Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 FI
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

In my '86 Syncro - I've got a 1994 Subaru Legacy 2.2 motor.
I've been dealing with some fuel injection and idling issues. When replacing some electrical connectors for the Fuel injectors - I realized there appears to be one very common one, and then another one. I have the uncommon one. Looks are very similar, but the shape is different enough that the electrical connector would not attach properly.

Anyway - I was able to replace 2 electrical connectors, but still have some issues. I'm thinking of replacing the Fuel Injectors themselves, and want to make sure they match the electrical connector - but then was thinking, maybe I should get the Fuel Injector that is more common, and get electrical connectors that match.

Hope that makes sense.

Here are 2 connectors that are supposedly for my engine -

So I'm wondering if there are interchangeable - ie do they all act the same - as long as they are designed for a '94 subaru legacy?
https://tinyurl.com/2j5j4txa
https://tinyurl.com/ft8ncbjz

The ebay one is the one that fits my injectors.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

you should have the side feed injectors (they have the aluminum cap on them and screw to the fuel rail)

if so, you're kinda stuck with that setup

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Dumping a bottle of FI cleaner into your tank every 10K miles or as needed will typically keep you injectors working well. If more is needed you can pull them and send them off to a cleaning service. There may be aftermarket injectors that fit your engine, but they may well not be an improvement, no matter the hype.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

If I take FI's out, will I need new seals when I install them again?
If I buy new ones - do they come with seals, or is this something I need to buy separately?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
If I take FI's out, will I need new seals when I install them again?

yes

kguarnotta wrote:

If I buy new ones - do they come with seals, or is this something I need to buy separately?

no idea. depends on the vendor

honestly, i'd get the original ones cleaned and flow matched

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Initially I was planning on getting original ones cleaned, but I also need the van to get around. So I figured a swap with new ones, and get old ones cleaned.

I found brand new injectors - https://www.ebay.com/itm/254836295788

To get what I have cleaned and flow matched is more than brand new ones. I will probably still get the original ones cleaned, but then keep them as backup, and use the new ones. I'm just trying to predict what I'm going to run into when I take the old ones out.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

i would seriously reconsider your plan

Link

at the very least i'd be looking for OEM and get them done. I have yet to find ANYONE that has had any luck with cheap injectors

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i would seriously reconsider your plan

Link

at the very least i'd be looking for OEM and get them done. I have yet to find ANYONE that has had any luck with cheap injectors

X2, Skills. OEM injectors are very well-made and I can't understand why anyone using a stock engine would not use properly-serviced serviced stock injectors.

It's like the CV joint issue - - the factory VW axles and CV's are way better quality than any aftermarket replacement except for the genuine Porsche 930 units.

Most injector service companies have a very fast turnaround.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I found brand new injectors - https://www.ebay.com/itm/254836295788

re" skills' comment above

Maybe if it has Seller paid return shipping and you could get your OEM ones redone under 30days, you could have them in place while yours are redone and if they are crap, you would have them as a bandage/trial while yours are getting fixed....and if they are OK, you won the Ebay quality lottery

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Well - I got the replacement fuel injectors, and they are not a match, guess I'll keep looking for something to replace these.

At this point I need a vehicle every day - maybe if I get one of my other buses going reliably, then I can take these FI out, and send them in to get refurbished somewhere. Anyone have a clue how to get the right fuel injector? Or have a recommendation on a company that refurbishes them?

thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

You should be able to pick up an OEM Subaru a set at a wrecking yard
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

you sure you don't have pieces stuck in your intake? never seen an injector like that. it's looks like it's missing the entire pintle cap assy

any VIN# for your engine? i can't easily help without one

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

alright

my curiosity got the best of me

90-91 legacy turbo only injectors

16611 AA120 is the subaru number

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

good luck finding one of those in a junk yard

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

thanks skills.
I don't have a vin# for the engine - as far as I know this era of subaru engines don't have a vin #. If there is one there - please give me some tips on how to find it.

As far as a wrecking yard - I don't think that is really an option.
I can imagine that a cheap injector may not last long or work as well as reconditioned original ones, but I'm just trying to find something that can work while I get the original ones reconditioned/cleaned.

When I bought this van, I was told it was a '94 subaru legacy, but maybe it is a different year, may explain why I have so much trouble finding parts/connectors etc.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Contact these folks. See if they can help you source JS221-1 fuel injectors, and what servicing yours would run.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/pages/contact-us

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

What ECU are you running? Maybe the system was just pieced together, best to start at the top.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Maybe the system was just pieced together, best to start at the top.

every time i've tried to help him i think the same thing. it's either a mixed bag of parts tossed together or whoever built it/had it built just didn't remember

when i have tried to look up parts by the info he's given nothing makes sense. i went down the rabbit hole trying to find the injectors because i don't ever remember seeing that style.

this is why i stress to swappers to record the VIN and build date of the donor. if not, you run into an ass ache like this for the simplest things

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
Maybe the system was just pieced together, best to start at the top.

every time i've tried to help him i think the same thing. it's either a mixed bag of parts tossed together or whoever built it/had it built just didn't remember

when i have tried to look up parts by the info he's given nothing makes sense. i went down the rabbit hole trying to find the injectors because i don't ever remember seeing that style.

this is why i stress to swappers to record the VIN and build date of the donor. if not, you run into an ass ache like this for the simplest things

I have the VIN of my Subaru donor car written inside the cover of my Bentley.

Subi's have some weird differentiation by VIN that I normally wouldn't think of. Just found out that for a 1990 2.2 the coil pack is different between an automatic and a manual transmission car.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Hey guys - thanks for the help. I did not do the conversion - I believe it was done 2 owners ago, and have been running with info that was given to me. YEs - it is a pain that most times when I look for parts for a '94 they don't seem right.

As far as the ECU - is there something on the ECU itself I should be looking for to determine which ECU has been installed?

Everything was working fairly well - aside from poor idle that got really bad the last two months - which was fixed by swapping in a new IACV.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

the ECU would give you a year range, but if someone swapped all the bits beyond that it would be hard to tell.

really you best bet is to make note of all the parts you've replaced by keeping tabs on the part numbers.

those injectors according to the info i have were turbo only, so who knows if the rail/intake was swapped out or it was a bunch of random stuff tossed together.

i've been involved in 3 "re-do's" at this point and all 3 sucked because in those cases it was a engine from here, harness from there, intake from that guy...

really made it a huge pain in the ass to track down parts.

i'm going to guess someone tossed in the injectors because "they flow more" or some such nonsense, but looking up your year range under NA lead to the injectors you bought. it was only when i went to the turbo the injectors you have were even an option, and were a few years off

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: