Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size? Reply with quote

I've been looking at the various wheel/tire sizes. My car is not lifted. I'm just wondering how much I can get away with?

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size? Reply with quote

Just guessing. 235/75-15 rear and 205 or 215/75-15 front? Maybe 7” rear rim and 5” front?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size? Reply with quote

What engine? A 40 horse struggles to pull anything much taller than stock with the stock 4.375 R&P transaxle. A 1600 engine behind a 40 horse transaxle could likely handle P225/70R15 tires out back. That is about 2 inches taller than stock so only a little lower rpm than the late model engine typically runs behind a 4.125 R&P transaxle.
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size? Reply with quote

Okay. Well I've got an update. I bought a second Baja. A 1970. So I'm going to put the rims and tires from the 70 on my 63 Baja just for rollers since the 63 is a work in progress and the tires are shot on it. Flatter than my girlfriend in junior high.

But I've hit a snag. I bought 2 EMPI "Race Trim' wheels and they are 6.5 inches wide. I have 15X 7.00 tires currently on the front of the 70 Bug and 15X 10.5 on the rear. I was going to go wider in the back but it doesn't seem that they make the EMPI's any wider. 6.5 seems to be the limit. I could have sworn that I saw some 8.5's but I sure can't find them now.

So do I put 6.5's all around or 4 inchers in the front so it has the fatter tires in back? Or have mismatched wheels? My dilemma.

These are the wheels that I bought. I like them. I'm just afraid they'll be to skinny.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Baja Bug wheel size? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
What engine? A 40 horse struggles to pull anything much taller than stock with the stock 4.375 R&P transaxle. A 1600 engine behind a 40 horse transaxle could likely handle P225/70R15 tires out back. That is about 2 inches taller than stock so only a little lower rpm than the late model engine typically runs behind a 4.125 R&P transaxle.

I don't know how to tell what the displacement is. I assume the 63 still has the 1200. It looks like it. It's still 6 volt and it sat for 39 years.

The 70 has what the guy that I bought it from said was a 2100 or something like that? Those were his exact words. He was just flipping it. He didn't know much. But I got a deal on it. I just bought it for the motor for my 63 it was cheaper than the motors I was looking at and I could drive it home and not have to lift anything. But I really kind of like the car. So plans changed and I have another project and I'm still looking for another motor.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: