Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

I’ll be installing on GW 2.5 in the next couple of weeks and can report back.
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Great! I'm a month or two out.

livethevanlife wrote:
I’ll be installing on GW 2.5 in the next couple of weeks and can report back.

RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Just got my Mansi FI kit installed on my Syncro and will be getting it back next week. The shop is still dialing it in. I'll report back next weekend. Fingers crossed that it will be a definite improvement.
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Well I installed my MansiSpeed EFI coupled with his rockers and injectors last month. First break in was a run from Seattle to Bellingham, @ 200 miles round trip Wow very smooth with a even peddle reaction from idle to not quite "floored". I could hold 65-70 no problem even tickled 80!.

I run a full camper with a rebuilt 2.2 (by NWCR 30k ago) It is almost always loaded to some level with a stuffed Thule cargo box. So my gas mileage was a little lower then I would have hoped at 18 mpg but that may improve if I keep her closer to 60.

My second run was over Stevens Pass (4000 ft) to our cabin (250 miles RT). I have done this run for 20+ years and l know to the guardrail post when I need to downshift to 3rd. Normally it is at MP 59, 5 miles from the summit well I didn't get over top without downshifting but it was only 2 miles from the pass. Likewise on the return run I normally downshifting a Yodelin Rd but this time it was only the last 1500 ft before I was dropping below 50 mph.

Again mileage came in at 18 mpg. We start our maga trip of 4000 +/- mile through the Southwest tomorrow and I will be keeping a close eye on how she performs and what kind iof gas mileage we get over the entire trip.

Currently my only issue is the tune does "hunt" between 1000-2000 rpm until the water temp is "mid LED" which is 180 deg F per the super-cool downloaded TunerStudio MS app. Once she is warmed up she has a very stable idle.

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Great feedback!
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

1k-2k is a big hunt for idle. Do you know what causes that? What does Marco say?
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

I've been lurking this thread because I might be a customer...20-25 extra hp without having to tear down the engine and/or replace it. Hope lots of people who try this out are willing to share results.

What follows is in no way intended to be a slight to Marco and his shop's excellent work; I bought his injectors, and they work very nicely indeed, and his work by all accounts is a real boon to all Vanagon owners. But, I'd like to hear from Marco how one can get 20-25 extra hp by changing to modern fuel injection and ignition, as there aren't many details available on his website. I don't seriously doubt Marco's claim, but I'd love to know more about the improvements to the combustion and ignition processes that result in such a substantial upgrade. $2500 is a lot cheaper than a GoWesty 2.3 or a Suby conversion but it's still a lot of scratch; I'd love to know how it works. (Obviously...I understand if there are trade secrets involved.)

Twenty years ago, the thought of putting GM components in my VW would have caused me some mild hysteria, but...even GM has been dragged into the 211st century. Hats off to Marco for taking us along with it.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:
But, I'd like to hear from Marco how one can get 20-25 extra hp by changing to modern fuel injection and ignition, as there aren't many details available on his website.

add me to that list! but he states that gain is with 1.35:1 ratio rockers and MS-101 injectors. STILL!! that's great and i'm interested after some more user feedback.

i already have ratio rockers, not his kit but CB Performance. i DO have his injectors but being honest, noticed no difference over my clean OEM injectors. so with the obligatory-to-me spares and the EFI kit i'm looking at $2925. getting close to the cost of an engine. but if i put this on a 2.2 engine of my own doing, it might be pretty sweet to get the hp bump.

as you said, it is so great to have support of builders like Marco.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Here is GoWesty's dyno numbers for their EFI kit. It appears to be a more modest 10-15 hp gain

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoWesty also uses a knock sensor in their system. Not here to compare the two systems at all just more an fyi.

I too am a bit skeptical of 20-25hp by just adjusting fuel rates and timing curves.
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

I received a kit for a customers van yesterday. At first glance it all looks really nice. Ill be installing it over the course of the coming days and will report back.

1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

duplicate post
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat

Last edited by livethevanlife on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

duplicate post
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat

Last edited by livethevanlife on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

duplicate post
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat

Last edited by livethevanlife on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

WoW! 4 kits. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

From what I understand, GW uses a knock sensor because they are always running up near the knock threshold to meet CARB. Marcos's EFI doesn't run near the knock threshold because it's not meant to meet CARB. Perhaps not as good for the environment, but maybe a few more HP. Stand by for MM.

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
Here is GoWesty's dyno numbers for their EFI kit. It appears to be a more modest 10-15 hp gain

GoWesty also uses a knock sensor in their system. Not here to compare the two systems at all just more an fyi.

I too am a bit skeptical of 20-25hp by just adjusting fuel rates and timing curves.
nate

marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Jake59 wrote:
Well I installed my MansiSpeed EFI coupled with his rockers and injectors last month. First break in was a run from Seattle to Bellingham, @ 200 miles round trip Wow very smooth with a even peddle reaction from idle to not quite "floored". I could hold 65-70 no problem even tickled 80!.

I run a full camper with a rebuilt 2.2 (by NWCR 30k ago) It is almost always loaded to some level with a stuffed Thule cargo box. So my gas mileage was a little lower then I would have hoped at 18 mpg but that may improve if I keep her closer to 60.

My second run was over Stevens Pass (4000 ft) to our cabin (250 miles RT). I have done this run for 20+ years and l know to the guardrail post when I need to downshift to 3rd. Normally it is at MP 59, 5 miles from the summit well I didn't get over top without downshifting but it was only 2 miles from the pass. Likewise on the return run I normally downshifting a Yodelin Rd but this time it was only the last 1500 ft before I was dropping below 50 mph.

Again mileage came in at 18 mpg. We start our maga trip of 4000 +/- mile through the Southwest tomorrow and I will be keeping a close eye on how she performs and what kind iof gas mileage we get over the entire trip.

Currently my only issue is the tune does "hunt" between 1000-2000 rpm until the water temp is "mid LED" which is 180 deg F per the super-cool downloaded TunerStudio MS app. Once she is warmed up she has a very stable idle.

Hi Jake, great feed back, the hunting on warm up is just the Idle valve tuning, just got to change a few numbers and it won’t do that any more. Send me an email and I can sort it, thats the beauty of my system everything can be changed in seconds, your engine was rebuilt bigger and maybe a different cam than stock maybe higher compression, so sometimes small things need to change for it to run perfectly, but it not a problem.
Thanks
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
From what I understand, GW uses a knock sensor because they are always running up near the knock threshold to meet CARB. Marcos's EFI doesn't run near the knock threshold because it's not meant to meet CARB. Perhaps not as good for the environment, but maybe a few more HP. Stand by for MM.

Good point. Will you be doing a before and after dyno run to compare? Probably a hard thing to want to pay for though.

Nate
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

HA! NO! Very Happy

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

Good point. Will you be doing a before and after dyno run to compare? Probably a hard thing to want to pay for though.

Nate

thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

Don’t blame you….
Hope it does what you’re looking for!! Glad to see more options developed for these old vans
Nate
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MansiSpeed EFI kit is a hit! Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:
I've been lurking this thread because I might be a customer...20-25 extra hp without having to tear down the engine and/or replace it. Hope lots of people who try this out are willing to share results.

What follows is in no way intended to be a slight to Marco and his shop's excellent work; I bought his injectors, and they work very nicely indeed, and his work by all accounts is a real boon to all Vanagon owners. But, I'd like to hear from Marco how one can get 20-25 extra hp by changing to modern fuel injection and ignition, as there aren't many details available on his website. I don't seriously doubt Marco's claim, but I'd love to know more about the improvements to the combustion and ignition processes that result in such a substantial upgrade. $2500 is a lot cheaper than a GoWesty 2.3 or a Suby conversion but it's still a lot of scratch; I'd love to know how it works. (Obviously...I understand if there are trade secrets involved.)

Twenty years ago, the thought of putting GM components in my VW would have caused me some mild hysteria, but...even GM has been dragged into the 211st century. Hats off to Marco for taking us along with it.

.Hi, yes difficult to comprehend how there’s so much more extra horsepower to be made, but it really is true, unfortunately the standard digifant system was completely and totally engineered to meet emissions all the time everywhere. And now a very antiquated system, but completely revolutionary when it was first introduced.
One of the huge advantages that we have now are lightning fast wide band lambda sensors. These new sensors are so accurate coupled with the unimaginable speed of processing power, leads to very accurate fueling and ignition control. Making computational changes 50 times a second. The use of very strong coil over plug ignition systems and the fuel being itemized more efficiently altogether leads to a more powerful engine.
In my FI system I run higher than stock fuel pressure, this makes the fuel easier to mix with the air and better at completing total fuel combustion.
I do not run any sensor before the Throttle body, anything before the Throttle can reduce pumping efficiency of the engine,
I run a very accurate trigger wheel on the front pulley this makes sure that the timing and fueling is exactly fired in the place the ecu is programmed to fire, this is very important as timing scatter can impair the timing accuracy that consequently makes you less power.
I use a wideband lambda/O2 system, this allows me to run different air fuel ratios depending on the conditions of throttle. Basically you can have good power when you put your foot to the floor and when you’re just cruising along nice and lean so you get better economy. The stock system uses a narrow band sensor and physically can’t make the system rich enough for the Air fuel ratio that you request and that goes with any system using a single band sensor.
I don’t use a knock sensor, but I could do as the system can have one, but the waterboxer is very knock resistant, and when you do as much tuning as I have, you realize that the combustion chamber of a waterboxer does not like to run timing up into the knock limit, it actually makes efficient power 15/20deg before the Knock limit. modern engines are actually designed chamber wise to run at the knock limit. That’s why all modern engines run a knock sensor system. It’s just not need on the waterboxer and timing should never be run up there, I can actually run 15 psi of boost on the stock engine and still not have a knock condition.
Stock 2.1 MV with my rockers injectors and FI makes 117hp and 128ftlb of torque, drivability and overall wellness of the engine is improved dramatically.
I also stand behind all of my products 110% and if you have any problems or questions im always willing to help out.
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: