Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

These pics are for Syncro.
2WD doesn’t have this “rusty pin” problem.
================

My fuel gauge is intermittent, sometimes showing 3/4 full when I know the tank won't take another drop.

It could be a faulty fuel level sending unit, but it's a well-known problem that the connector gets rusty - because it's a steel pin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its steel because it's spot-welded to the sender plate.
But steel is not a proper material for an electrical connector.

It would be real difficult to clean these pins, especially "on-car".

But you can nullify the rusty pin (and its OEM ground wire) by adding another ground from a tank-bolt.
Then you only have ONE questionable connection remaining, but it's not the rusty one.

===================

The Syncro fuel tank sending unit is behind the shock tower in the left side wheel well.
You have to unbolt the charcoal canister mount.
It's not easy to work in there, but the task is fairly simple.
-----provided you DON'T break off a rusty m6 fuel tank sender stud.
......better be frikiin' careful, be sure you know what you're doing with rusty m6 bolts.

Be real careful unscrewing this 10mm nut.
I threaded an M6x1.00 thread die on first to clean the threads out before attempting to unscrew the nut. I screwed it on (by hand) on then flipped it over to cut right up to the nut.

it would be wise to soak a rusty nut with penetrating oil for a few days before starting the job.
When you unscrew the nut, go back and forth a few degrees at a time, giving the penetrating oil time to soften the rust.
Don't twist the stud off or you have a bigger problem. Shocked
Plus you won't have a stud for your ground wire. Shocked

Under the nut is a large diameter washer, and under that washer was clean, shiny metal for a good ground connection.
The ground wire ring is directly against the sender flange.

Here's the ground wire attached to one of the screws that hold the charcoal canister to the shock tower.

You may be wondering if this solved my fuel level problem.......
Sorry, I don't know, because my tank is about empty right now.
I'll know more next time I fill up. Funny I'm not really looking forward to filling it.
But this corroded pin in the connector is a well-known Syncro problem.

Here is a better pic (different van).
This van is unlikely to have a fuel pump grounding problem for many years, with a brand new sending unit.
The connector is attached with dielectric grease inside to prevent corrosion.
The ground is added here 'cuz it provides a nice pic for this thread. Wink 👍🏽

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:45 am; edited 8 times in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

'91 2WD DD on salty roads. My gas gauge has gotten really squirrely. First it didn't work at all because of poor wiring on my part, and then when that was fixed, in still didn't go. Put in a new/used one and it sort worked, but took 10 miles to get to a steady needle position, which didn't seem to mean anything. Have checked the ground feeder from the gauge, but get an open circuit reading on the VOM. So now the gas gauge is the same as my '57 23 window was--the odometer. Will be putting in new stainless coolant lines shortly and will go all through the system including a new sender. It's 31 years old fer crying' sake! I'll add to this topic when I do it, but will ground some other place than the spot welded male connection where I can get to it and keep it clean.

Duncan
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

the fuel needle on my van will change by half a tank if i go from uphill to downhill. eg, downhill it is 1/2 full, uphill looks empty. i don't trust it a bit.

when flat, it seems reasonably accurate. or perhaps least wrong on average. hur hur.

i am overdue a fuel tank reseal/replacement, but i wonder if the crap accuracy is due to it being a relatively flat shallow tank, so you can't really fix that.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

A while ago I lost my temp gauge in my analog dash clock face. I pulled the panel apart to ensure all the connectors and the foil were secure (they were). Prior to this my gas gauge would never go to full even though the tank was, in fact, full. While I was checking connections I also loosened and retightened the brass nuts securing the foil to the back of the clock/gauge assembly.

My temp gauge still doesn't work, but SURPRISE! My fuel gauge now reads full when the tank is full.

Something else to check. Your mileage may vary. Yuk yuk.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

thanks for posting this. I went to fill up a couple days ago, thinking I was near empty, and it only took 9 gallons til over flow!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

Very clever ground fix Smile

Side note: pretty please call nuts by their thread size and not their hexagonal size, you're so much better than that Idea (10mm nut is generally M6, 13mm nut is M8 but Japanese cars often have 12mm for M8, M10 is 17mm but now VW has cheaper hardware with 16mm hex, while the Japanese have 14mm hex etc....)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
2WD grounding should be similar but the tank and sender location is different.
Maybe someone can post this same task for the 2wd.

The 2WD sender isn't bolted into place; it's a twist-lock using a plastic/nylon housing.

There are multiple chassis ground points above a 2WD tank; this is one of the factory locations (above the sender):

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Side note: pretty please call nuts by their thread size and not their hexagonal size, you're so much better than that

🤣🤣🤣
But then all the fellers gotta edit their “lost 10mm socket memes” to lost M6.
I would surely use m6 where it could cause confusion.
Or where the feller thinks I don’t know the difference.
To me a M10 bolt refers to the specs and 10mm refers to the wrench size (and implies m6 bolt).
10mm is what’s printed on the wrench or socket .... so people call it that.
Some folks get confused if you go deeper than wrench size.👍🏽

Thanks Kamz for the 2wd clarification.
So 2wd fuel tank sender doesn’t have a steel ground pin that gets rusty.
That's good.

I edited to “Syncro” in the thread title.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

I fought through the 3/4 tank when full issue recently and finally fixed it.

1. P.O. had already replaced sender with non OE sender
2. I replaced sender again and still received 3/4 tank reading
3. Jumping sender pins resulted in full tank reading
4. New aftermarket sender ground tab was broken from plate. I had to weld it back but still did not result in proper reading.
5. Removed sender from tank and manually cycled float arm. I was able to get a good empty and full reading on the gauge.
6. Determined the float was not contacting or anywhere near bottom of tank when empty by removing filler neck and looking into the tank. I have pictures of this in my build thread.
7. Added several degrees of bend to the float arm and now tank reads full when full and empty when empty.

Once I fixed this nagging issue and thought I was home free, the Syncro gods bestowed upon me the gift of several other unrelated component failures. But at least my fuel gauge works now...
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

Not sure about the circuitry here and I don't have my Bentley in front of me, but isn't there another place this could be grounded that's easier to access?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate (how-to ground the sensor with pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Side note: pretty please call nuts by their thread size and not their hexagonal size, you're so much better than that

🤣🤣🤣
But then all the fellers gotta edit their “lost 10mm socket memes” to lost M6. No, you're talking about a tool, not about a nut or a bolt. That's a different nomenclature. Example: hammer and nail. It's just how things are, when correct.
I would surely use m6 where it could cause confusion. You're adding confusion by switching denominations then.
Or where the feller thinks I don’t know the difference. Well they gotta learn the right way. It's like grammar, there are rules for a reason. Everytime I see a video on Youtube calling a 10mm nut for an M6 nut, I'm turned off Rolling Eyes
To me a M10 bolt refers to the specs and 10mm refers to the wrench size (and implies m6 bolt). I know your statement makes sense, but it's not a proper way to call them. Input 10mm in Google search, see what comes up. An overwhelming amount of results are M10, bc the first way to call a nut is by its thread, not by its wrench size, which is second in importance. It's viewed from a fastener point of view, not from the wrench holder point of view.
10mm is what’s printed on the wrench or socket .... so people call it that.
Some folks get confused they have a problem, they have to adapt if you go deeper than wrench size.👍🏽

Thanks Kamz for the 2wd clarification. Early senders are metallic on 2WD, not that it matters for grounding. Also, I'm pretty sure there are not many ground locations above the fuel tank, just one. Some have a dual brown wire, some just one. I haven't traced the dual wire, maybe a ground redundancy to the dash as well? I just parted out a harness yesterday from an 88 Carat that had a dual wire connection there.
So 2wd fuel tank sender doesn’t have a steel ground pin that gets rusty. They do have an internal brass contact, a long piece of flat bar that snaps when it's old and the tank stays empty, it turns green , just a slight surface corrosion but somehow something shrinks and it snaps. That's the main failure I have seen multiple times. I rebrazed it once just for fun, it worked Laughing
That's good.

I edited to “Syncro” in the thread title.

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

Great tip.

Did it fix your gauge reading?

s
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
!

haha you KNOW I agree 100% with an agile mechanical mofo getting all anal !!
Especially if it's 'correct' which you are.Wink Wink

Steve Arndt wrote:
Great tip.

Dunno yet. Haven't saved up enough money to fill the gas tank.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Dunno yet. Haven't saved up enough money to fill the gas tank.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Sad truth
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sensor w/pics) Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

👍🏽 YES 👍🏽

(sorry for delay but I had to 'remember'
to update this thread
at time of fill-up
...a tall order.....)

Sorry Alika, 10mm wrench - 6mm nut :shaka:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

Huh, now I wonder if my new fuel level sender issue is just a grounding problem.

I will add a new ground and see. I doubt it. But I can be hopeful.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Huh, now I wonder if my new fuel level sender issue is just a grounding problem.
I will add a new ground and see. I doubt it. But I can be hopeful.

No harm in trying, it's easy enough.
The new ground pin on the new sender is prob good, but maybe the ground receptacle in your plug is dirty/rusty.
Adding a direct ground will bypass the old ground entirely.
Note that you have to get clean contact to "the sender plate" not the nut or the m6 threads.

If the 12v+ socket on your fuel level plug looks corroded, note that you can rob a fresh new connector/socket from the OXS/mileage counter on your speedometer.
Rob a connector from OXS light

SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
These pics are for Syncro.
2WD doesn’t have this “rusty pin” problem.
================

My fuel gauge is intermittent, sometimes showing 3/4 full when I know the tank won't take another drop.

It could be a faulty fuel level sending unit, but it's a well-known problem that the connector gets rusty - because it's a steel pin.

(stuff clipped out>

The connector is attached with dielectric grease inside to prevent corrosion.
The ground is added here 'cuz it provides a nice pic for this thread. Wink 👍🏽

Definitely trying this on my Syncro when the weather warms up.

Thanks Tom!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

I did the same for the coolant temp. gauge. (Slow to respond and not showing real temp). The ground is on the base of the sensor and it's not enough. I added a wire ground wire from the sensor to the chassis and it's working great.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Fuel gauge inaccuracy (how to ground the sending unit) Reply with quote

Great thread. My fuel gauge shows 3/4 full when filled up. Have been wanting to rip into this issue but had no idea of where to begin. Will check the grounding points of the sending unit. Will reply back soon. Thanks.

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: