect until I had to weld near them, which made them go black'n'bubbly.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Ah, but he had to wait to grow the trees necessary for the structural body repairs! That'd slow any project down! Wink
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Laughing
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Today was unexpectedly spent refitting the steering mech, no idea how but I spent almost the entire day fitting a steering arm to a new box, deciding which of my 3 universal joints, 4 idlers and 2 sets of control arms to use, and bolting them up to the car Rolling Eyes

Bit of a waste of time tbh since I'll need to take it all off again before I paint / underseal, but useful for moving the car around (I'll be able to wash that damned Bondo dust off at last) and I'll be able to see what clearance I need to leave when I turn the spare wheel well into a box. Oh, and I've finally got no play in the steering, which is a bonus.

Aside from that I shoved on a new Mexican unslatted decklid (the slats would have played havoc with an electric motor in the rain). Pretty ropey quality, but IMO it suits the car more than the original. I'll be leaving the VW 1303 script off too, it looks better without to me.

Before:

After:

Not so sure about the bulging Mexican rear valence's looks, but it gives extra clearance for the motor, so will be staying.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Had an, er, interesting weekend.

First, the good news - I can safely run my existing motor on a lower current Very Happy

So I trial-fitted the batteries and battery charging / management components in their final places. I had to put more behind the seats than I intended because there are new crash safety laws coming in specifying the batteries have to be at least 40cm from the front of the car, so couldn't extend the battery box right the way to the front, and decided to stick with approx 50kg extra over the front axle to ensure I didn't push the weight in the front up too much, which is approx the weight of 14 batteries plus the controllers once the weight of the fuel tank plus fuel is deducted.

So 18 batteries behind the seat together with the 12v DC-DC converter (12v battery will remain under the seat):

Seat back still goes up fine, so all good with that placement:

And with 14 batteries and the charger components in their correct place the front looks like this:

Which effectively means I don't need to alter the spare wheel well's shape at all.

However, the spare wheel well appeared to be an iffy mass of bondo and appeared to be made out of several disparate bits underneath (which made the MOT man think it was a cut'n'shut!):

So i needed to cut the spare wheel well out anyway, which meant removing the front panel (which was pop riveted on, it came off with one good tug) and having fun with my grinder. However, once I'd cut the well out it turned out all that bondo mess and iffiness was for nothing - the extra panel underneath was there for no reason at all (it's not present on the original so feck knows what it was there for), the metal was fine, and the mass of filler was just to cover a couple of dents...

Why the hell approx 2kg of filler and a pointless sticky-out bit of metal seemed a better idea than just beating the dents out is beyond me, but hey, at least I won't end up with yet more bondo dust over everything now I've cut the tray out.

So all I'm going to do is get a new spare wheel well, add more strengthening to it, and weld it back in where the old spare wheel well was, which makes all the palaver of cutting it out pretty much pointless (though no doubt quicker than removing all that bondo).

The one bright side was it enabled me to see the steering geometry properly (which resulted in me replacing the steering idler again), check out the frame head's strength and straighness properly (all good) and enabled me to clean up / rust proof my new inner wings and bulkhead repairs much better than I would otherwise have been able to do:

So not a total dead loss after all Cool

Just need to finish cleaning the remains of the old rustproofing off the frame head, drill out and helicoil the two bolts which are supposed to go into the bracket in the centre, and do a couple more repair patches on the frame head (done 1 already), and sort out the brake pipe routing, all of which are much easier to do with the wheel well out.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Nice job summarizing what needs to be and how. I like the new panel idea, but those are always a gamble. You never know how far off the shape will be!

Once again, awesome progress!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice job summarizing what needs to be and how. I like the new panel idea, but those are always a gamble. You never know how far off the shape will be!

Once again, awesome progress!

Thanks Smile

I figured the (inevitably Klokkerholm) replacement panel's likely to be not quite right, so I've left the 'shoulders' in place and just cut out the bowl of the wheel well. If they can't even get the shape / size of a circle right there really is no hope Laughing

I've kept the rotted front part of the wheel well (which was pop-riveted to the front panel) as a template, so I can fabricate that part myself if needed.

If I'd known it was just a huge pile of bondo over some dents I'd probably have left the original well in place (it was still in pretty good condition) and just sorted it out properly, though the MOT inspector hopped about and said nasty words like "cut and shut" when he spotted the mess (the UK term for when you weld the better bits of 2 badly accident damaged cars together, to make a dangerous crab) which is usually a one-way ticket to the crusher, so like it or not I'd most likely have had to replace it anyway to keep the inspector happy.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

I've got the Klokkerholm replacement wheel well, it seems to be shaped properly.

I'm still going to just use the centre section though - the Kokkerholm hasn't got the cut-outs for right hand drive and the 'shoulders' of the existing panel are fine. Besides, the Klokkerholm's made of thinner metal so I'd be making things worse rather than better by fitting the whole panel.

But before that I've got yet more welding to do - I went to weld up a pinhole I spotted in the left hand footwell below the 'frunk' spring mount, and it blew straight through. Looks like the metal there is paper thin despite cleaning up well, so I've now got an awkward patch to weld in which would have been much easier without the inner wing fitted, and no way to reach the weld to clean it up once done Rolling Eyes

So that's a definite 'gotcha' for anyone replacing the inner wing - check the area round the 'frunk' spring mount very carefully before welding the replacement wing in 'cos it'll be much harder to patch once the wing's in place.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Posted this in the wrong thread 2 days ago...

Spent yesterday redoing the repair panel behind the right hand door and rewelding the lower hinge mount on the left hand door.

Lots of gardening to do today - whilst not great for humans, May's weather in the UK has been great for weeds Rolling Eyes

But I did have a couple of hours spare after almost an entire day weeding and cutting plants back, so planned to do the panel behind the left hand door and the upper right hand hinge, but once again bondo thwarted me.

The right hand top hinge mount had a bit of bondo near it, so started to grind it out. And ground, and ground. Turned out a repair panel had been welded into the bottom of the rain channel, but wasn't quite the right shape, so it had been reshaped (badly) with a load of bondo. Wondered why the front of the door was way too close to the windscreen pillar...

Rest of the day was spent cutting the old panel out, cleaning out the rust behind it, making a new panel in the right shape, and rolling the edge so it fitted in with the reamining part of the channel:

So just got to do the panel behind the left hand door to do (at least I know there's no bondo in there, I've already repaired that panel once) and finally the effects the wonky bodyshell had on the door apertures will be gone
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Finshed re-welding the left hand panel behind the door, and re-mounted the doors.

Left hand door still scraped a tiny, tiny bit, but once I'd sanded off the 6 thick layers of different coloured paint from the door edge, it was fine, and the door gap was back to 4.5mm with the door closed. At least that explains why that later door doesn't look quite right - the paint on it is so thick it's puffed up like a cushion! (I reckon it's been on quite a few bugs since 1974...)

Right hand door closed fine with the door striker removed and also had approx a 4.5mm gap all round, but it bound on the striker as soon as I fitted it. Much puzzling and examining the gap from both inside and outside with a bright light shining through it, I couldn't see any issues so ground a bit off the edge of the striker (as per my other thread), which made a slight difference.

...And then noticed there was a slight lump in the door aperture, near the line where the body curves out from the window. Gave it a tentative hit with a hammer, and a lump of Bondo dropped out.

So put a piece of straight angle iron against it, and sure enough the door aperture's twisted there, and was pulling the section where the striker sits out of true Rolling Eyes

So looks like I may have yet more Bondo removal / patching to do there (unless it's a plain, good, old fashioned dent cover-up) but in the mean time I gave the distorted part a few big whacks with a hammer until it sat straight, and now the door closes with a 'click' rather than a scraping sound Thumbs Up

Annoying I've now needlessly damaged the striker a little though d'oh!
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Still waiting for a new brake master cylinder to arrive before I sort out the brake pipes (might as well leave the spare wheel well out 'til I've done that), so I've fitted my new carpet (except on heater channels) to give myself a bit of a boost:

Image also shows just how much Bondo dust there is over everything. Need to give the car a thorough spring clean to get rid of all that, once I'm sure there's no more to come Laughing

Also a quick pic of the door gap - much better after a little attention with a hammer Very Happy

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Bondo dust sucks! I dislike breathing it as well!

The car is looking more solid. It is a good feeling moving it along through the process, right?

Fingers crossed for figment of the carpet!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Carpet looks fine, and even though it was a cheap Ebay special, it's far nicer quality than the proper carpet sets you can buy through your favourite Bug parts supplier Smile

Did my one other bit of necessary EV body modification today - making the spare wheel well's bottom flat. Took unexpectedly long, 5 hours, but all I need to do to complete it is weld a thick section of angle iron on the underside, and weld a suitably high metal block onto that so it can rest on the frame head. That'll be plenty strong enough to support the batteries.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: