Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Code
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

no , coil overs on the front beam?? wideass tires up front makes them handle funky, sp 1500cc maybe? running wheel adapters with cheby bolt pattern?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

I'd buy that rail for the wheels. I don't think I can get a rail registered in my state.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

I intend on changing the wheels anyway and the coil overs I don't have much experience with. Over all it seems to be a nice buggy for a very cheap price. Yeah the motor might not be the greatest either but I'm not looking for a speed demon. If I don't like the motor I will either rebuild it with better parts or buy a new already built engine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

I am not a fan of wheel adaptors either but my street Buggy has had them on it since 1976 and they have not failed yet. My sand rail had them on the rear when I bought it and I took them off, not due to failure, just because. A light sand rail should never brake them under "normal" use.

A 1500 SP again in a light sand rail will move it along quite nicely. My 1600 SP will do 70 mph if I ask it to. Depends on what the end use of the machine is.
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Just a street rail buggy to cruise around town with maybe the occasional off roading but nothing major
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Which one should I get?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

That's a tough one to advise on from pictures. Both look pretty complete and quite nice. Take them for a drive and see which one runs, handles, steers, stops and overall drives the best. Then decide if the price is justified. Don't let the eye candy sway you.

I just got back from an event where an absolutely immaculate Baha Bug took some top honors and was surrounded by a crowd all day. In contrast there was also an older gent there with a tube frame, plywood covered farm Buggy. No one gave it any more than a glance. His "Lumber-gini" he said he called it and told us stories of driving it all over Western Canada. Built it 47 years ago!

When it came time to do the usual VW parade through town the fancy Baha had a hard time starting, farted, missed and bucked like a mule. He could hardly keep it running under 2500 rpm (1641 with stock cam and Solex carb!) while the Lumber-gini started with a touch, idled and ran like a well oiled Swiss watch!
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

So I ended up getting the blue buggy. It runs perfect and drives decent. Yes it needs some work to the wiring and other odds and ends but it is a decent buggy. The things I don't like about it are the high seats and the wheels. And for some reason it's hard to find reverse but when you find it your good. Not sure if it's a linkage problem or not. Here are pictures of the motor if you can tell what year it possibly is.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Cowboysunshine9 wrote:
Here are pictures of the motor if you can tell what year it possibly is.

Likely a 1600cc DP engine with progressive carburetor, 009 clone, generator clocked incorrectly (should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise). And even in a buggy - don't we want cylinder tins ??????????????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Cowboysunshine9 wrote:
Here are pictures of the motor if you can tell what year it possibly is.

Likely a 1600cc DP engine with progressive carburetor, 009 clone, generator clocked incorrectly (should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise). And even in a buggy - don't we want cylinder tins ??????????????

Yes, even on a buggy with the engine sitting completely in the open you still need cylinder tins and should also have sled tins or similar to direct cooling air completely around the cylinders and heads.

I also see at least one intake manifold boot that is cracked and likely leaking vacuum, not to mention unsecured ignition wires that are just begging to get mangled by the fan belt.... which is also stretched out and needs replaced.

Oh, and the generator has covers installed on both brush slots, so no cooling air can make it through from the incorrectly clocked backing plate. Wink
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Well it looks as if I have some work to do. I noticed the intake manifold boots being cracked but I will have to look into the cooling tins that's if I can even order them. Also the wiring is a mess and I'm currently trying to fix that. The motor was just rebuilt and has less than 250 miles on it and the guy said he put a Engle cam in it as well but with the obnoxiously loud exhaust which is another thing I'm changing I can't tell if it's cammed or not.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

The tins are widely available both new and used -- used tends to be better quality, though they'll typically need to be cleaned up and repainted.

The least intrusive method of determining what camshaft you have is to check the lift and duration at the rocker arm using a dial and a degree wheel. Slightly more intrusive but not too bad on a buggy would be to remove the oil pump and look for identifying marks stamped into the end of the camshaft itself.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

AD engine code=1972 type 1.
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Thank you very much
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The tins are widely available both new and used -- used tends to be better quality, though they'll typically need to be cleaned up and repainted.

Not so anymore.
These are amazing quality.
The only difference I can spot is the font for the numbering.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477466

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Any reason why the bug will turn over but will not crank? this is the original bug in the start of the post. It spits gas out the top of the carb and just spins over. I changed the coil and no difference. I dont see any spark at the plugs but the plugs were wet with gas. Im confused as to what happened to it. I just drove it this morning and it ran fine. Also it fouls out 1 spark plug. What would be the cause of this?
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Help me please I just want to drive my buggy
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Typically when an engine rather suddenly goes from running fine to having no spark at all (starter still works fine), either an ignition circuit wire has come loose (ones going to or coming from the coil) or the coil switching components (points/condenser or electronic module) have failed.
Cowboysunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

I ordered the pertronix ignitor to see if that helps as well as a new coil. But the coil works in another buggy so I assume it's not that. Also could it be the alternator/generator by any chance.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Code Reply with quote

Could have way overheated the generator by now. Kinda depends how long it hasnt had any air with both slots being covered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: