Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.2 FI
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

ok - I do keep a notepad with all the work I do on the Van, and record any parts I install along with part numbers for reference.

Funny - you said turbo only, when I called that Fuel Injector Connection - (VERY helpful on the phone) - he said he thought the FI were from a '90/'91 legacy NA motor (I assumed NA meant Naturally Aspirated, as opposed to Turbo).

They currently charge $35/injector for reconditioning. Takes about a week or so.

I've just got to find time when I can take it off the road that period of time...

-Kevin

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Subi's have some weird differentiation by VIN that I normally wouldn't think of. Just found out that for a 1990 2.2 the coil pack is different between an automatic and a manual transmission car.

90 and 91 have several FI parts that are specific to drivetrain type and each year. '92-'94 parts are swappable.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

it very well could be....

the only way i found those injectors was by looking up a turbo of that vintage both with subaru and world pac.

either way, at least you have a p/n now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

for cleaning your injectors:

https://www.injectorrx.com/
1 day turn around possible.

Very Highly Recommended:
https://www.witchhunter.com/

http://docinjector.com/locations.html

For some reason these are all in my back yard, but I am sure you can find a New England injector cleaning service.

If your engine is 1990 -1991 - you should use: 16611AA090 Injectors. Or 16611AA310 for 1992+. However, since it may be you have a miss match of parts on your engine, who knows what you need!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

ok - the 16611AA310 is not right for my car - or rather it does not match what I currently have. (Based on google search of that, and comparing to what I have). That is what I purchased originally - and it was different than existing.

16611AA120 - looks a lot more similar to what I have already installed.

16611AA090 - doing a search for this - I see one on Amazon - and it looks different from what I have.

As far as fuel injectors go - can you use whatever will physically fit? I don't really understand the difference between them - aside from looking at them - and seeing which ones looks the same. I assume they have different spray patterns, or the inject different amounts of fuel. IS this the sort of thing that you choose one FI over another due to performance? or is only one going to be compatible with my engine.

I'm not necessarily looking for a high performance or FI that is deisgned for racing or anything - it is a brick on wheels Wink

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

no, you need the 16611 AA120

the way they seal inside the rail is your issue.

look at the seals between the different injectors. hate to say it, but you have to run the style you have or switch out the fuel rails

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Another option is getting a later model EJ22 intake manifold and wiring harness.

Jeff at Autoventures could make this happen. That is the route I took - 91 EJ22 here with a 97 intake (OBD2!). Heck, he can ever clean the injectors too! Highly recommend him and his work.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this if you were in California.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

I have spare set of injector holders from a 94 2.2 you could install those ebay injectors into and get rid of the others. You'd probably need to swap in some new plugs as well but that wouldn't be a bad thing. I could drop them in the mail tomorrow if you want them.
Probably just take an afternoon to swap out.
Also, have you looked up the part number off the ecu to see what it came from? Might help when dealing with other issues.
I'm glad I was able to do this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll add I have the entire intake manifold if by some chance you have an oddball on there....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Wow - lots of great ideas...
I understand - get that one type of FI - 16611 AA120. I don't have a problem with them - just was not sure what dictates the FI you use - it sounds like the Fuel rail determines which FI you use?

Switching to OBD2 is very tempting...the meager feedback from OBD1 is a pain, I really like the idea of plugging an obd2 reader in, and getting instant feedback on my phone. At least I imagine that is how it would work (it did on my more modern vehicles) To do so would require a lot of changes right I have no idea what would need to be changed - aside from the ECU, wiring harness, fuel rails...I'm guessing a lot more?

If I looked on the ECU - is there a code stamped on it to let me know which one I have, or do I just post some pics of what I have.

Additional update - at one point I was wondering about the coil - but couldn't put my finger on why I thought that might be an issue. When talking to the Fuel Injector Connection guys - they suggested checking that. I noticed the spark plug connection for one of them is a bit corroded (looks green inside). He told me the resistance should be 12 ohms, and when they go bad the resistance goes down to like 3 or 4. Before I could even test it - I figured the corrosion indicates I should probably replace it.

I've got the new one in hand, pouring rain right now. Hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow - and I'll put it in.

I am not in CA - previous owners were, and as far as I know it is CA legal now.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:

That looks to be an ECU from a '90 manual tranny car, the part number is at the top. That year is more picky about parts needed for it.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:

Switching to OBD2 is very tempting...the meager feedback from OBD1 is a pain, I really like the idea of plugging an obd2 reader in, and getting instant feedback on my phone. At least I imagine that is how it would work (it did on my more modern vehicles) To do so would require a lot of changes right I have no idea what would need to be changed - aside from the ECU, wiring harness, fuel rails...I'm guessing a lot more?

OBD2 is awesome - works like your modern car reader. Diagnostic CELs and several data points on your phone.

Again I'd maybe call up Autoventures and explain to him your situation. He should be able to 'upgrade' your harness - meaning he would probably sell your OBD1 setup to someone in California.

The whole intake manifold will need to be replaced (fuel rails included), engine wiring harness, ECU, cam/crank/knock sensors. Autoventures even has an injector cleaning service.

I did this with Autoventures but I also did have an Autoventures harness previously so I am unsure if they will want your old harness.

Love my OBD2. Again Jeff at Autoventures is awesome. His 'code eliminator' board is cool also.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
kguarnotta wrote:

That looks to be an ECU from a '90 manual tranny car, the part number is at the top. That year is more picky about parts needed for it.

Yip, a 1990 Legacy ECU. So why is it you have 2.2 Turbo injectors? Now that is strange. I am sure they flow differently than the Non-Turbo injectors. If it were me, I would be switching the injectors to the N/A ones. If it takes switching manifolds, so be it. It is a simple swap. The 2.2T is quite rare and the parts are more expensive, so I would eliminate as much turbo related parts as possible.

On the other hand, I think it would be super cool to run one of those 2.2t engines in a vanagon!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
kguarnotta wrote:

Switching to OBD2 is very tempting...the meager feedback from OBD1 is a pain,

OBD2 is awesome - works like your modern car reader. Diagnostic CELs and several data points on your phone.

The whole intake manifold will need to be replaced (fuel rails included), engine wiring harness, ECU, cam/crank/knock sensors. Autoventures even has an injector cleaning service.

Love my OBD2. Again Jeff at Autoventures is awesome. His 'code eliminator' board is cool also.

I'd like to do that too for my obd1 frankenmotor. The later OBD2 ECU has much more range for learning. It compensates better for timing, fuel etc. I could easily run the Delta 220 cams with the OBD2 ECU where my OBD1 ECU has issues with the increased compression and cam timing.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.2 FI Reply with quote

Just updating here...

I finally found a short spit of time where my wife is travelling so I can use her car - so I pulled the fuel injectors from my engine Took about 2 hours! Those things were really stuck in there.

When I go to install the cleaned/refurbished ones - I have read to put a bit of vaseline on them when installing - any other tips?

I also plan on contacting WestyVentures.

Mtnhome -sorry I missed your offer - it sounds like a good one. I am not sure what is involved in changing the injector holders and intake manifold...I may contact westy ventures first. I think I've got a mishmash of stuff on my engine.

Anyway - thanks for the tips...I'll let you know how the replacement goes.

Oh yeah - I also found a set on ebay - that have the same number stamped in the side. JS22-1. I ordered these as well - hopefully something will work Wink

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: