Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'86 2.1L Westy: Smoking
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan Healey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: '86 2.1L Westy: Smoking Reply with quote

I’m writing in regards to my 1986 2.1L VW Vanagon Westfalia (4-speed). 2-weeks ago, I traveled from NYC to Memphis to Saratoga, NY and back to NYC with no problems. This weekend, I drove the van from NYC->Danbury, CT->Westport, CT->NYC. While in Westport, I let my buddy test drive the car. He wasn’t used to the clutch and he was really holding it too long while accelerating to medium RPMs. At one point he dropped the clutch and the rear tires spun a little bit.

After the test drive, smoke was pouring out the rear, driver-side engine exhaust ports, as well as from the rear, passenger tire. I let the car cool down and eventually drove it 60-miles to NYC. Once I parked the vehicle it smoked a little bit again. The coolant light is reading normal; however, I did notice a significant drop in coolant from the resevoir behind the license plate. Interestingly enough, this morning there was no coolant puddles below the car. What do you think is going on? It does smell like burning coolant when the the car smokes. One more thing: I did add 1-quart of oil while in Westport.

Any ideas as to what's going on?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool If is NOT blue oil smoke, then it must be coolant. On the 2.1, the thermostat housing sits behind #4. I have seen many that leak at the base, dumping coolant onto the exhaust from #4. Check to make sure that unit is tight.

Make sure the hoses coming off of #2 are also not leaking, that will also dump coolant onto the exhuast system, and lastly, that little tiny 1/4 inch connection on the front of #1, make sure it ALSO is not leaking and the clamp is tight

Twisted Evil
Jonathan Healey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I figured out the problem. It appears that there is a pin-hole leak in one of the aluminum tubes. From the expansion tank (the one on the left side), there’s a larger rubber hose that connects to a large aluminum (metal?) hose. At that juncture there is a tiny pin-sized leak. Can you guestimate a cost and length of time for a fix? Right now, I’ve patched the hole with an epoxy and it’s wrapped with gaffing tape.

Where do I find info for the #4 etc remarks you've made?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: