Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LEAKS FIXED !!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: LEAKS FIXED !!! Reply with quote

woo hoo, i fixed my leak today , replaced seals on 2 of the pushrod tubes, and im good to go now .. i even left it sit and run for almost 1/2 hour to look for leaks ... none ... i cant believe i dove right in and tackled the problem. im usually real nervous about doing anything pertaining to the engine and its workings. anyways, problems fixed, and im a happy camper (and so is my camper) again.
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe not, but it HAS been slowed considerably. im not sure if i did soemthing wrong or not, i pulled off the rockers, replaced the o-rings on the 2 tubes leaking , put them back in, used a socket to tap them back in, because they didnt wanna just slide in , put the rockers and retaining wire back in place and ran it ... for 1/2 hour, not a single drip ... much better then the drop a second i was loosing before hand, but im STILL not sealed up , and its irritating me. was i supposed to do something differently ? its leaking out at the head, not in at the block. i wonder what i did wrong that its still leakin a bit ??
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I just did that yesterday also under Amskeptic's VERY watchful eye. He told me that everything has to be absolutely clean. We used gumout as a solvent and wiped everything clean with many paper towels. Special care should be taken with the O ring grooves. Clean clean clean. Baptised the new o-rings with a fresh dunk in new oil of the kind you use.

It is important to not pinch the new brown o-rings as they go in into the head and the green ones where the spring hold the tubes. We had to kind of rotate them back and forth (either by hand or very gently with a pair of vise grips which pushing the tube in) as we gently hand pushed (best) and gently tapped with a socket the same size as the tube.

Still learning after all these years.

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hansh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
very gently with a pair of vise grips which pushing the tube in) as we gently hand pushed (best) and gently tapped with a socket the same size as the tube.

Thanks for opening that door Randy. I don't even attempt to take my push rod tubes in or out without a pair of vice-grips. I also clean meticulously. A small set of rounded mouth vice-grips is great for the job. Since it is such a quick process to get them all back in, I ask my wife to help push from the outside.

Hans
marsmensch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using regular oil I used lucas on my o-rings. I can even see the edge of one of the o-rings in the head but it isn't leaking or at least not yet. I do have a pretty bad leak out of a bolt in the side of the case it's either the bolt is stripped or the whole threads. I figure I'll get around to it next oil change. I'm hoping it's the bolt and not the threads.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marsmensch wrote:
Instead of using regular oil I used lucas on my o-rings. I can even see the edge of one of the o-rings in the head but it isn't leaking or at least not yet.

They are visible from the head...oil is the perfect lubricant for installing push rod tube seals. The only thing else I would ever recommend is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant. Any kind of RTV is a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
I do have a pretty bad leak out of a bolt in the side of the case it's either the bolt is stripped or the whole threads. I figure I'll get around to it next oil change. I'm hoping it's the bolt and not the threads.

The case bolts require sealant at assembly time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeus,
you're not too far from me. if you can't tame these push rod tube seals send me a pm and i'll give you a hand. it's not hard to do, just clean,clean,clean everything and take your time. also, change em all, not just the ones leaking at present.

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually Dave, i might like to come take a look at your partsing-out bus anyways , what are your plans for the 4th ? if you arent having/going to any cookouts or doing some kind of family gig, maybe i could stop by. i DIDNT clean up with berkible or anything, that must be why im still drippin real slow. i was nervous as all heck thinkin i was gonna get it all apart and need to call the local aircooled guy to tow and fix it, but it was actually cake, aside from the choice words i screamed when i smacked my head off the corner of the sliding door cuz i forgot i left it open
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be fortunate to be doing my medic gig on the 4th (should prove an interesting shift) Shocked when else would you be able to make the trip?

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i THINK im off the following sunday also (or maybe its tuesday right after the 4th, ill have to look).

ill prolly get there and wanna swap all my stuff over to that one, cuz mines starting to rust out in the rockers

any of your other westys actually for sale yet ?
marsmensch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
marsmensch wrote:
Instead of using regular oil I used lucas on my o-rings. I can even see the edge of one of the o-rings in the head but it isn't leaking or at least not yet.

They are visible from the head...oil is the perfect lubricant for installing push rod tube seals. The only thing else I would ever recommend is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant. Any kind of RTV is a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
I do have a pretty bad leak out of a bolt in the side of the case it's either the bolt is stripped or the whole threads. I figure I'll get around to it next oil change. I'm hoping it's the bolt and not the threads.

The case bolts require sealant at assembly time.

Lucas is 100% petroleum. One of my pushrod tubes lip was a bit bent and is more visible. That's what I was refering to. I tried to flatten it out a bit but it still had a small crease I'm guessing someone used a screwdriver to put it back in?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: