Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volksrod - Power Window, Power Door Lock, Power Door Open
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Volksrod - Power Window, Power Door Lock, Power Door Open Reply with quote

I'm converting a '66 bug into a volksrod. I chopped the top and pulled out all the windows. I'm planning on converting the windows on the doors to powered, converting locks to remote powered, and shaving the door handles and popping the doors open when unlocking a door. I would also like to add a push button start that requires a key fob present and an option to pop open the front hood.

Ideally, I would like everything to integrate so I control it all with one key fob. I've never done this before so I don't know what products work best. Can anyone that has done this recommend a key fob system, universal power windows, power door lock, power hood lock, and door popper system that works well in a bug?
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volksrod - Power Window, Power Door Lock, Power Door Open Reply with quote

Check with the Hot Rod websites. They like all the same toys & ideas. You will not find VW specific parts, they and the car will need have adjustments made.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Volksrod - Power Window, Power Door Lock, Power Door Open Reply with quote

Look into an Arduino controller. Basically it’s a PLC that you can hang virtually anything off of. Short of that, look into aftermarket car alarm gear. Those can handle a lot of add on modules to do what you want.
Way back in the day, a guy I worked with did a lot of what you’re talking about.
I specifically remember him using door lock solenoids from a Coupe de Ville to pull the door handle and along with some shims to preload the hinges, the doors would pop open. For the power windows, there used to be a kit available but I don’t think so anymore.
He got most of his stuff from the Pull-a-Part junk yards. Those are getting hard to come by as well.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: