Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 911 fan
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

Wouldn't the porsche 911 fan be qualified to be in / on a vintage speed engine since it was available in the 60s ..what are your thoughts of these fans on a vintage speed engine/ car ...
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Wouldn't the porsche 911 fan be qualified to be in / on a vintage speed engine since it was available in the 60s ..what are your thoughts of these fans on a vintage speed engine/ car ...

If you think it should be, then it should be. Smile

Seriously.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

Not...

I've been involved with VWs since the early 70s and didn't see 911 fan conversions till the 80s when Bernie Bergmann started selling them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Not...

I've been involved with VWs since the early 70s and didn't see 911 fan conversions till the 80s when Bernie Bergmann started selling them.

It's a grey area Glenn...as with the regulations in the 36hp Challenge if the parts were available in the '60s they are acceptable. Whether they were commonly used or not is another story.

Who is the arbiter of the term "Vintage Speed"?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

maybe if it was a modified Porsche unit, but not the fiberglass kits available now
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

esde wrote:
maybe if it was a modified Porsche unit, but not the fiberglass kits available now

Agreed, the aftermarket fiberglass ones were not made till the 80s.

A d a real 911 shroud is way too long and not the right shape.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

This is the old school way Rolling Eyes
https://www.breuer.shop/images/carrera_587_2.jpg
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

The porsche 911 fan from 1963,1964 1965 and 1966 came with a 250mm fan housing , than later 67 - up they made a 245mm than the 225mm for the carreras/ rsr ...so I belive a 250mm type would work ...also why wouldn't a fiberglass shroud work rules for in land speed is use parts avaliable at the time and materials fiberglass was a thing since the 50s/60s lots of kit cars so folks were messing with it at the time..and If I were to put a 911 fan shroud it would be on a 1500cc performance okrasa 40hp case not 36hp ...yes I want looks something different but Era correct ...I thought about installing a 911 fan on a 36hp case since I have 2 cases with corrosion necks only way to save them is to mill the neck off and find a new cooling system even thought about the 4 cam system from kuzu since he makes kits for the porsche 356 pushrod engines .. but idk what landscaped would say or fellow landspeed guys if I milled a neck off a 36hp .I was told by some old school vw guys that it was wrong to mill a 36hp neck off since they are unique but at the end I don't see it wrong if I can save a cases with messed up necks "Gen stands" .. 911 or 4 cam fans were made pre Dec 1965 for the strict 36hp land speed rules these parts qualify by their own rules.. but I'm building a performance 40hp base I'm not really strict in race rules since I won't be racing I want looks and race parts from the era ..
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

48 IDA carbs need to have custom made manifolds made to fit them on Unlimited36 engines so why can't someone custom make a fan shroud to fit a 911 fan to a 36hp engine and be within the rules.

We can also use IDA copies instead of real IDAs so why can't someone use a copy of the 911 fan and housing.

The only downside I can see is what is the hp loss with the 911 fan as compared to the narrow 36hp fan with the fewest fins?

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
48 IDA carbs need to have custom made manifolds made to fit them on Unlimited36 engines so why can't someone custom make a fan shroud to fit a 911 fan to a 36hp engine and be within the rules.

We can also use IDA copies instead of real IDAs so why can't someone use a copy of the 911 fan and housing.

The only downside I can see is what is the hp loss with the 911 fan as compared to the narrow 36hp fan with the fewest fins?

brad

That's my point the rules in landspeed allows any pre-65 parts allowed just as long as you have proof they were made before dec1965 rules allow any modification to those parts to fit your engine if you can make it work you can use them ...rules also allow reproduction parts just as long as they are the same design of that pre 1965 part that your trying to reproduce..that's why Wolfsburg west prepop"okrasa" heads are allowed even aftermarket denzel heads are allowed just as long as it's the same heads/ parts that were available at the time that go for other parts....so if a 911 fan even the 4cam shroud was pre 1965 ..someone can make repops of those kits and use them just as long as it's identical to the pre 1965 specs porsche 911 fan has 11 blades bergmann has 12 so it's not the same I don't know the size of bergmann fans but the 63-65 porsche 911 fan housing is 250mm .. if the rules allow any modification to parts to fit.. I don't see why one can't use a fiberglass shroud fiberglass was a thing in those times folks where messing with it it was nothing new ..now lets say if fiberglass was a new thing in 1966 OK I can see why it wouldn't be allowed since it wasnt invented pre1965 but folks were messing with it in the 50s so I don't see why fiberglass shroud couldnt be used ...no I'm not trying to make new rules I'm going by the rules they set any parts are allowed just as long as those parts where available pre Dec 1965 and you have proof they were available...so one can cut the gen neck off a 36hp case and install a 4 cam or 2.0 250mm 911 fan since it was available and any modification can be done if you can make it work ..the rules are their rules ..is it normal no but one can do so if pleased I say I'm just trying to get info on what folks think ...just as you explained one can make a custom 48 ida manifold to fit.. was a 48ida manifold pre65 no but the rules allow it because 48ida carbs are pre65 so custom manifolds can be made any modification can be made to make 48ida carbs to fit..lots of landspeed folks modified their parts to fit so I don't see why one can't use a fiber glass shroud to fit the 250mm fan housing...i know yikes 😬 I just think it's not normal so it's a gray thing but it also has folks thinking why not ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

I don't see there being any problem, but if you are serious about it and staying within the rules, you could ask on the FB page for 36hp VW challenge.

The only drawback I can see, as I stated before, would be the hp losses in comparison to the early stock 36hp fan in a sport and class where every hp you can find is a benefit.

It would definitely look cool

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 911 fan Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I don't see there being any problem, but if you are serious about it and staying within the rules, you could ask on the FB page for 36hp VW challenge.

The only drawback I can see, as I stated before, would be the hp losses in comparison to the early stock 36hp fan in a sport and class where every hp you can find is a benefit.

It would definitely look cool

brad

Yeah I been thinking about the hp losses since its already hard enough to get hp out of these 36hp engines ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: