Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

I discovered a spark plug insert had fallen into the cylinder, thankfully I heard it as I was installing the plug.

(Here's my last thread full of blunders)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768763

I finally got the heads off today plucked the insert out and had about 30 seconds of feeling pretty great. Everything came apart pretty easily due to to the oil cooler leaking oil everywhere for the past couple years. Then I saw the piston. I see why there was no compression in 3.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's trashed. These are the valves. The top pic is from the side with the bad piston.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I clearly need one new piston but I'm betting I have to replace them all to keep everything balanced.

The cylinders all look ok and feel smooth inside except at the very outside edge nearest the valves. I'm hoping I can get them cleaned up but if I replace the pistons do I need new cylinders to match? New heads/valves too?

What do folks think? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm learning as I go. Thanks.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

That piston was ruined before the insert fell in. It was burned probably due to excessively advanced ignition timing.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

What tells you that? The insert looks trashed and I was assuming pieces of it fell into the cylinder and caused the damage. Maybe it was too long?
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

n1,

You can try to patch this up for short term using a decent used piston. BUT, there’s a lot going on here. If you absolutely need this running then go used and promise you’ll save for a full rebuild.

That scored piston and cylinder has dumped a lot of material into your case that will now run through your bearings. Rapid wear. Also, now you have crud in your oil cooler.

Maybe just buy a long block and a new oil cooler then go from there.

I know it’s a lot of money but your engine needs a full rebuild and I don’t recommend using that head with an insert once you’ve torn into it.

Good luck. This is my first post. And yes, I’ve rebuilt more than a few bugs/engines I’m just trying to offer some simple advice.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

n1 wrote:
What tells you that? The insert looks trashed and I was assuming pieces of it fell into the cylinder and caused the damage. Maybe it was too long?

That insert did not cause much, if any, damage to the piston. Yes, little bits of it appear to have floated around & made impact with the top of the piston, but the rounded edge on the lower edge of the piston, the burned away ring landings, & the transfer of the piston material to the cylinder wall & further down onto the piston is a blatant indicator of the aluminum melting. This is caused by pre-detonation (spark knock), and/or overheating.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
n1 wrote:

That insert did not cause much, if any, damage to the piston. Yes, little bits of it appear to have floated around & made impact with the top of the piston, but the rounded edge on the lower edge of the piston, the burned away ring landings, & the transfer of the piston material to the cylinder wall & further down onto the piston is a blatant indicator of the aluminum melting. This is caused by pre-detonation (spark knock), and/or overheating.

This.
All that burned up metal residue is going somewhere, in your bearings, oil cooler, passages, etc. Time for a complete tear down and rebuild.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Well I guess that settles it. I assume this means cracking open the case?

https://www.jbugs.com/product/VW1600ENGINEREBUILD.html

I see these rebuild kits online. Are they worth using? Is there a certain vendor that sells better quality parts or should I be looking for rebuilt/refurbished VW parts. The idea of a kit seems to make sense for me as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any thoughts on the heads? Can they be repaired/rebuilt or is it better to have them replaced. I like the idea of keeping them original.

Thank you for all the advice. I'm learning as I go thanks to everyone's help.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Check out the engine forum. There is an ocean of advice and a million different kinds of builds…there are a few threads that break it all down nice and simple step by step instructions…get a Haynes manual and a Bentley Shop Manual… and the Idiot Book by John Muir is helpful too… YouTube videos…all of it comes in handy…

…and if I can do it… and did it… anyone can!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

I am a teacher in an elementary school. I was a teacher before I had my own kids. I remember seeing some pretty terrible parents that had good kids despite their most negligent efforts and it gave me a little confidence that I would be ok.

I'll dig into the engine threads. I feel ok about all of it.....except the heads. I have no clue how to handle the valves.

I have the Muir book and the Bentley manual. They have gotten me this far. I'll keep reading and watching videos.

Thanks and I'll take any other advice anyone has.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

I watched this video a while back— he makes it seem doable.

Link

That said, I’ve never tried.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

I'll definitely watch that. That guys videos helped me get my carb tuned up a few years ago. Thanks.

That battery you got to me will be useful someday.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Building an engine from used parts requires tools and a good machinist.
When I was a neophyte decades ago I used to buy longblocks which are assembled engines from head to head. CB Performance sells them and they have a good reputation.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Boy would I love to get an engine that was ready to bolt on, but alas, CB Performance is not even remotely in my price range. I agree about using used parts. Sounds over my head.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a rebuild kit like the one I mentioned earlier? Or something like this?

https://socalautoparts.com/product/engine-rebuild-kit-complete-new-1600cc-85_5mm-x-69mm-mahle-cast/

I'm in southern Maine. Does anyone know of a shop that would go through the heads? My Muir book keeps telling me to send them out for a valve job.

Thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Dude, throw those heads away.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dude, throw those heads away.

Look at CIP1 they sell stock heads likely for less then it will take to fix those turds.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Thanks. That's the kind of info I need.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

The place heads crack is from the sparkplug hole to the valve seats, so if you look where the insert was you have almost no "meat" which will help your valve seats to come loose and cause you to suck a valve and destroy a new motor, junk those heads.
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

Oh. That makes a lot of sense. I guess they are junk. I'll send them out to pasture.
n1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

I'm going to order new pistons, cylinders and heads from cip1 and go with that. I've got to check the main seal too but I couldn't get that big nut off. Hopefully I can get this thing running again before the summer is over.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ruined Piston. How much trouble am I in? Reply with quote

n1 wrote:
I'm going to order new pistons, cylinders and heads from cip1 and go with that. I've got to check the main seal too but I couldn't get that big nut off. Hopefully I can get this thing running again before the summer is over.

Are you taking the crank, rods, case and flywheel to a Machinists to be measured and inspected, rods rebuilt, crank polished or cut? You don’t want to slap an engine together with used parts that are not reconditioned.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: