Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

About to register my Syncro Westy in Oregon and wondering which license plate Oregon assigns to the Westfalia? Is it the "K" plate followed by 6 digits or the "HD" followed by 5 digits? TIA
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

ours had the HC, or i guess they must be up to HD now, for the motor home reg when we lived in OR

i forget if i got to choose whether that was the case or if the DMV person just checked that box because it had a bed and kitchen.

either way it didnt affect insurance, for whatever thats worth...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Finally got through to OR DMV.... Westfalias are not considered "moterohomes", so they said the normal, 6-digit plates are available, like the standard tree plate.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

When we got ours registered it came with HC plates and the local DMV said that's what had to be. (shrug)
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Depends on a LOT of things. Normally they get plated with normal automobile plates. SOMETIMES you'll see them with HC motorhome plates, but thats because someone took the time to re-register them that way. Sometimes its useful, sometimes its not...
You can ALSO register them with "Special Interest" plates as they're old enough to be able to get them. They have some upsides and downsides... No DEQ and never re-register them again are some of the ups, not being able to daily drive them is the big down.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

When was that?

Andymon wrote:
When we got ours registered it came with HC plates and the local DMV said that's what had to be. (shrug)

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

GoEverywhere wrote:
not being able to daily drive them is the big down.

ive seen this mentioned all over the internet for years, but have never once heard or read of anyone getting busted for "daily driving" a special plated car.

our westy now that were in WA is plated on '83 vintage plates, and i have another car on '67 historic plates, neither are daily driven but theyve been driven to work quite a bit and ... no problems.
i have no idea how theyd go about busting you for this as there are always all sorts of "test and tune" type exceptions

GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
GoEverywhere wrote:
not being able to daily drive them is the big down.

ive seen this mentioned all over the internet for years, but have never once heard or read of anyone getting busted for "daily driving" a special plated car.

our westy now that were in WA is plated on '83 vintage plates, and i have another car on '67 historic plates, neither are daily driven but theyve been driven to work quite a bit and ... no problems.
i have no idea how theyd go about busting you for this as there are always all sorts of "test and tune" type exceptions

Ohh I agree. I know literally hundreds of SP plated cars and I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for one either. But LEGALLY, thats what the law says.

The loophole (at least in Oregon) is that the law says you can "not use the vehicle primarily for the transportation of persons or property".

My vehicle is a camper. Its PRIMARILY for camping, or using as my mobile office. That doesn't mean I CAN'T use it to transport persons, it just can't be the main reason its on the road.

Mine has SP plates, and I recently got a speeding ticket in it(Speeding ticket in a VANAGON?!) and the officer didn't even ask about my SP plates. Just wrote the ticket and sent me on my way.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

This was of interest to me, as I just moved to Oregon and will have to register my van soon. The form for the special interest plate states:

“If certifying this vehicle to be an antique vehicle or special interest vehicle that is not a racing activity vehicle, I certify this vehicle is to be maintained as a collector’s item and used only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar functions. I understand it is a crime to operate this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration provisions as specified in ORS 805.030. Such a crime is a Class D traffic violation and may result in this registration being canceled.”

Enforcement may be debateable, but I certainly wouldn’t want to go this route to avoid registration fees.
Some people call him Maurice...
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
This was of interest to me, as I just moved to Oregon and will have to register my van soon. The form for the special interest plate states:

“If certifying this vehicle to be an antique vehicle or special interest vehicle that is not a racing activity vehicle, I certify this vehicle is to be maintained as a collector’s item and used only for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar functions. I understand it is a crime to operate this vehicle outside of the limitations of the registration provisions as specified in ORS 805.030. Such a crime is a Class D traffic violation and may result in this registration being canceled.”

Enforcement may be debateable, but I certainly wouldn’t want to go this route to avoid registration fees.

I *DO* maintain my Vanagon as a collector's vehicle. Its not my daily driver. Its a classic vehicle I own for enjoyment purposes. Some of that includes driving it simply because I enjoy it. I'm in several local clubs. It goes to club meetings. One of the club activities is driving it for fun either as a group or solo... I don't feel my usage of it is outside the rules of the laws on them.

If it WAS my daily driver I probably wouldn't have put SP plates on it. I still drive the hell outa it, its on the road several times a week. But none of that is primarily for 'transporting of people or property'. I don't feel that their vague wording is my problem, its pretty easy to justify how my usage fits inside the law.

Ultimately its up to you if you agree, but thats how it's being enforced by the police around here.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:

not just the fees, but DEQ as well - though i think in scappoose youre still in the metro/DEQ zone.
we used to live in st helens which was outside of the DEQ zone so it was a moot point

GoEverywhere wrote:

I still drive the hell outa it, its on the road several times a week. But none of that is primarily for 'transporting of people or property'. I don't feel that their vague wording is my problem, its pretty easy to justify how my usage fits inside the law.

Ultimately its up to you if you agree, but thats how it's being enforced by the police around here.

agreed

ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I’m not talking smack about how you register your vehicle. I was just curious as to what the limitations of the special interest plate were and looked up the form. After a lifetime in CA, Oregon vehicle fees and restrictions feel like a breeze, and for me, it’s going to make the most sense to just roll with a standard registration.
Some people call him Maurice...
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Just to be clear, I’m not talking smack about how you register your vehicle. I was just curious as to what the limitations of the special interest plate were and looked up the form. After a lifetime in CA, Oregon vehicle fees and restrictions feel like a breeze, and for me, it’s going to make the most sense to just roll with a standard registration.

I totally get ya Smile And its good to know what the rules say when choosing how to register for sure!

Yeah, compared to Cali ours aren't too bad. Mine wasn't so much about saving money, the biggest reasons I did mine originally was having problems with DEQ after an engine swap. Running on carbs with a 2.2 stroker 914 engine with a huge cam I couldn't get my idle CO emissions down to what DEQ required. It was well below requirements at load, but at idle it failed. This exempted me from DEQ and got me registered while I converted to Megasquirt. It'll pass DEQ fine now, but I don't see the point in switching registrations at this point.
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Andymon wrote:

Mine was the same, but that was a long time ago (so long that it was simply an H plate - not HC). I had a neighbor that reported my daily driver "motorhome" was parked on the street every day and when I contacted the DMV they told me I'd have to remove the sink and stove if I wanted a standard plate.

In my experience with the Oregon DMV, it often comes down to who you talk to as to what the rules are/aren't.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

I had a 77 van with HC plates long ago. Registration was a lot cheaper for that plate. It's confusing for sure. I thought it had to have a bathroom for it to be a motorhome.
I would just register for a normal plate and save yourself any headaches that may come with a motorhome designation. There aren't any real benefits that I know of. Most people never even ask if it's a vanagon.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I would just register for a normal plate and save yourself any headaches that may come with a motorhome designation.

Gulfport FL - RV can't be parked on street or in yard w.o a permit to ensure no camping in it. Regular car park all you want and camp in it all you want.

Found out details when I was approached at 5a after arriving at the boat club front lot at 4:30a awaiting them to open. Cop was aggressive, didn't seem to matter that I was a club member and that (it turns out) the Vanagon is not an RV by registration and by length. He calmed down a bit when I asked about the homeless camping in cars at library parking lot etc. He effectively said the rich leftist community was OK with poor people camping in cars just didn't want rich RV folks to infiltrate their town and to rather rent the Air BNBs. Looked at the codes and the history of the ordinance....now if you OWN an RV and OWN a residence, you have to park it in back so its not visible from street and have to call ahead for a 3hr window to pull it out in the front to load for your trip.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Did you get plates today?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Does your particular auto insurance company consider it a “Motorhome” because you have a pop top, sink, and stove? Some people don’t mention to the insurance company the details of their van/bus when they get auto insurance.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Does your particular auto insurance company consider it a “Motorhome” because you have a pop top, sink, and stove? Some people don’t mention to the insurance company the details of their van/bus when they get auto insurance.

The DMV only requires that you have it insured to register and get plates. HOW you have it insured is a whole nother subject. There are several threads on this.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Oregon License Plate for Westy's? Reply with quote

You can also buy year of manufacture (or close to YOM) plates and use them on a special interest vehicle. If you do this at the time you register it as a SIV I don't think there is any extra charge.

With Special Interest Plates I think you are supposed to be limited to staying within a 75 radius of where the vehicle is normally parked. This would be a joke in eastern Oregon where the towns may well be further than 75 miles apart. Pretty much if you lived in Burns you could not drive to a car shown in Bend, the closest town of any size to the west.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: