Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death in the family
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Death in the family Reply with quote

Yesterday I got a call from my son's company. He had called in sick last week and they hadn't heard from him since. It wasn't like him and they were worried. I was on record as his emergency contact. The fire dept was called to do a wellness check and they found him dead in his apartment. He had a heart condition and was very overweight. He was 39.

So what follows for me is a blizzard of new experiences. Find a mortuary. Call his landlord. Clean out his apartment. Find out if he has stuff that needs to be returned to his employer. Figure out what to do with his car.

My son and I hadn't talked in over a year. I don't know that we could have done anything different on that score but there is a lot of guilt that comes with it regardless.

Hug your loved ones. Don't loose touch. You just never know.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

sorry for your loss and that it happened in such a way as this. initially there will be plenty to arrange and organise then there will be a lot to process emotionally. hopefully you have family and friends for support...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

We are lucky enough to have both friends and family close. Thank you.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

So sorry for your loss..
My condolences to you and your family.

Dave

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. Last year was a cluster cleaning up my mom’s estate.
Great news last week, our first grandson was born 8 days ago.
Not so great. This past Saturday, our 34 th anniversary, our first grand daughter was still born with out a heart beat at 24 weeks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

Very sad news.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

That simply sucks, sorry for you loss. Parents are not supposed to outlive their offspring.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above, what terrible news, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Ruined my day to hear that, but at the same time it reinforced my determination to try and maintain a good relationship with my kids, even if they get under my skin now and then.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

May the Lord be of comfort to you and your family. You are in my prayers.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My sincerest condolences.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My deepest sympathies Max, so sorry to hear.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

Losing a child at any age eventually leads you to appreciating children everywhere. Even 35 years later, I can still cry somewhat randomly over this
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

I can't imagine what you are going through, and the mix of emotions you must be having. Life can be so unfair. Try to cherish all the good memories and time will ease your sadness. My sincere condolences.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My condolances to you.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My condolences.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

So, so sorry to hear of your loss ... !

PLEASE DO THIS :

1) allow yourself to grieve. Don't hold back - this is normal and healthy (both for you, family, & friends).
2) after the arrangements are done find a quiet place by yourself. Write your son a letter and tell him everything you would've said or think he needs to hear . He will see/get the message and you may fell a little bit of closure. Show it to no one, this is between you and your son - destroy it afterwards.

This has helped others who were harboring ill emotions considering loss, survivors guilt, & etc..

Gentle blessings ...

jinx

In 2000 my Mom passed in Az when I was in Tx. I fastened a dozen red carnations onto a board with her name & dates. I found a stream & let it float away till it went around a bend while telling her what I felt I needed to say. I still miss her & wish I could hear her voice one more time.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My sincere condolences, Max.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

So very sorry, Max and family, I am only a private message away, should you feel the need to lean on someone, or bend an ear..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

My sincere condolences to you and your family, Max.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Death in the family Reply with quote

Max, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear son. When you have gotten through all the logistics think about what jinx758 said as it is a very therapeutic method of coping. I hope reading all of these posts offer some comfort to you and your family.

Max Welton wrote:
Yesterday I got a call from my son's company. He had called in sick last week and they hadn't heard from him since. It wasn't like him and they were worried. I was on record as his emergency contact. The fire dept was called to do a wellness check and they found him dead in his apartment. He had a heart condition and was very overweight. He was 39.

So what follows for me is a blizzard of new experiences. Find a mortuary. Call his landlord. Clean out his apartment. Find out if he has stuff that needs to be returned to his employer. Figure out what to do with his car.

My son and I hadn't talked in over a year. I don't know that we could have done anything different on that score but there is a lot of guilt that comes with it regardless.

Hug your loved ones. Don't loose touch. You just never know.

Max

jinx758 wrote:
So, so sorry to hear of your loss ... !

PLEASE DO THIS :

1) allow yourself to grieve. Don't hold back - this is normal and healthy (both for you, family, & friends).
2) after the arrangements are done find a quiet place by yourself. Write your son a letter and tell him everything you would've said or think he needs to hear . He will see/get the message and you may fell a little bit of closure. Show it to no one, this is between you and your son - destroy it afterwards.

This has helped others who were harboring ill emotions considering loss, survivors guilt, & etc..

Gentle blessings ...

jinx

In 2000 my Mom passed in Az when I was in Tx. I fastened a dozen red carnations onto a board with her name & dates. I found a stream & let it float away till it went around a bend while telling her what I felt I needed to say. I still miss her & wish I could hear her voice one more time.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: