Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' !
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

I've picked up a very nasty non-Covid cold so can't do anything on the car at the mo, but the adaptor plate for the motor, the repair panels for the rear quarter, and my 64 EV batteries arrived this week Smile

Just waiting on the new right hand inner wing (which should be here in a couple of days) and I should be in a position to trial-assemble the EV setup once I've done the welding, to see if it all fits without making the Super collapse in a broken heap on the floor.

First stage will be to test the batteries though - at the price I paid for them half of the purchase cost would have gone on shipping, so I'm not expecting brand new Grade A batteries, but hopefully enough of them will be useable to make a decent battery pack.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Finally managed to unpack all the batteries in between coughing fits, 64 of the beggars altogether!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(6 moved aside because they're slightly bulging, rest under test)

I'll need 60 of them altogether, 5.4kg each = 325kg battery weight... Phew! 
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

I'm finally over my nasty cold but still testing the batteries - I've tested 44 so far, 26 have passed and 18 are junk. Not a good rate!

Also got the new inner wing, and was pretty impressed with the quality (it's one of the 'beige' ones rather than the black). So ordered some higher quality bottom door post repair panels (UK made) and the difference in quality between them and the cheap black ones is night and day - they are much thicker, the screw mounts are much more robust, and the shape is pretty much spot on compared with the original panel. About double the price of the cheap black ones, but worth every penny!

No chance I'll be able to fit them this month (the battery testing and my cold ate up all the spare time I would have had) but I'm a lot more confident I'll be able to get this shoddy shell into a decent condition now I've got good quality panels to weld in Thumbs Up
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Sounds like you have what everyone I know, including myself have gotten! I am still coughing a few coughs throughout the day.

Really hard to believe that so many of those batteries are wonky! Very high percentage of paper weights to usable units! It will be worth it in the end.

Keep on going, I check in a few times a day and always look for updates!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sounds like you have what everyone I know, including myself have gotten! I am still coughing a few coughs throughout the day.

Really hard to believe that so many of those batteries are wonky! Very high percentage of paper weights to usable units! It will be worth it in the end.

Keep on going, I check in a few times a day and always look for updates!

Smile

I'm getting there, the last 5 batteries I tested were all good (by my low standards) so the percentage has gone up a bit, still got a load more to test though, and each test takes at least 6 hours end-to-end so it'll be a while 'til I'm finished.

Would have been a better use of my time (and I'd have known I'd get a good, useable EV at the end) if I'd bought known 'Grade A' batteries either direct from Eve, or from one of the more-respected EV parts suppliers (like EVWest or their smaller EU partner EVEurope), but it'd have cost at least 4x as much for the batteries, which would be a fairly serious chunk of money.

About the same cost as a decent 2nd hand Chevy Bolt or suchlike, which whilst not as interesting, would save a whole lot of bother. We haven't got that on this side of the pond though, best we've got is the Nissan Leaf, which you wouldn't want 2nd hand.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

All batteries tested, 42 OK for use I think, 2 borderline and 20 completely duff, so about 1/3 of them are no good for an EV Shocked

Next stage should be to complete the welding, but would be wise for me to sort out the front suspension first and remove any post-74 Beetle parts in case the mixture of rack and steering box components have pushed the alignment so far out of true it's impossible to accurately weld in new structural components.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Been a bit of a quiet time for me over the past month between that nasty cold, a holiday and 2 weeks of procrastination where I hardly went in the garage Embarassed

But last week I got off my butt and did something - I swapped the front suspension, which made much less difference to front track and rigidity than I expected, but at least the wheel camber is controllable now.

Then sorted the gearbox rear housings - turns out there was a blanking plug covered in filth for the reverse switch on the 'box I'm keeping, so that was nice and straightforward.

And finally after much intricate cutting to work around original metal in good condition (that was the most complex shape I've ever welded) and time puzzling over what the heck was in front of the wheelarch (has it really got 5 skins in that area, is that 3-4 bodge repairs in a double skinned area not quite touching each other, or is it a single skin and a gigantic mess?) I've at last got the new panel welded in on the left hand corner in front of the rear wheelarch Smile

Bearing in mind how complex that was, how I had to spend an entire day removing filler before I could start work (everything's still covered in fiberglass dust over a month later) and how it very nearly made me give up on the project, I'm going to leave the right hand side well alone except for sorting the door gap (right hand replacement panel is welded in wonky so the door hits it!) unless sorting that reveals any more hideous blunders...

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

That looks really good Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:

Thank you Smile Thumbs Up
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Gah, had to say it, didn't I?

I thought I'd better have a quick look at the right hand side before I left it be - 1/4" thick filler over the panel, and in the wheelarch it's welded to paper thin rusted metal. So that one's got to be replaced too Rolling Eyes
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:

I thought I'd better have a quick look at the right hand side before I left it be - 1/4" thick filler over the panel, and in the wheelarch it's welded to paper thin rusted metal. So that one's got to be replaced too Rolling Eyes

Just do it. There is only one way through this build, and that is straight ahead.

You are building a really nice bug.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
mj2k wrote:

Just do it. There is only one way through this build, and that is straight ahead.

You are building a really nice bug.

Thanks, and then I'm going to ruin it by turning it into an EV. Well, either that or shove a Subaru EJ20 up it's backside Very Happy

I've removed the filler and started cutting away at it, aside from the door opening and down by the running board it's only held on by tack welds and rust, so I suspect it's going to come out quite easily.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
...and then I'm going to [improve] it by turning it into an EV...

Fixed a typo. Wink
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Thank you Smile Thumbs Up

Agree. It looks good! Did you have to reshape the panel at the B pillar. The last one I did, the panel was barely shaped. Ended up redefining the bends!

Oh, on the rust. If you are going to replace the panel. Get rid of all of the rust. If you leave a tiny spec, it will be back in no time! I like to follow up my repairs with a good once over with Naval Jelly and epoxy primer.

You’re doing great! Keep at it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Agree. It looks good! Did you have to reshape the panel at the B pillar. The last one I did, the panel was barely shaped. Ended up redefining the bends!

Oh, on the rust. If you are going to replace the panel. Get rid of all of the rust. If you leave a tiny spec, it will be back in no time! I like to follow up my repairs with a good once over with Naval Jelly and epoxy primer.

You’re doing great! Keep at it!

Thanks for the advice Thumbs Up

Yes, that was part of the whole complexity of fitting the panel, though I still have a slightly wider gap than expected at the bottom of the door aperture, which will need a skim of filler to make it look right.

Opposite problem with the panel on the other side - the gap is too small so the door hits the bodywork. I thought the bodyshell was deformed until I stuck a straight edge on it and noticed the existing b post repair is sticking out at a funny angle...

I wish there were better quality repair panels for those bits, but it appears the Klokkerholm ones I've got are the best you can get, despite being mis-shapen at the b post and made out of thinner metal.

No chance in England of finding an original bodyshell to cut repair sections out of which hasn't already rotted away there or had replacement sections welded in either.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Get a body spoon and a big hammer. The spoon will weasel into the body cavity from inside the panel card area. From there you will need to place the spoon, strategically, and tap (light taps, but not too light), to move the panel a tiny amount at a time. Do not use heat. You want this to be a cold reforming, for strength, because the more you hit the panel, the brittler it will become, eventually tearing if you work it too quickly or too hard.

After you get it pushed over with the spoon from the inside. You can work out the lumps with a flat body hammer from the outside. But back your taps up with the spoon with moderate pressure, so that the panel does not go back into its old shape. It may take several sessions to get it 100%, but you can get it there. Well, you have to! Because that are will not hold onto filler very long. The closing of the door will eventually vibrate it loose. The only real fix is to get the panel really close and then you can skim coat with a light layer of body putty, if needed.

I have a spoon that I have fallen in love with! Here it is. Ordered it from Amazon on my lunch and had it before the weekend rolled around!

Martin 1024 9" Blade Surfacing...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN8OIM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Get a body spoon and a big hammer. The spoon will weasel into the body cavity from inside the panel card area. From there you will need to place the spoon, strategically, and tap (light taps, but not too light), to move the panel a tiny amount at a time. Do not use heat. You want this to be a cold reforming, for strength, because the more you hit the panel, the brittler it will become, eventually tearing if you work it too quickly or too hard.

After you get it pushed over with the spoon from the inside. You can work out the lumps with a flat body hammer from the outside. But back your taps up with the spoon with moderate pressure, so that the panel does not go back into its old shape. It may take several sessions to get it 100%, but you can get it there. Well, you have to! Because that are will not hold onto filler very long. The closing of the door will eventually vibrate it loose. The only real fix is to get the panel really close and then you can skim coat with a light layer of body putty, if needed.

I have a spoon that I have fallen in love with! Here it is. Ordered it from Amazon on my lunch and had it before the weekend rolled around!

Martin 1024 9" Blade Surfacing...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN8OIM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Seems like a good idea, I'll grab one of those for other areas of the body Thumbs Up I've already got ancient hammers and dollys but nothing which can reach inside a double skinned area.

Though in this case the step is only about 1/8" so I might be able to get away with setting the wire speed higher, weld current lower and just splatter weld another layer of metal on top.

But first things first - the other side (this is the left not the right, I was getting left and right mixed up Embarassed ). Good job I did grind the repair panel off, either it's been there for a very long time or the panel was slapped straight over the top of old rusty metal with no attempt to clean it up!

Still, at least the door closes properly with that wonky panel cut off:

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

That door gap is way too tight. Suppose to be 6mm, if I am remembering correctly. Your door gap looks to be too tight. If so, that is an improperly placed B pillar issue. What is the dimension between A & B Pillars? 924mm for the left side, and 923 for the right side. Like this.

And just in case.

Hope it helps out!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
That door gap is way too tight. Suppose to be 6mm, if I am remembering correctly. Your door gap looks to be too tight. If so, that is an improperly placed B pillar issue. What is the dimension between A & B Pillars? 924mm for the left side, and 923 for the right side.

Hope it helps out!

Thanks once again, very useful Smile

The heater channels had been replaced and given the wonky workmanship of all the other replacement panels I was expecting the worst, but I got a surprise when I checked the measurements - they're within a couple of mm of being correct! Shocked

So i checked the other door aperture measurements - all correct too!

Which leaves three possible explanations for why the door gap is so small (it was even worse before I cut the panel off - the bottom of the door rubbed on the b post) :

My tape measure is wrong.
It's the door - it's a post-1974 door in a 1973 shell, so maybe for some mysterious reason they changed the door dimensions slightly when they changed the winder mechanism?
Or, most likely, it's the hinge mount. The bottom one on the left hand side is a mess of filler, bent metal and iffy welding, and stands slightly proud of the A post.

The hinge mounts on both sides are next on my list for replacement as I work from the rear to the front of the car...
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Good grief, the list of things to repair has just got even longer...

Whilst cleaning up the left hand rear corner ready for welding I found an area just above the rear torsion bar which is going to need welding.

"Simple", thought I, "I'll just unbolt the bodyshell and raise it enough to give me proper access. Only, when I removed the bolts, nothing moved at all. So I removed the bolts on the right hand side, a bit of cracking of sealant, and it split straight off the chassis enought to allow me access to the side i don't need to repair.

So I removed the bolts from the front end of the car so I could completely separate the shell, in case that's what was causing the issues. Both bolts in the frunk were sheared off, the bolts right at the front edge were missing (presumed sheared off again), and the left hand bolt at the end of the floorpan just spun uselessly, accompanied by the sound of a nut spinning round in rotted metal. I cut that off, and tried the process again - still no movement.

Much chiselling, jacking of the shell in iffy points and puzzling later, I'd worked out what the problem was - the chassis had been welded to the shell just next to where the spinning bolt had been, hidden under a layer of sealant. So that's one massive bodge weld to remove, and judging by the cracking sounds there's not much left of the left hand inner wing beneath it's many patches, so looks like I'll be replacing both front wings rather than just one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: