Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any one driving in this heat.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Had to use my bug to do a 40 round trip in this heat. Actually with the fly windows open and the rear side windows popped open it was not bad, till stopped for lights.

Engine ran at 210 oil temp.

Here in NY it is in the 90s. I forgot what is was like when most cars did not have A/C

But I must say water cooled cars do not break down as much as they used to.

Can't imagine how the guys in the west are doing.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Yes, still driving in the triple digit heat here and doing just fine. Like you said, it's really not bad so long as you keep moving.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Drive mine every day, been high 90’s to over 100 out this way, the only thing that could be worse would be not driving an ac vw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Took my Turbo Bug to get Bread & Milk ,(we had 94* yesterday), yep drives fine oil temps Control by fan on cooler Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Drove my bus a couple weeks ago back from Wyoming to Oklahoma and it was 105 during the peak of the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 90's in NY hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

talk to me about hot when you're in the mid hundred teens Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

I't not so much the heat it's the darn
"Humidity",, up here
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

I drive mine every day. It's all I drive.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Honestly the VW loses some fun points when the heat gets up past 90. Since it's regularly over 100 here this time of year, the bug doesn't move much. For most folks winter is the "off" season for the VW's. Here the summer is the off season.

I'll sill drive it at night or in the evening when the sun sets, but I don't commute with the Bug during the summer.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

When I came up with the idea for my magnet shield, here in the north I was thinking Snow and rain, not dust storms like you guys in the west get. In the past 2 weeks I have gotten more orders from the west. The dust and winds from the firers are a big issue.

I still take winter driving over summer when it gets this hot and humid.

Cold weather I can put on more cloths, in the heat you can only take off so much, ha.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

We went 6 hours one way to an air cooled VW meet yesterday. Left home at 5 AM at 49*F, layered up with sweaters, hoodies, gloves and rain gear. The windshield on our open Manx copy kept fogging over from the latent hanging moisture in the air. I ran the wipers on the outside and the Missus kept a squeegee going on the inside so we could see. About 3 hours into the ride I was seriously thinking hypothermia, then it started to warm a bit.

At the event it started out at 65*F and by late afternoon we were up to a balmy 69*F with sunshine! Perfect, but we had to get home again.

The trip home started out pleasant enough but by the time we got home at 1:30 AM this morning at 55*F we were thoroughly chilled right through again! We should have taken our winter parkas.

There you go! 12 hours of driving in our heat yesterday! Wink Great event though!

This week is forecast to be in the high 90s. Shocked

Last edited by oprn on Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Oprn,
your story reminded me my daily winter trip with my commuter buddy to NYC.

He did the windows.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Just last year on the first day of the cross country trip! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Everyday in San Antonio heat. I do a 40 mile round trip to work and back. Good times, good times.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Cold weather I can put on more clothes, in the heat you can only take off so much, ha.

Tell that to Mrs. Cusser !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
nextgen wrote:
Cold weather I can put on more clothes, in the heat you can only take off so much, ha.

Tell that to Mrs. Cusser !!!!

...or don't!
Shocked
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

KT Phil
I am with you on that one.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

Yep, sure am, wouldn't have it any other way. Very Happy

"...was not bad, till stopped for lights."

I have a 12vdc to 120vac inverter and a small fan on the passenger floor blowing up on me. When traffic slows or stops it makes a world of difference. Try it.

You're right about the side vents, they blow a ton of air on you at speed. You'd be crazy to get rid of them.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

We're in the beginning of a upper 90, low 100's heat wave here in the PNW,
I have bee DDing my 67 since the gas prices shot up.

While most of the time summer temps usually hover around the upper 80's.
It can get a little uncomfortable when we hit the 90's.

Sitting at intersections isn't too bad at lower temps.
I'll find out how bad it can get tomorrow when it's supposed to hit 104°F.

Luckily, I can park under the solar panels for a bit of shade.
Then when I leave work. It's a matter of rolling down the windows and hitting the road.

Stay cool, and drive your VW!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one driving in this heat. Reply with quote

No DD'ing duty for my bug but she has been out in the heat.

Heat indicies creeping into the 90-100s are not particularly fun in stop'n'go town traffic.

A $20 12vDC clip on 'trucker' fan, a few block ceramic magnets, and some duct tape helps at the stoplights though

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: