Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

That's what I heard from the front as I pulled out of my driveway. When I straightened out, the 1-2" of free play in the steering wheel suddenly became 12" and the steering locked up..then popped loose. NOw I have a steering column that shifts up and down,side to side, loose as a goose.
Won't be able to get into it for a few days but I'm thinking maybe steering box or ...?

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Steering coupler

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

And don't buy a red urethane one. They are known to disintegrate with out warning.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Ugh! That's a mess Semper Dad. Hope mine's not that bad. I suppose I'll have to pull the gas tank to get at that bad boy or can a replacement be done another way? (I just filled the tank so it will be a pain to drain it all...😠)

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

carsdlt wrote:
Ugh! That's a mess Semper Dad. Hope mine's not that bad. I suppose I'll have to pull the gas tank to get at that bad boy or can a replacement be done another way? (I just filled the tank so it will be a pain to drain it all...😠)

It's one of those jobs you wished you had drained and pulled the tank AFTER you tried doing it through the wheel well.

Stay away from those orange urethane couplers. Make sure the replacement coupler has layers of both rubber and cloth reinforcement. Sometimes reffered to as a "rag" coupler. And one last thing,.....don't forget to replace the ground jumper between the coupler otherwise your horn may not work.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Found one at theThingShop..plain black..looks like rubber. I've always had good luck with their stuff,but it's only $9.00. Seems kinda cheap...

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

carsdlt wrote:
Found one at theThingShop..plain black..looks like rubber. I've always had good luck with their stuff,but it's only $9.00. Seems kinda cheap...

You'll probably pay more in shipping. Most likely an EMPI product. You never know whether it's a good product until you get your hands on it. Get the same coupler on Amazon cheaper and no postage if you are a Prime Member.

As a general rule, any part number that begins with "111" is a standard Beetle part and can be found cheaper at places that are NOT 181 exclusive sites. Not always true but worth checking out. Goes for any parts that begin with "211" also. Those are generally bus parts.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Look at the link that I posted above. There are plenty of VW ones available, but you need to pay.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the OEM stuff in the classified. Got to eyeball it first to see what I need. Stay tuned.

yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

You can definitely do this job by pulling the front wheel and working with some jack stands. I did my a few months ago and did not pull the fuel tank. Took me about an hour. Its a bit fiddly but easy ! I also changed the steering damper at the same time.....its in the same area and very easy.
Have fun
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

You want one with multiple plies of fiber reinforcement. I would call whatever vendor you choose to use and ask them how much reinforcement their product has.

EMPI and CIP are just not good sources for this kind of part.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:

No reinforcing cordage to be seen, not good. Sad
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Yep, if it tears then there is no safety backup without the fiber discs woven in like the urethane ones (they are known to crack).
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Ok...finally got to get to this chore. New coupler in but now I have a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. Maybe the bushing behind the snap ring?

carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

...removed the snap ring but CANNOT get that bearing to pull off. Is there some trick to that?

doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

hey Carsdlt,

Check and see if the 'cage" or steering crushable area part of the steering is rubbing on the gas tank when you turn the steering wheel.
I ran into that changing mine out years back, I ended up mucking with it and added some new gasket material to the gas tank to body which raised the gas tank up "just a bit" to clear that cage.
I did have to remove the tank to redo the tank to body gasket.

I can't remember if it was from changing out that rag joint or if it was when I replaced the gas tank but I defiantly had some tank to cage rub going on.

Not sure if there's another way but that fixed mine.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Thanks, D ...I'll check it out and post my findings.

carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SNAP!...CLUNK...GRIND... Reply with quote

Thanks, D ...I'll check it out and post my findings.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: