Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aviator8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

I'm getting things put back together and since things were not right originally I am trying to determine the correct parts to protect and route the accelerator cable. I have this part:

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-131-721-551/
as well as this part

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/accelerator-cables...p;src=1879

but they don't seem to fit well together.

What I am trying to determine is as the cable leaves the tube is my flex line suppose to go into the boot shielding the clutch boden tube and slide over the metal tube? Its a tight fit and doesn't seem right. If it does not do that it seems I have a wear point for the cable and the flexible sheath would just flop around loose in there. If it is supposed to slid over the tube then the other side is narrow and will not interface with the hard line that goes through the doghouse. I am wondering if I got the wrong parts, or I am missing a part that makes all this fit.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

I don't remember any Bowden tube on the throttle cable.

I thought it just exited the tunnel and went open to the metal tube in your first link.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

My 1970 sedan definitely had a bowden for the accelerator cable, from factory.

About 2018 I ordered a new bowden, but it didn't fit and I ended up returning it and re-using my old worn one.

Remember to secure that steel tube with a hose clamp on the forward/hidden side of the fan shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

The "bell" end of the 66/67 accelerator cable bowden tube, should point toward the engine.
The fan shroud metal cable guide tube slides into the bowden tube bell.
And the throttle cable slides through the entire tube system.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
aviator8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The "bell" end of the 66/67 accelerator cable bowden tube, should point toward the engine.
The fan shroud metal cable guide tube slides into the bowden tube bell.
And the throttle cable slides through the entire tube system.

Ok that makes sense, but then the narrow end of the bowden tube going back toward the chassis, do I just push it through the rubber seal and it just kind of floats in front of the steel tunnel exit tube?
aviator8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My 1970 sedan definitely had a bowden for the accelerator cable, from factory.

About 2018 I ordered a new bowden, but it didn't fit and I ended up returning it and re-using my old worn one.

Remember to secure that steel tube with a hose clamp on the forward/hidden side of the fan shroud.

Thanks, did not know that.
aviator8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

Made a video to show the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxaGBYKZbiI
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

Great video explaining your dilemma.

To be honest, I have never had a car off the pan.

You should finish the rubber bowden tubes seal installation.
It maybe that the seal makes up the difference between the throttle tube through the pan tunnel, and the bowden tube between the tunnel and the engine.

Maybe ream out the bell end of the bowden tube, to fit the engine throttle cable tube better.
Aftermarket parts take a bit to get fit correctly.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

Read your question yesterday and it lead me to REMOVE my bowden tube last night. The operation of my accelerator cable was sticking. Taking the tube off soved it. Probably not the best solution but......

My question is why didn't the metal tube going thru the fan shround come from the factory with some means of securing it? Everything seems to me to be so well engineered on these cars. If something isn't working well, I ALWAYS am doing/installing/ whatever wrong.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

NachoCar wrote:
My question is why didn't the metal tube going thru the fan shroud come from the factory with some means of securing it? Everything seems to me to be so well engineered on these cars. If something isn't working well, I ALWAYS am doing/installing/ whatever wrong.

The slant means gravity keeps it there. If gravity fails, we have deeper problems than our old VWs working! Wink
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable as it leave the tunnel- 1967 beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
NachoCar wrote:
My question is why didn't the metal tube going thru the fan shroud come from the factory with some means of securing it? Everything seems to me to be so well engineered on these cars. If something isn't working well, I ALWAYS am doing/installing/ whatever wrong.

The slant means gravity keeps it there. If gravity fails, we have deeper problems than our old VWs working! Wink

QFT! Fer reals!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: