Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Where is the oil coming from? Is that gear oil or motor oil? That concerns me some. I would do some clean-up in there and I would wiggle the operating shaft to see how loose it is in the transaxle case.

I think the cross shaft is fine and the clips you have are better than original. Next I would take the clutch pressure plate off and see how the disc and flywheel surface look. I would replace the pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch disc. Hopefully that is all that is needed and you don't find a barked up flywheel.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Sure look like it is worn badly. Do you have a dial or vernier caliper to measure for wear??

Good call. I'll take some measurements tomorrow. 👍
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Where is the oil coming from? Is that gear oil or motor oil? That concerns me some. I would do some clean-up in there and I would wiggle the operating shaft to see how loose it is in the transaxle case.

I think the cross shaft is fine and the clips you have are better than original. Next I would take the clutch pressure plate off and see how the disc and flywheel surface look. I would replace the pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch disc. Hopefully that is all that is needed and you don't find a barked up flywheel.

Good question re: the oil. At this point, I have no idea. I'll do as you suggest and report back. Having no frame of reference, I just assumed that was normal.

The bent pressure plate seems wild to me. That had to have been some serious violence in there to cause that. Poor install? An oil leak? I don't know. But yeah, I'm going to replace everything and hope for the best.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Amount of oil in the bell housing looks fine. Even in the workshop manuals they mention some must get by to lubricate the seals.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
RCJH77 wrote:

Tried to get some better pics of the operating shaft arms. Can you tell if these look worn?

Sure look like it is worn badly. Do you have a dial or vernier caliper to measure for wear??

I fully agree in removing and replacing that cross shaft. It is badly worn. Same
With the throw out bearing! Pressure plate is shot and the disc. Replace all of it and be done with it! Did not read about you checking the pilot bearing?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
RCJH77 wrote:

Tried to get some better pics of the operating shaft arms. Can you tell if these look worn?

I fully agree in removing and replacing that cross shaft. It is badly worn. Same
With the throw out bearing! Pressure plate is shot and the disc. Replace all of it and be done with it! Did not read about you checking the pilot bearing?

Yeah but, who supplies an unsupported TOB cross shaft.
On the ops car only one side is supported.
I have never seen one like that. But I only have owned 67 and later cars.
So maybe I'm just ignorant! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I do not believe you can remove the clutch cross shaft in the split case transaxle without removing the transaxle and disassembling it. It looks like the case has to be split to get it out. The 1960 and earlier Bug (1959 and earlier Bus) transaxle is much different than the later stuff. I don't think the cross shaft is excessively worn based on earlier pictures showing that the bearing retainer clips fit fairly strait.

Here are some pictures of that early stuff: This is a operating shaft and bushing for sale here on theSamba, and here is an operating shaft from Heritage Parts. (I have not purchased anything from either, I found these looking for parts and pictures.)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I have never seen one like that. But I only have owned 67 and later cars.
So maybe I'm just ignorant! Shocked

Stock for all VWs with split case up to end of 1960 model year, with the exception of the bus in MAY59 when that type switched to the tunnel case.

Searched just a few days ago online and found a few up for sale.

Three are for sale in the TS classifieds thru a search for "Operating Shaft".
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Big problem is with the split case transaxle to replace the operating shaft requires removing transaxle from the VW and splitting it in half.

There was an aftermarket replacement operating shaft that could be installed without transaxle removal, but those are near rare to find new.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Upon closer inspection of the clutch and pressure plate, it sure seems like the PO didn't follow instructions when installing these parts. 🤦‍♂️

Looking forward to seeing that FedEx truck tomorrow!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I installed a new transmission shaft seal tonight and I'm wondering if this looks correct to you all. For reference, here's the old seal:

And here's the new seal. To be clear, they're definitely different seals. The old one has the VW stamp on it, while the new one is from Wolfsburg West, and not an authentic VW seal.

I tapped away at this thing as much as I could and without really smashing it, it doesn't seem to want to go in anymore than this.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Confirmed with a WW rep that the seal is good as-is. 👍

Onto the next issue. I finally got the flywheel off, only to discover that there was only one shim behind the gland nut and it was broken. Back to the books and YouTube. 🤦‍♂️

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

sooooo,
re shimming a running engine is sort of Russian roulette if you don't know what to measure, and how to account for any movement if the #1 main is loose in the case.
With a new engine, you mount the flywheel, and tap it forward, then back, and measure how much it moves. You add enough shims to take up the slack, but not so tight that it seizes tight when it gets hot and expands.
But if the bearing is loose in the case, it's easy to end up too tightly shimmed and seize things. Knock the crank back and forth, can you feel the bearing move if you have a finger on it while tapping on the pulley? Push the bearing towards the pulley while tapping the pulley towards your finger. If it's loose you will feel it.
SD
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

I jumped the gun. Sorry about that. What I thought was a shim was actually the gland nut washer. Still needs to be replaced, but just needed to clarify that.

That said, @esde, if my shims are good, do you still recommend going through that process?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

No, then just reinstall them and get a new seal
Good luck
SD
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

**New potential problem**

Reading through the flywheel removal/installation steps in my Bentley workshop manual, there's a note that says:

"From engine No. 2 542 727, the teeth of the flywheel will no longer be chamfered at the side where the starting motor pinion engages."

The motor I'm working with is No. 2 826 300, but my flywheel is chamfered. (This motor is not the original, but is the one that's been paired with this flywheel since I took ownership of the bug.)

Should I be concerned about this? Do I need a different flywheel? I'm thinking it's not an issue, but I'm just not sure why they would switch from chamfered to not chamfered.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

That should not be a problem. My guess is they figured out the chamfer wasn't needed so it was dropped to save money. I've never even looked for that, only the condition of the gear teeth.
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
That should not be a problem. My guess is they figured out the chamfer wasn't needed so it was dropped to save money. I've never even looked for that, only the condition of the gear teeth.

Okay, good deal. Thanks!
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

So I'm waiting on two more parts that should be here by Friday and then I'll have everything I need to put this motor (36 hp) back in. In the meantime, I've been researching the flywheel and clutch install (including checking the end play). What I'm most concerned about at this point is the "permissible unbalance" of the crankshaft, flywheel, and clutch. Best I can tell, I have no paint marks (see excerpt below), and only the two drilled spots on the flywheel (4-dowel version). According to my Bentley Workshop Manual (1958-1960):

"In order to counteract the existing permissible unbalance of crankshaft, flywheel, and clutch, the heaviest points of these parts are marked. In assembly, it should be made sure that these marks are 120 degrees apart. If only two of the three parts are marked, the marks should be 180 degrees apart."

To me, this seems like a pretty important step, yet according to this post (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423100&highlight=flywheel+installation), it says not to worry about it.

So 13 years after that post, do you all agree that it's not important?
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Beetle 6v - Gearshift Housing Bushing / Shifting issues Reply with quote

Adding this for future reference for the group.

I just heard back from a VW engine builder and here's what he had to say. I'm going to go this route.

"Put crank top dead center of number 1. Flywheel has hp weight drill markings behind the teeth. Those go at the 4 o'clock setting. The clutch has weight drill marks on the edge. They go at the 9 o'clock setting."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: