Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words!

brickster wrote:
Looks gnarly! I also own a 2004 Wrangler and it sounds like you know how to pick good lines.

I searched your revival thread for the magnet curtains but couldn’t find a reference. Are they DIY?

My mistake, Brickster--I posted those curtains in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695094&highlight=curtains

27 years in Colorado and I still can't believe I made such a rookie mistake, but I'm happy to report that the van probably needs the tires balanced (again) and an exhaust repair, but everything else is good. The damage was far more mental than mechanical. Smile

A few new bends and scrapes in the front bumper. Those things are so stout. The van's approach angles do suffer, though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A few scrapes on the clamshell. I'm glad I didn't taco this one like my poor prior clamshell.

A few more scrapes.

The driveshaft protectors did their job and took a few marks.

Bad photo, but the pinch weld is bent in and up ahead of the control arm.

Crushed tab on the homebrewed skid plate. (And a new oil leak!) The plate itself also took several good shots but it did its job; the oil pan wasn't affected.

Muffler scrapes. The muffler got pushed up into the rear apron and bent the apron out a little, but it was an easy fix to readjust the hangers and get the muffler back down. I also broke a weld between the cat and the muffler...If it was loud before, it is beyond obnoxious now.

I've looked around Youtube a bit to try to find good footage of the nastier parts of the trail, but it's kind of like watching golfers on putting greens on TV...There's no way to capture the true depth, especially when most of the cameras are on Jeeps with 33" tires.

Here's a short video of the weather conditions when I was there...This was shot the day after. Slick as hell.

Link

This video shows some of the technical stuff coming down the Ouray side, starting at about 11 minutes. However, this brand-new Defender had a sunny day and a spotter. But because it has relatively low clearance and normal tires, it gives better perspective on some of the shelves and stuff.

Link

Several of the jeeps in front of me had huge tires and wide tracks. So on the technical sections, it didn't *appear* to me that the drivers had to do much of anything except keep it on the trail, which I admit is probably more difficult than it looks. Their tires and articulation seemed to be doing most of the work.

I've read some reviews about the trail on a couple of websites and have found that it's very difficult to find accurate information. There's a lot of bragging. Few reviewers post anything about their specific machines, just that it's a "piece of cake" or that "it's got a couple of technical sections."

In any case, thanks for reading. I appreciate it. And I do love the fact that when you go out without a set plan, anything can happen. The San Juans are no joke, and are also the most beautiful mountains in Colorado. I plan on spending more time down there but will proceed with far more caution and foresight.

Oh and General Tires might have won a customer for life. I've bashed these tires previously here for being difficult to keep balanced, but they suffered no damage at all from what I can see and kept me on the trail.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Awesome trip report. I have a few questions.

* On the crazy scary part, were you going downhill?

* Do you have bigger brakes?

* Any brake fade?

* Whats your tire size, tire pressure, & R&P?

* Any excessive body sway in the technical stuff with the hightop & arm increase?

I think that supercharged engine you have in there really helped. I keep wondering if a lower R&P, say a 5.83 would have given you a little more comfort in the really difficult stuff. I do think a locker would have been a safe thing to have on standby though. I don't think it would have been safe to get out of your van at all if you had a tire in the air.

I'm glad someone is out there testing the max limits of these syncros Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
njg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Joe. Thanks for the ride. You guys have some great scenery over there.
We went out on the weekend on our first real 4wd test and the non locker passed the test with ease.
Neil
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

* On the crazy scary part, were you going downhill?

Yeah, going down the Ouray (west) side of the pass.

* Do you have bigger brakes?

No, brakes are stock and well-maintained.

* Any brake fade?

No, there wasn't a whole lot of braking necessary, I spent most of the time in Granny or 1st gear. I had to brake a lot on the serious drops, of course, to ease over the steps. I did ride the brakes when it got to the steeper downhill towards the end of the trail. But they held up fine.

Once you're off the trail, you still have about another 1000 feet of elevation drop into Ouray on highway 550, and the brakes weren't an issue.

* Whats your tire size, tire pressure, & R&P?

215/75/15 Grabber ATX aired down to 30.

GT 4.86 R&P

* Any excessive body sway in the technical stuff with the hightop & arm increase?

There were a few extremely sketchy off-camber sections, and places I had to go up on the mountain side of the trail to let others through.

There were a few steps where I was rocking off of the right rear and onto the left front where I thought I was going to roll. More precarious than any of the craziness I've been involved in in Moab. Those are the spots where I just about shit my pants.

I don't think the high top makes a lot of difference; I only put light, soft gear up there so weight shouldn't be an issue.

I think that supercharged engine you have in there really helped. I keep wondering if a lower R&P, say a 5.83 would have given you a little more comfort in the really difficult stuff. I do think a locker would have been a safe thing to have on standby though. I don't think it would have been safe to get out of your van at all if you had a tire in the air.

The uphill side from Lake City had a few wet, rutted, muddy, steep spots above tree line, mostly coming out of switchbacks. The extra power definitely helped there, but I felt confident in low crawling up those sections. If it had been dry, the Lake City side to the summit would have been much easier and nothing too serious.

On the nasty Ouray side, I spun the tires a few times getting through rock gardens, but never felt like I was in danger of getting stuck. I was more concerned with clearance and the drop-offs/shelves.

I got out of the van at the summit and at that grove with the pack of jeeps, and also one time further up on a switchback on the Ouray side. I couldn't see around the corner on that one for what was ahead so I got out to take a look.

I remember shaking my head and shrugging my shoulders because there was no good line, I just had to go straight through. That was one of the spots where I thought I was going to go off the edge.

I'm glad someone is out there testing the max limits of these syncros Cool

By accident! But I'm very proud of the van. I think it got in my head a little that every single other person on the mountain expressed no confidence in my Syncro. And not knowing what was coming really freaked me out.

The Canadian LR Discovery dudes seemed really shaken after coming up from Ouray, even though their rigs looked super capable. And they were nice dudes (Canadians) but seemed really concerned about what I was headed into. That definitely got to me.

One thing about Jeep people, they are confident to a fault. They never want any of their peers to know that they're wigging out I guess. Smile

I think a more lifted Syncro with bigger tires and lower gearing could have done better than mine did. I just didn't have enough clearance for the really ugly sections, and the articulation issue is what it is.

But then I wonder if a higher Syncro would have had a higher center of gravity and would have had more chance of rolling over? I don't know enough about 4 wheeling or physics to know.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

One more question, was there anything you would have done different looking back - like bring less stuff, or secured this or that more?

I know what you mean when you say freaked out. I've had mild PTSD a few times after off roading trips driving too close to the edge.

A huge bunus on the syncros & vanagans is the tight turning radius
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
One more question, was there anything you would have done different looking back - like bring less stuff, or secured this or that more?

I know what you mean when you say freaked out. I've had mild PTSD a few times after off roading trips driving too close to the edge.

A huge bunus on the syncros & vanagans is the tight turning radius

The tight turning radius is awesome. I was hoping the jeep guys up near the summit were able to watch me bounce through those switchbacks on the tundra. That was when I was still having fun.

I try to travel as light as possible when I'm solo. I don't bring anything I don't need, and everything in the van is tied down or anchored in case of an accident. So I don't know if I could have done anything differently except maybe looking at a damned map and not going that way. Smile

It took a couple of nights to get those rocks and cliffs out of my dreams. 😂

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Sounds like a awesome trip, wish I could have made it down to Boulder yesterday to hear about it.
Glad to see vans really getting used!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Monarch pass on dry pavement is more my speed.

Hat's off to you!
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Thanks for the enthralling trip report. Pushing boundaries is interesting. Being risk averse I don't do it often but it sure can create memories and learnings.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

I keep thinking a naturally aspirated engine at that altitude would have caused you to rev it a bit more. I could see issues with that on delicate, multi point turns. That's been my experience, anyway, along with the engine stalling. That Army film at 3:45 they tested engines at Pike's Peak.

Link

Link

Cool Your van has "air supremacy"
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

I've been over enigneer pass in my Syncro westy. biggest issue is that even in granny gear you can't crawl as low as any of the rigs with a true transfer case. this makes you hit things on the uphill faster than you would like for fear of stalling out, then not having enough low end torque to get back over the obstacle (I have a chipped 1.8t that starts to meaningfully spool at 2300 RPM).
for me its not so much the geometry and limited travel of the suspension (which is certainly a factor) but the low gearing just isnt low enough for most of our engine conversions. Perhaps not an issue with a diesel conversion, IDK.
FWIW I have slightly larger tires than Joe (235/70 R 16)
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

(Sigh). Thanks, I needed that.

Nice job, all the way round.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

My relatively small tires and Schwenk standard height springs (in addition to the conditions) were my biggest issues. With everything soaking wet, I was sliding on rock towards the cliff edge several times, which scared the shit out of me.

I didn't have any problems with tire slip or torque; it was really all clearance. I spun the tires once or twice, but I don't recall being concerned about it. I had enough grunt to get through the tough spots, and I think the TT 260/256 cam helped out.

I think the climb from the Ouray side would have been much more difficult, making those shelf climbs and trying to avoid rocks. There are a few on the Lake City climb, but the trail is wider and the shelf spots aren't as tall.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I think the climb from the Ouray side would have been much more difficult, making those shelf climbs and trying to avoid rocks. There are a few on the Lake City climb, but the trail is wider and the shelf spots aren't as tall.

Your avatar shows that you know how to go down shelf spots.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Your avatar shows that you know how to go down shelf spots.... Cool

All thanks to a great photographer!

It's a bit different in the dry desert with ten fellow Syncros and their very experienced pilots around to spot and direct. Plus, the absence of thousand foot cliffs makes Moab (at least the parts that we drive) a tad less stressful.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Quite a fun read, solid story telling! Sounded grueling. Especially in those conditions Shocked
Too bad you didn't film it, it appears you'd have been the first to document a Syncro ride over the top of Engineer.

I watched the defender video, doesn't actually look that bad, but then again GoPros usually don't document the truth. And sitting at the wheel looking over the edge sliding towards it on wet stones, a totaly different story, I get it.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

Maybe a drone next time. You can be controlling it to fly alongside and take video as you battle the switchbacks.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

For the next Syncro pilot who wishes to do that trail solo in the rain, I'll follow in one of those big ass Jeeps and shoot video. To preserve realism, I won't be allowed to offer any suggestions or spot/guide in any way. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
My relatively small tires and Schwenk standard height springs (in addition to the conditions) were my biggest issues. ..

Maybe tires like these aired down more with a set of 2" lift springs would have helped - as you noted.

Tire p/n SAM-25 in the link below would fit.

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/115

I have these lift springs. They are progressive. My Syncro with the springs below rode smoother than my '85 with Carat springs, and better than my original syncro springs too.

https://gowesty.com/products/coil-spring-bundle-sy...5058988197
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Colorado backyard trip (with near-death bonus) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
For the next Syncro pilot who wishes to do that trail solo in the rain, I'll follow in one of those big ass Jeeps and shoot video. To preserve realism, I won't be allowed to offer any suggestions or spot/guide in any way. Smile

I have a medium ass Jeep, when are we doing this? Very Happy

Agree with tjet on airing down more than one thinks. IMO, It’s the easiest and cheapest ’mod’ one can do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: