Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
RCJH77 wrote:
Got it!

Great! Bet it feels a lot less loose now.

Absolutely. There's no movement now. Thumbs Up

I also got the safety wire added.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put everything back together and took it for a test drive. The shifting seems a little smoother, but the grinding into 1st, 2nd, and reverse is still there. I'll try adjusting the stop plate again and change the transmission oil.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the two bolts on the bottom of my transmission are for? I assume one or both of them is a drain, but everything I've read so far leads me to believe that the drain plug is a 17mm female plug, not a bolt. Maybe the PO replaced it?

And what about the two 17mm female plugs on the drivers side of the tranny?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

The two on the bottom are for draining the gear oil. The two on the side are for internal adjustments.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
The two on the bottom are for draining the gear oil. The two on the side are for internal adjustments.

Thank you!!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
I put everything back together and took it for a test drive. The shifting seems a little smoother, but the grinding into 1st, 2nd, and reverse is still there. I'll try adjusting the stop plate again and change the transmission oil.

When does it grind going into 1st and reverse? Are you sitting completely stopped with the engine running and clutch pushed in, and it grinds a little going into 1st and reverse? That hints at a clutch problem.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

When does it grind going into 1st and reverse? Are you sitting completely stopped with the engine running and clutch pushed in, and it grinds a little going into 1st and reverse? That hints at a clutch problem.

That's exactly what's happening. It grinds at a dead stop. 😖
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

How much clutch pedal play do you have??
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Grinding going into reverse and 1st. stopped, with the engine idling can be from a bad pilot bearing. It might also affect the shift to 2nd gear. However this is a fairly rare occurrence on Type 1 engines. The pilot bearing is what is pressed into the bolt that holds the flywheel on, called the "gland nut" but it's not a nut, it's a bolt.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
How much clutch pedal play do you have??

Not much at all. I had over-tightened it about a week or so ago, but I've since loosened it again. There's a little bit of free play, but not a lot. I may need to loosen it some more.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

So I just removed the drain plugs on the transmission and this is what they looked like. Can't be good, right?

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

It depends on how many years and miles this has been accumulating. If you are measuring decades of service, this is typical.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

How much pedal play, as in measure it with a ruler or six inch scale. Then check the owners manual for the range allowed.

Steel light shavings are fine, and normal. You just do not want to find steel chunks of pin head or bigger size.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
It depends on how many years and miles this has been accumulating. If you are measuring decades of service, this is typical.

Okay, good to know. I'm guessing it hasn't been changed in years.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
How much pedal play, as in measure it with a ruler or six inch scale. Then check the owners manual for the range allowed.

Steel light shavings are fine, and normal. You just do not want to find steel chunks of pin head or bigger size.

I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks for the clarification!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Pedal play is now within the range stated in the manual.

Unfortunately, after changing the transmission fluid and readjusting the stop plate (tried to make it dead center), the grinding problem is now worse. So much so that now I can't even get it to go into first gear. The grinding is way louder now, too.

I'm at a loss. Between installing the new bushing, draining and refilling the fluid, adjusting the clutch, and adjusting the stop plate at least three times now, I would think all of these things would at least make the problem a little better, not worse. Unless you guys can think of anything I may have missed, I'm starting to think I need to tow it to a professional.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Then we would bet you have one or more broken welds to the clutch cable chassi tube.

http://thebugshop.org/bsfqtube.htm

More here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Had the same with rear weld in the 1960 walk thru panel camper.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

You're doing great work addressing the problem yourself and you're better off leaning how to repair it yourself. Samba has the answers and many have made this repair before. If it is the welds broken free, TDCTDI documents opening the tunnel to repair and documents EVERYTHING he does to his vehicles with great details.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I appreciate the support!

Best I can tell, the welds on the clutch cable tube seem to be good. The weld under the back seat inspection plate is good and under the shifter, I see no movement whatsoever when the clutch pedal is pressed down. I also don't hear anything moving in the tunnel.

So I made a couple more videos. The first is showing the shift coupler as I shift through the gears with the motor off:
https://youtu.be/bUc40Egx8x8

The second is the noises it makes as I try to shift with the car running:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Bk8uhdSX9J8

In the second video, I wasn't able to get it into first, second, or reverse.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I tried adjusting the clutch cable again and now it'll go into every gear, but first and reverse still have a little grind. So essentially I'm back to where I started, which is okay for now. At least I can drive it!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Have you been able to look at the front clutch cable mount in the tunnel, the one right behind the pedal cluster? If that breaks you get the sensation of a rubber band for a clutch cable, and grinding going into non synchro gears at a stop. It is hard to see with the pedals in place, but with them out a camera phone with a flash should be able to snap a shot and show one side of that mount broken. I've fixed this on 2 buggies, (frame shortening can remove the center mount) the repair would be less fun in a Bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: