Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I’m looking at getting a ‘56 Oval. It will need a whole bunch of work but I like it because it’s complete and I can do a rolling restoration on it.

It has a 36HP engine, but the engine isn’t numbers matching. Also, I have my heart set on changing the rusty paint color and like the idea of putting in an interior that looks generally stock (and tasteful), but won’t be stock…like using tweed or herringbone.

So if the car is going to give purists a heart attack anyway (wrong engine, interior and a color it wasn’t born with), what’s the harm in grafting in a ragtop section before body and paint are finished?

What years ragtops would be correct? 1956 to 1962?

FYI, I plan to do the car to a high standard and keep it for life.

Thanks for any advice.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Well is your car do what you want, why ask others for permission? I can care less what others think of my cars. FYI if it’s a 36hp but not original #’s matching to the car it’s still period correct. I guarantee 60%+ ovals out there with 36hp engines are not matching numbers. 56 to 63 rag tops will work. Make sure you use the older Golde style handle though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not the folding style like this, it’s for 63 bug only and for 64-67 bus.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

1956 has a one year only sunroof bow.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

I’m pretty sure that’s only on early 56, the back was square then they changed to all rounded corners in May.

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Speaking as one who has done exactly that, there are reasons to do it, and reasons not to.
Personally, I think if you have a generic oval, grafting in a rag makes it a cooler car.
I also think that a car should forever remain its original colour. (and appreciate the irony of those two statements)

What I have found is:
It adds value to the car
It is more fun on sunny summer days
It sets it apart.
You can take your pet giraffe with you on road trips.

On the other side:
It isn't original anymore and would be difficult to reverse if a future steward wants to put it back to bone stock.
Better do it right or it will be a hack rather than a graft.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

It is your car! Do whatever you want to it! Never mind the noise from anyone else, IT IS YOUR CAR, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO IT!!!!!

A ragtop, if you have the money, is the best thing ever! Except when you use a cheaply engineered, aftermarket ragtop that allows water to enter whenever you wash the car or drive it in a sprinkle of rain! Then a ragtop sucks!!!!

Get a roof section and get er done! I just completed mine in my 54! Found the three fold for $1500 + $500 shipping, missing most of the top sliding parts and having some major rust issues. But I will work through all of it! If you want to see what I went through, you can check out my build thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

Somewhere in the first 20 pages I welded in the rag section. Maybe later on. There are a lot of body repairs!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

My only advice is IF you do it, do it PROPERLY.

In 35+ years of VW's and such I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "too bad they grafted in a ragtop" when it was done properly.
I do think that there might be a few special cars that should be left untouched in whatever way they were originally built. But a regular old sedan oval of any vintage isn't on the list.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Never heard anyone say "Wish my car was a hardtop" Laughing
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Dave wrote:

I’m pretty sure that’s only on early 56, the back was square then they changed to all rounded corners in May.

Agreed, from May of 56 to February of 57 is like 10 months,,they went from 3 fold to 2 fold, and yes, I have Car Of The Century, and Progressive Refinements, as well.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

I don't have the Car Of The Century book, wish I did though. I just remember reading a thread years ago when I was wondering why my 56 didn't have square corners in the rear like a friend of mines 56.
Dave you probably have forgotten more than i will ever know about VW's Very Happy

1963 Hard Top

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Having a '59 og ragtop with fixed rear windows, the interior wind storm and increased drag at highway speeds effects top speed and gas milage.
I'd say go all in and add pop outs as well.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Dave you probably have forgotten more than i will ever know about VW's Very Happy

LOL Well, I have been learning longer than most, bought my first new one in 1969, and tomorrow I will no longer be the tender age of 70.. I still learn new things every day, I think that if you quit learning, you quit living, and I ain't ready for that Cool

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Get a roof section and get er done! I just completed mine in my 54! Found the three fold for $1500 + $500 shipping, missing most of the top sliding parts and having some major rust issues. But I will work through all of it! If you want to see what I went through, you can check out my build thread.

Somewhere in the first 20 pages I welded in the rag section. Maybe later on.

A little later than that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=500
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

LOL Well, I have been learning longer than most, bought my first new one in 1969, and tomorrow I will no longer be the tender age of 70.. I still learn new things every day, I think that if you quit learning, you quit living, and I ain't ready for that Cool

Well Happy Birthday Dave, You are a great asset to our VW community.

1963 Hard Top

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong engine, so why not graft a ragtop? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Somewhere in the first 20 pages I welded in the rag section. Maybe later on.

A little later than that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=500

Maybe I need an Table of Contents!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: